Jim

Scale Modeling General Discussion

10 hours ago, Dennis Bosman said:

There is quite some stuff around on the Technic/Model Team subforums including mine. But I'm not sure what will happen with these e.g. moved to this part.

I must admit; now we have this sub area it'll motivate me much more to post some stuff since I was just active once in a while on EB.

And that means not just 'simple upgraded' VW Beetles and Minis. We're trying to collect really own made stuff based on the real thing. It can either be a truck, car, vessel, aircraft or whatever it might be. True Technic builds and fantasy stuff doesn't belong here.

To make things easier, I have created a topic where you can post links to the topics which need to be moved:

That great to hear Dennis. I would love to have you as an active member here!

And I totally agree with your assessment of upgraded Beetles and Minis :thumbup:

18 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Ok Jim. Then here is my first question: While building a suspenssion system or the floor pan of a car, how do you guys keep your builds inside the measurements? I know sariels scaler to get measurents but how do you keep your structures inside those measurements. Do you bild something like a jigg/frame as a tool or how do you approch it?

I have created a topic for questions like this:

16 hours ago, efferman said:

sure

So actually there is only a need to be in the scale dimensions which the builder has choosed and it needs to have a real thing as idol?

Exactly, the only one more thing that should be considered is to take LEGO tires as factor to determine proper model scale; example new Xerion tires when representing in 1:18 models can give some 1930mm real tire representation - tires like 710/70R38,,,62,4 truck tires can represent 1125mm tire - which is typical for U.S trucks like ones made by Ingmar, or for Unimogs or eve Zetros (they usually have bigger tires) that ordinary trucks...95mm tire can represent 1700mm real tire etc...

Idea to make same kind of gentlemen agreement for scale modeling is great, put with current LEGO parts, I'm afraid that models will be (again) to wide, specially models with hub reduction...*huh*

13 hours ago, M_longer said:

You are not going to move some topics here? Like Ingmar's trucks?

Yes we are. But we can't find them by ourselves. So it would be great if you guys can post your MOCs in the MOCs to Move topic I've just created.

We tried adding the scale tag to forum topics, but they are still hard to find and it's hard to tell which ones we already covered.

Hello

I would like to suggest that on this subforumi It was only possible to create new topics when presenting a new model or wip.

All other topics in other subforums.

6 hours ago, Samolot said:

I would like to suggest that on this subforumi It was only possible to create new topics when presenting a new model or wip.

All other topics in other subforums.

Although I like the idea, I think we should keep all scale modeling topics in this forum. We will be strict, so it will not contain lots of useless topics.

Congratulations to the moderators and all contributors for the idea to create this great subforum! I appreciate especially the efforts of our good Dutchie fellows, thanks for the pioneer work from people like Jaap Kroon amongst others.

One thing that I personally would like to be changed: the background page is beautiful, but doesn´t show any supercars, instead there are 2 trucks (no offense, but they are also from the same builder). IMHO supercars make an important theme which drags people into our wonderful hobby and then into serious building – so they should be represented here as well. I really don´t apply for any of my models to be shown, there are better ones out there.

10 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Congratulations to the moderators and all contributors for the idea to create this great subforum! I appreciate especially the efforts of our good Dutchie fellows, thanks for the pioneer work from people like Jaap Kroon amongst others.

One thing that I personally would like to be changed: the background page is beautiful, but doesn´t show any supercars, instead there are 2 trucks (no offense, but they are also from the same builder). IMHO supercars make an important theme which drags people into our wonderful hobby and then into serious building – so they should be represented here as well. I really don´t apply for any of my models to be shown, there are better ones out there.

Thanks!

There's an engine for a supercar :tongue:

I understand what you mean, but we had to start with something. I also understand that using existing models tends to look like some sort of favoritism. But the fact of the matter is that there are lots of thing missing in the banner. Can't please everyone.

But if you can provide a decent picture of a scale model supercar, preferably Orange, I would be happy to look into it.

One other important thing;

We need to be careful with adding pure Technic MOCs to this forum. While some can be considered Scale Models, I don't want to flood this forum with pure Technic Models.

This goes for brunojj1's supercars, but even more for Thirdwigg's Unimog (sorry mate). So, we will discussing things with staff members and tell you what the outcome is.

UPDATE ON THE GUIDELINES

We (staff) have discussed it and we have come to the conclusion that pure Technic (not counting a few plates here and there) belongs in the Technic Forum. The SMF is for advanced Model Team like models, built in scale, representing a real world counterpart. 

I know this may sound a bit harsh, but if we allow pure Technic models in here, we will open up a big can of worms. Furthermore; we have the Technic Forum for Technic models. This forum is meant for models, which would end up in no man's land.

Please don't think that your models are less cool and therefor don't belong here. We simply need to keep some of the awesome MOCs in Technic :wink: 

I will move the Technic models back to Technic. 

Thanks @Jimfor this update. This will help for sure...

It is indeed not about being better or less, absolutely not. It is indeed about builds ending up in "no man's land" and this is a great way to avoid this from happening.

That´s tough..., but now it´s clear at least. The title is misleading and rather should be named " studded & plated Model Team subforum" or something - "Scale modeling" in general absolutely doesn´t mean that per definition.

@Jim: I wanted to mention something funny about Orange and supercars and stuff, but now it´s obsolete anyway :grin:.

6 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

That´s tough..., but now it´s clear at least. The title is misleading and rather should be named " studded & plated Model Team subforum" or something - "Scale modeling" in general absolutely doesn´t mean that per definition.

You are absolutely right about the name and definition etc, but we still like to keep the current name :wink: 

"Studded & Plated Model Team in Scale Representing a Real World Counterpart but it can't be Technic" just isn't catchy enough :tongue:

6 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

@Jim: I wanted to mention something funny about Orange and supercars and stuff, but now it´s obsolete anyway :grin:.

You can be funny in the Technic forum :tongue: :laugh:

Good initiative, this new board!

One little question: why is it in Technic? I think scale modeling is not just part of Technic. I think there are quite a few great scale models in the Special themes forum, and undoubtedly also in other boards. For example, does architecture count as scale modeling? For example, buildings such as these ones?

5 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Good initiative, this new board!

One little question: why is it in Technic? I think scale modeling is not just part of Technic. I think there are quite a few great scale models in the Special themes forum, and undoubtedly also in other boards. For example, does architecture count as scale modeling? For example, buildings such as these ones?

We have discus that many times with the moderators and it will not fit in the special theme forum, with also Fabuland and collectable Minifigures.:wink:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Have you also discussed the option of this being a main board in the Themes index; not a subforum of anything?

The reason I'm asking is because I hope for more exposure, so that all the great scale models can be collected here, not only technical ones. I don't know if this would be the right way, I'm just thinking out loud.

Yes we have. Please read the index.

SCALE MODELERS FORUM

Currently the Scale Modeling forum is a subforum of the Technic Forum. If this forum has proven its popularity, we might promote it to a dedicated forum.

This is a great idea for a subforum, all those beautifull models deserve to be together. :thumbup:

I know this is a new project and that it's still work in progress, but I have one sugestion: in the Scale Modeling Index, you could try to group the creations by type (e.g. Trucks, Boats, Tanks, Trains, etc.). That would make it a lot easier for us users to navigate the forum given the amount of amazing MOCs that are already in this forum and with many more to come, I hope!

Sorry for overloading the managers :grin:

Keep up the great work!

I think you're up to something :thumbup: I like your idea. It is easy to loose track in this forum or in any other forum for that matters :classic: Such an index might help a lot... 

1 hour ago, jotta93 said:

This is a great idea for a subforum, all those beautifull models deserve to be together. :thumbup:

I know this is a new project and that it's still work in progress, but I have one sugestion: in the Scale Modeling Index, you could try to group the creations by type (e.g. Trucks, Boats, Tanks, Trains, etc.). That would make it a lot easier for us users to navigate the forum given the amount of amazing MOCs that are already in this forum and with many more to come, I hope!

Sorry for overloading the managers :grin:

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! This is what we had in mind for the Index. Actually there's an API for the board and I might be able to write some software to automatically update an index. That would minimize the manual workload. But we probably need to start defining and using tags (truck, boat, tank, train, etc) for the topics!

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Thanks! This is what we had in mind for the Index. Actually there's an API for the board and I might be able to write some software to automatically update an index. That would minimize the manual workload. But we probably need to start defining and using tags (truck, boat, tank, train, etc) for the topics!

Great idea and will give every new topic a tag where the moc will belong here.

Thanks to everyone involved in creating this new subtheme!

It makes this forum even better (which is hardly possible). Hopefully some great scale modeling builders out there will join us and share there models and ideas.

3 hours ago, chiefsalami said:

What MOC is that in the leftmost part of the banner in the scale models forum? The technic engine?

It's Paul's (Crowkillers) Engine. I will remove it from this banner though, since it's purely Technic.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

It's Paul's (Crowkillers) Engine. I will remove it from this banner though, since it's purely Technic.

Maybe you can use one if this engine for the banner Jim ?!

8560147798_cf8e52f11e_c.jpg

8560147832_659abc3c40_c.jpg

That works really well!

And I did learn a thing or two about cutting out images, so that's a win win. Color masking in Photoshop for the win :thumbup: