DugaldIC

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (instructions and parts list now available, thank you Thorsten50)

The buwizz doesn't stand out so it works with the color. Has it been test driven? Looks very heavy, is it?

Love the bodywork, especially in the overhead shot, the curvy part where the rear window meets the spoiler. Very creative use of the part :thumbup:

On the other shot, showing rear / side view, the roof looks a bit high. but maybe it is just the photo angle. :classic:

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

The buwizz doesn't stand out so it works with the color. Has it been test driven? Looks very heavy, is it?

Well I test drove it and weighed it, it's currently 5.15 pounds and drives great, even in slow/med/fast modes on the buwizz! It's not the fastest but 4th gear is a typical drive speed on a direct driven car. 

1 hour ago, miobricks said:

Love the bodywork, especially in the overhead shot, the curvy part where the rear window meets the spoiler. Very creative use of the part :thumbup:

On the other shot, showing rear / side view, the roof looks a bit high. but maybe it is just the photo angle. :classic:

Thanks! That rear wheel arch panel for the rear just fit too perfectly to not use, as for the roof it's the right size and shape according to Sariels scaler. If anything it's missing it's the roll off the edge like a real car has that's soo hard to recreate in Lego! Once it's all done you'll see for yourself in plenty of angles :wink:

1 hour ago, DugaldIC said:

Thanks! That rear wheel arch panel for the rear just fit too perfectly to not use, as for the roof it's the right size and shape according to Sariels scaler. If anything it's missing it's the roll off the edge like a real car has that's soo hard to recreate in Lego! Once it's all done you'll see for yourself in plenty of angles :wink:

O i see, yes it is because of roll off the edge.

I think what I really saw in your photo is the side window area above the doors looks too tall, and that is because the window actually doesn't go all the way up to roof because the roll off the edge.

Hahaha, sorry if my rambling above makes no sense  :grin:

7 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Well I test drove it and weighed it, it's currently 5.15 pounds and drives great, even in slow/med/fast modes on the buwizz! It's not the fastest but 4th gear is a typical drive speed on a direct driven car. 

Good to hear it drives well. Have you thought of making the body modular like the real car. Since I specialize in racing I will explain. When a gt3 car is damaged on the bodywork they bring the car in and replace only a small section, which was banned this year. This would make the body realistic.

9 hours ago, miobricks said:

I think what I really saw in your photo is the side window area above the doors looks too tall, and that is because the window actually doesn't go all the way up to roof because the roll off the edge. Hahaha, sorry if my rambling above makes no sense  :grin:

Haha surprisingly yes,  I think I managed to follow all that! The roof was unsecured back when I did that video and is now finalized in place, it's as close as I'll be able to get to the real car, any lower and it looks way off. 

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Good to hear it drives well. Have you thought of making the body modular like the real car. Since I specialize in racing I will explain. When a gt3 car is damaged on the bodywork they bring the car in and replace only a small section, which was banned this year. This would make the body realistic.

I've actually recently had to tear apart a GT3 911 at work to redo and I know what you mean!  Everything is held together via Zeus fasteners, basically every panel except for the roof pops off for easy repairs/panel replacement! I was considering doing this but once I got into the body work I quickly realized that if I wanted to keep it sturdy with nice clean body lines there's no way I was going to be able to make the body modular unfortunately :sceptic:! Also I forgot to mention the buwizz will have a removable cover on it when it's done, it's on my to do list. 

Edited by DugaldIC

ok, thought it wouldn't be possible to add modularity, do you work for porsche @DugaldIC, seems like it. 

4 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

I've actually recently had to tear apart a GT3 911 at work to redo and I know what you mean!  Everything is held together via Zeus fasteners, basically every panel except for the roof pops off for easy repairs/panel replacement! I was considering doing this but once I got into the body work I quickly realized that if I wanted to keep it sturdy with nice clean body lines there's no way I was going to be able to make the body modular unfortunately :sceptic:! Also I forgot to mention the buwizz will have a removable cover on it when it's done, it's on my to do list. 

sounds like it was trouble. was it a regular 3.8 or a rs 4.0? 

Edited by Aventador2004

55 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I am surprised that you are getting a single shock per axle to hold up all of that weight.

+1.  This is the part of the build that Dug knows better than most. I'm still in awe of how rigid and sturdy the frame is. 

9 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Looks awesome!  Will be interesting to see how the back develops.

Hopefully I'll have an update of the rear soon! 

6 hours ago, Meatman said:

I am surprised that you are getting a single shock per axle to hold up all of that weight.

That's the beauty of torsion bars, I know they're not "legal" but it's the only way to get the look of one shock holding up a car! 

6 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

ok, thought it wouldn't be possible to add modularity, do you work for porsche @DugaldIC, seems like it. 

sounds like it was trouble. was it a regular 3.8 or a rs 4.0? 

I don't work for Porsche, however I work on Porsches specifically doing all the metal work and fabrication! It was an older one, early 80s with a 3L motor. 

A few more updates, any panel connected by one pin all have a second support! The back end is starting take shape after completing some inner framework to support the rear. I've mounted the pneumatic valve and made an easy access battery cover! 

20170427_2304022017-04-27_11-13-1320170427_202211

Are you going to put a connection sticking out of the back? The gt3 cars have a hose connection on the bumper.

41 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Are you going to put a connection sticking out of the back? The gt3 cars have a hose connection on the bumper.

The pneumatoc connection is not always on the rear end. The Mercedes Amg gt has it on drivers right behind the door

Just now, technic_addict said:

I am loving it!  As you add panels, it just keeps getting better!

+1! It keeps getting better and better. 

2 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

The pneumatoc connection is not always on the rear end. The Mercedes Amg gt has it on drivers right behind the door

yeah, i meant for aston, it is at the top of b pillar.

2 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

+1! It keeps getting better and better. 

+1

@Aventador2004 @AkiyamaWataruevery car is different, even the Astons it changes location however on this build it will be in the rear bumper! 

13 hours ago, technic_addict said:

I am loving it!  As you add panels, it just keeps getting better!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Who know maybe you'll be having to stock up on more orange haha! 

@Lox Lego appreciate the feedback bro! 

2017-04-28_08-49-182017-04-28_08-49-06

20170428_23131320170428_23123320170428_231219

Making some progress to the rear, ignore the gap in the rear bumper as that needs to be filled in! 

Edited by DugaldIC

Wow, this is starting to look really awesome. And I'm convinced (!) the frame of this car has been very well designed too. You take more time than your brother, but you appear to arrive at (at least) the same level with one big step.

Edited by Didumos69

I've been silently following the progress from the beginning since it turned out to be an ASTON. Well built chassis with great functions then as the bodywork begun to take shape and I had to admit it was very ASTONISH. Now spectating the rear end I think there is one word to sum up this build: ASTONISHING :wink:

That looks awesome ! Amaizing car right there :D

Edited by IA creations
double awesome :))

18 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Making some progress to the rear, ignore the gap in the rear bumper as that needs to be filled in! 

That rear end looks sick can't wait to see the front done

Edited by Milan
Please don't quote whole block of text and images.

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Wow, this is starting to look really awesome. And I'm convinced (!) the frame of this car has been very well designed too. You take more time than your brother, but you appear to arrive at (at least) the same level with one big step.

The reason Dugald is at this level is because he has been helping me one up my builds from the very beginning!! All of my cars and future car would not look half as goood as they do without Dugald's mad understanding of shaping, space and design!