Hi! :classic:

Two years ago, I did a motorizable cherry picker for a contest on the french forum TechLUG.

Spoiler

869498P10406331.jpg

So, I used the comments I had, and I decided to :
   - Use a more little scale
   - Better proportions
   - I did a better cab. In the first MOC, it was too heavy because of the battery box inside it.
   - The first cherry picker was motorizable by a M motor ; this one is only motorized, more simple and efficient.

To summararise :

• Better proportions (I hope ^^)
  • Only motorized
  • I use inverted gearboxes for :

- Outriggers
              - Arm
              - Turn table

• And the manual functions :

- The steering (of course)
              - Extension of the arm

So, here's the result:

6739031Camionnacelle.jpg
5081652Camionnacelle.jpg
3923293Camionnacelle.jpg
5078884Camionnacelle.jpg
3607525Camionnacelle.jpg

The simplest function is the steering.
But there is the L motor over it. So, I used three 16t gears to turn the wheels directly by their axle of rotation.
7196626Camionnacelle.jpg
1158567Camionnacelle.jpg

And now, the gearbox.
8815528Camionnacelle.jpg

715563CamionnacelleLDD.png
It's an inverted gearbox : the "out gears" turn in the opposite sense. So, when you invert the position of the driving ring, you invert the rotation of a function.

Here are screenshots:
410167CamionnacelleLDD3.png
450329CamionnacelleLDD4.png
402254CamionnacelleLDD2.png
369327CamionnacelleLDD5.png

The outriggers can up the truck: the wheels don't touch the floor.
6795309Camionnacelle.jpg
62255110Camionnacelle.jpg
11388211Camionnacelle.jpg
89871112Camionnacelle.jpg
34075913Camionnacelle.jpg

To finish, the arm. It has a triple deformable quadrilateral. I needed so much time to do it, but it's nice to see in action. :wink:

61707614Camionnacelle.jpg
37669315Camionnacelle.jpg

And the video :

Edited by Anto

Wow , amazing tightly packed MOC!
The arm mechanism is very satisfying to watch , I can image the amount of time spend on it's development:thumbup:

I liked it very much. You achieved a high quality build in a small sized model. 

The cab is beautiful and looks realistic!

This, to me, is what technic is about; clean, compact and yet fully functional. Well done. The arm mechanism is also well executed.

Excellent! Compact, yet a lot of functionality, and look great! My soon 6 year old son saw your video, he was really amazed, and said he want to build it too!

Edited by kolbjha

Did you consider to motorize extension of the arm? It is the only thing I can think of making it perfect. BTW, any plans for BI? I would love to build this creation of yours (and so would my son)!

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Amazing! Looks like an official LEGO set! is it possible to make it remote control?

+1

I really like it  from the start, but I like it even more the more I look at it :wub:, especially the arm lifting mechanism. IMHO this could have been an official LEGO model - and I would have been one of the buyers for sure!

The playability is great even without remote control, I think it's not easy to make it RC. One way could perhaps be using BuWizz (due to the size and the fact that it can replace the BB and 2 PF receivers). There are 6 obvious functions IMO: drive, steering, outriggers, slewing, arm lifting, and arm extension. Imagine making something similar to 8043, with 4 motors, 1 of them for switching "mode":

Mode 1: Drive, steering, outriggers.

Mode 2: Slewing, arm lifting, arm extension.

That would be truly fantastic!

Edited by kolbjha

Very nice indeed. It's got the looks and the functions. 

I'm not sure about how much it lifts of the ground with the outriggers, but that's a minor personal issue. On the whole it's an awesome build! 

Plus 1 for an LDD file!  :wink:

Wow, nice model! I really like the modest size, and the colors work really well. Great job getting all those functions in. I like your solution for the gearbox, smart way of separating the direction and the functions.

How strong is the part of the boom with the large panels? How is that connected at the top, to prevent bending?

Thanks for the comments! :wink:

There will be building instructions. I just need some time to make a LDD file...

18 hours ago, kolbjha said:

Did you consider to motorize extension of the arm?

At start, a little, just if there would have been enough space. But during the construction, I saw that there is just enough space for the other functions. So, it's not possible with this scale (and the arm, quite complex).

To make it RC, it's necessary to built an other version, totally different, so it's not really possible. :sadnew:

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

How strong is the part of the boom with the large panels? How is that connected at the top, to prevent bending?

Is is enough strong to support the extension. The extension is light, so the first part doesn't support a great constraint.

The panels are fixed in the down with beams; nothing for the up, the down is sufficient (and more difficult to add reinforcments).

Hi!

I put my MOC on LEGO Ideas, because I think it's my more similar one to the LEGO sets. I don't think it will become a LEGO set, but I wanted to see what could happened. :)

So you can support my project here.

Do you know why there are only 59 days left ? I found :)

Edited by Anto