[TC11] CAT A      The Mammoth

Hello! I'm back with an entry for this contest. I have created something that should like a sort of mammoth. I have still some problems to solve (more on that later) but it is almost finished.

Here are some pics:

800x532.jpg

800x532.jpg

The bot contains 1 sbrick, drives with two xl motors, and there are two functions:
- The spear, wich is pulled back with help of a string, and a rubber band that keeps the spear on tension. I will show you some close-ups in the final video.

- The tusks. These maybe look flimsy (actually they are), but the flexibility comes in very handy, because it closes around a opponent perfectly. Here is a pic of the inside:

800x532.jpg

The gears under the actuator are part of the spear system. When the spear is full back, it pushes against a lever, that set the gearbox in release, and the spear can fire perfectly. When the spear is full in front, the gearbox is in pulling mode. I have made this so I can use one motor for the function. 

Here is another picture of the belly:

800x532.jpg

Now I still have one problem. The model doesn't turn quit well. Now the model is around 1.8 kilos, it isn't easy to turn, but without the black covers it works just fine for my needs. When the covers are on, the model doesn't turn (the wheels aren't touching the covers). I'm still looking for a solution, but maybe someone does know what I have done wrong. This is it for now, I you have any questions let my know.

Edited by luukietechnic

I like it, although it looks like a love child of a crab and a mammoth (Cramoth?). :classic:

For the turning problem, my best guess is, that the wheels and connections beeing made of LEGO, there is still some flex while moving, so they DO touch the black armour. Try to remove the closest beams, and test.

For the turning problem, beside what agrof said, it might be that bot is heavy, and it have so much rubber so it is having hard time skid-steering.

Try to remove 4 outside tires so it has a total of 4 tires, or better yet...remove all tires and leave just the rims. That way it should skid steer pretty well.

But, if it works really good without the skirts, then it is grinding them with tires.

3 hours ago, agrof said:

I like it, although it looks like a love child of a crab and a mammoth (Cramoth?). :classic:

For the turning problem, my best guess is, that the wheels and connections beeing made of LEGO, there is still some flex while moving, so they DO touch the black armour. Try to remove the closest beams, and test.

Thanks! Indeed it looks like a crab too. And when you are pulling the tusks in the air it is also looking like a bunny.

3 hours ago, Milan said:

For the turning problem, beside what agrof said, it might be that bot is heavy, and it have so much rubber so it is having hard time skid-steering.

Try to remove 4 outside tires so it has a total of 4 tires, or better yet...remove all tires and leave just the rims. That way it should skid steer pretty well.

But, if it works really good without the skirts, then it is grinding them with tires.

I will try these solutions when I have time to work on it. 

10 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I can't see the pictures. Help anyone?

A friend of mine had the same problem. I don't know why you can't see them. Maybe you should try another browser.

I can't see the pics. Could you please reupload them.

Sounds good

I am thankful to be in the ir cat :grin:

Like some other ones, I also cannot see the pictures :sceptic:. Can anyone, who sees the pictures, tell in which browser the are?

Strange, at workplace I see the pics (even now), at home PC I don't. Both with Chrome.

19 hours ago, luukietechnic said:

Thanks! Indeed it looks like a crab too. And when you are pulling the tusks in the air it is also looking like a bunny.

That had to be a hard party that night! :grin:

13 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I can't see the pics. Could you please reupload them.

Sounds good

I am thankful to be in the ir cat :grin:

12 hours ago, aminnich said:

I cant see the pictures

50 minutes ago, Paul Klop said:

Like some other ones, I also cannot see the pictures :sceptic:. Can anyone, who sees the pictures, tell in which browser the are?

I made some changes to the photos. I hope you can see them now.

Just now, luukietechnic said:

I made some changes to the photos. I hope you can see them now.

Yes! I can see them :classic: This thing is very amazing! 

Hello everybody!

I'm finally back after a busy period of building and filming. You always need more time for the final touches then you thought you would need. But here he is: The final version of The Mammoth!

I have solved the problems with turning, although it is not as maneuverable as I would like it to have. For the video I used a more workshop background, because I thought that it would suit in the theme of battlebots.

Here are some photos:

800x532.jpg

800x532.jpg

800x532.jpg 

800x532.jpg

Now I have some more time to look around and see what you have made! Let me know what you think!

Edited by luukietechnic

Very creepy look :thumbup:, and the spear is powerful. I am only missing the measurement picture with reference 45 L tool, don't forget to add! :wink:

On 16-4-2017 at 7:11 AM, agrof said:

Very creepy look :thumbup:, and the spear is powerful. I am only missing the measurement picture with reference 45 L tool, don't forget to add! :wink:

Thanks! I almost forgot that:blush:! I think this will be enough. Thanks for letting me know!

800x532.jpg