Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Styrvoky

Gear meshing/structural integrity question.

I was wondering if someone could test this in real life, to see if there are any meshing issues/structural problems.This is the flywheel part of a completed Chrysler A57 Multibank 30 cylinder engine.

LDD file http://www.bricksafe.com/files/Tommy_styrvoky/A57 Chrysler Multibank flywheel .lxf

The real engine is arranged in 5 L banks of 6 cylinders.

2352971471_3342e6b255.jpg

A57.png

A57%20view%202.png

Interesting, if I had those pieces I'd definitely try it out. It all depends on how much load is going to be on it and how much other bracing you'll use. I can see the top section folding down and creating gear triangles, which wouldn't be desirable at all :wink:

23 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

Interesting, if I had those pieces I'd definitely try it out. It all depends on how much load is going to be on it and how much other bracing you'll use. I can see the top section folding down and creating gear triangles, which wouldn't be desirable at all :wink:

I won't be transferring power through the gears( it's just purely decorative), though I think it would work just fine, though the number of applications for this are rather useful. The biggest issue was centering the middle gear, so it makes contact with all of the teeth on the other gears.

17 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

I won't be transferring power through the gears( it's just purely decorative), though I think it would work just fine, though the number of applications for this are rather useful. The biggest issue was centering the middle gear, so it makes contact with all of the teeth on the other gears.

If it's purely decorative, that should be fine then :classic:

I would enjoy testing this, but I do not have enough of the 1x2 plates with hole. It looks amazing though! You might need more reinforcing on the axe because it is just attached to the plate with hole. Maybe another plate behind it?

I would probably put a tire on the hub in the center so stabilize the parts more if you were not already doing that.

2 hours ago, JJ2 said:

I would probably put a tire on the hub in the center so stabilize the parts more if you were not already doing that.

Bingo.  The center wheel hub that's between the pieces should either have a tire on it or be replaced by a part that makes contact with the plate-with-pinhole parts on the inside of the pentagon. 

This will prevent the plate-with-pinhole parts from rotating, as well as deformation of the pentagon shape.

Very nice design, by the way.