en_zoo

Carpenter's house in Laelariel [missed deadline for Cat. B]

33749932846_856de30e01_c.jpg

'We've been deprived of everything; only few houses are still standing. We tried our best to contribute to the war against Raavage, but.. '   - A villager in Laelariel

I'm sorry guys, life got in between and I missed the deadline. When realising I wouldn't make it, I decided to also go over the size restriction, so this cannot be an entry at all. However, I'm pretty satisfied with the result, so I'm posting it anyways. Sorry, I have only this one pic due to the same time constraints.

It's my first attempt at a half-timbered Tudor style house, for which I'd like UoP credits - will definitely build more of this, so if you reckon this one isn't quite enough for the Credits, no worries and just say ^ The Tudor is, after all, a bit irregular, as you can see [there was a reason for this but I've quite forgotten by now..].

Special thanks must go to @TitusV for the much inspiration provided recently [I was honest, see? :wink:] as well as @ZCerberus for the same inspiration, in particular thanks to his Beggar's Inn.

Other random facts:

The roof - I'd never expected to like the classic sloped roofing so much; it might be disappointing for some, but I reckon I'll stick with it for a while :tongue: One part I didn't manage well is the rake, as it doesn't completely cover the black of the roof-slopes.

The colours - needless to say, blue and its shades are the new addition to my palette, I really like them [yes, random dark turquoise just to see how it looks :blush:]. I'm also looking for a smoother transition between rb and normal green - sand green helps, but I'm open to suggestions [I don't reckon dark brown would do..].

Overall, some classic techniques that I've finally tried out.

C&C most welcome as usual - thanks for looking! ^^

Edited by en_zoo

This is a lovely build, and would definitely qualify for a few UoP credits. Look, make your claims, post here and the main UoP thread, and we'll see about getting them approved.

It is an honor to inspire someone, especially ih pumps out such an amazing build! I really love the half-timbered tudor section man :wub: 

The catapult is very nice, as is the landscaping (though I think a tree at the right would have added a bit more depth) :thumbup: 

Overall, great job man. Keep it up!

I really like this.  The landscaping is great and the house is fantastic.  I really like your choice of colors.  great job.

Very nice, En_zoo! It is good to see you trying new things. Your irregular base is quite lovely, with its curved edges, and the vegetation is great, too. It seems a bit large for a 32x32 category, though... I like the house, too, especially the blue. Well done!

My one hesitation is that the purple looks a bit out of place with the blue house and flowers. Maybe green vines would have made it look a bit better. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

That house is fantastic, the blue works so well and you nailed the classic feel :thumbup: As for the landscape, the colours work perfectly, although a bit more of the blue could have helped. But other than that great job :classic:

Edited by The Maestro

Excellent job with that house, the Tudor work is superb, and I really like the hooks on the ends of the roof too! :wink:  Very nice landscape and path as well, although I do think that another color would likely have been a good idea for under the siege weapon.  I know what you mean about having to decide between or miss deadlines!  Keep it up (building, not missing deadlines, of course :grin:)! :thumbup:

On 02/04/2017 at 2:27 PM, gedren_y said:

This is a lovely build, and would definitely qualify for a few UoP credits. Look, make your claims, post here and the main UoP thread, and we'll see about getting them approved.

Thanks Gedren, I'm glad you like it! ^^ As for the UoP credits, I've done what you said and don't worry if it takes time - at the moment I'm using the list of 'exams' as a guideline to try my hands on new things, which will be useful in any case :sweet:

On 02/04/2017 at 6:01 PM, TitusV said:

It is an honor to inspire someone, especially ih pumps out such an amazing build! I really love the half-timbered tudor section man :wub: 

The catapult is very nice, as is the landscaping (though I think a tree at the right would have added a bit more depth) :thumbup: 

Overall, great job man. Keep it up!

Given that you pushed me, it's very good to know that I haven't disappointed with that Tudor! :wink: [I've found out it isn't as easy as it looks.. well, for the first attempt at least :blush:]

On 02/04/2017 at 8:16 PM, zoth33 said:

I really like this.  The landscaping is great and the house is fantastic.  I really like your choice of colors.  great job.

Thanks Zoth, good to hear about the colours choice ^^

On 03/04/2017 at 4:56 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very nice, En_zoo! It is good to see you trying new things. Your irregular base is quite lovely, with its curved edges, and the vegetation is great, too. It seems a bit large for a 32x32 category, though... I like the house, too, especially the blue. Well done!

My one hesitation is that the purple looks a bit out of place with the blue house and flowers. Maybe green vines would have made it look a bit better. 

Thank you, HQ. Yes, as I've written above, when realising that I wouldn't make it for the challenge, I've decided to make it a bit bigger. Good point about the purple, I was undecided between that and lavender, but now that you say it, I should probably have stuck with green [though I do tend/like to add random colours :blush:].

On 03/04/2017 at 9:18 PM, The Maestro said:

That house is fantastic, the blue works so well and you nailed the classic feel :thumbup: As for the landscape, the colours work perfectly, although a bit more of the blue could have helped. But other than that great job :classic:

Thanks, Maestro. I'll keep in mind about going all the way with the colour of choice - good suggestion!

On 05/04/2017 at 0:14 AM, Garmadon said:

Excellent job with that house, the Tudor work is superb, and I really like the hooks on the ends of the roof too! :wink:  Very nice landscape and path as well, although I do think that another color would likely have been a good idea for under the siege weapon.  I know what you mean about having to decide between or miss deadlines!  Keep it up (building, not missing deadlines, of course :grin:)! :thumbup:

Thanks Garm! Good point about a different colour for under the catapult. Though green wouldn't make much sense. Maybe medium flesh to show people have been walking/putting weight on that part of the ground?

2 hours ago, en_zoo said:

Given that you pushed me, it's very good to know that I haven't disappointed with that Tudor! :wink: [I've found out it isn't as easy as it looks.. well, for the first attempt at least :blush:]

It indeed isn't that easy, I struggle with it every time :wink: but you did a great job man!

Such a lovely little building :wub: I would say your Tudor experiment was a complete success, and the roof looks quite nice too. Standard slopes have their place when used properly :thumbup:

On 17/04/2017 at 1:09 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Such a lovely little building :wub: I would say your Tudor experiment was a complete success, and the roof looks quite nice too. Standard slopes have their place when used properly :thumbup:

Thank you, SK - glad to know about the Tudor ^^

This is a very pretty build..I like that you used brown for the path instead of the go to dark tan that we see alot (not that there is anything wrong with dark tan, i just know dirt is a multitude of colors.)

On 28/04/2017 at 9:09 PM, Blufiji said:

This is a very pretty build..I like that you used brown for the path instead of the go to dark tan that we see alot (not that there is anything wrong with dark tan, i just know dirt is a multitude of colors.)

Thanks Blufiji, I've almost missed this post of yours! Glad you like the pathe that way as I like too and I o intend to try and stick with it for a while ^^

Excellent!  As a fan of the sloped roof pieces, this really appeals to me.  However, I am also very impressed with the landscaping, which I struggle with.  It looks natural, with parts that have been intentionally manicured.  I love the use of the blue on the house, and the general architecture on the house.  Awesome!

On 10/05/2017 at 5:56 AM, Grover said:

Excellent!  As a fan of the sloped roof pieces, this really appeals to me.  However, I am also very impressed with the landscaping, which I struggle with.  It looks natural, with parts that have been intentionally manicured.  I love the use of the blue on the house, and the general architecture on the house.  Awesome!

Thanks Grover! I've been working on landscaping, so good to hear that the training pays off ^^ As for the house, it was instead my first attempt - glad to hear that you like it! :sweet: