Sign in to follow this  
doug72

[MOC] Bucket Chain Excavator (DONE)

12 hours ago, Gabi_BC said:

This looks great! Congrats!

Gabi, Thanks

Here's a short video showing how the balls are unloaded, just needs a bit more fine tuning to stop balls escaping.

Edited by Doug72

MOC completed. Time to allow the dining table to revert to its proper use.

It has been a protracted build with many problems along the way which were eventually resolved by trial & error but finally got it to function as I  had envisaged.
Operators cab, ladders, guard rails & mini figures now added.

If I were to build this again:-
I would modify the under carriage keeping the track units and XL motor drives but build in a large battery box plus a double layer of BWE gear quadrants to give better clearance for slewing drive gear and provide a stronger base. If I have enough parts left over I will probably try this.

I would build the rotating upper structure to be stronger and less susceptible to bending under flexing when bucket ladders is in operating position and get a better balance.

I am happy with the ball unloading system via top discharge and is working well.

Only thing left to do is arrange a ball loading hopper so each bucket can scoop up two balls at a time as it rotates around the chain return sprocket.

34082125224_a2578c7228_c.jpg

Final step is to put up a strong shelf in my study to display it.

Edited by Doug72

It looks really good and resembles the original machine pretty well!

Nice to see you nailing this, Doug. Congrats! :sweet:

If only you could place it side by side with the BWE... :grin:

33 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

It looks really good and resembles the original machine pretty well!

Nice to see you nailing this, Doug. Congrats! :sweet:

If only you could place it side by side with the BWE... :grin:

Thanks for your comments and support during this build.

My first BWE became a BWT. Don't think another way will come my way.

Only comparison is by using th Lego Box graphics.

34115769293_3d74f6d4d0_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

I like this a lot.

i have missed this topic somehow so will now read the 5 pages with my next cup of tea! 

52 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

Looks good Doug, now you need another project :wink:

Thnaks for the comment, at the moment I need to tidy up after the build and get all my spare parts back into correct boxes etc.

The MOC evolved and although it functions OK there is room for improvements.

Have idendified a few weak areas in the build and have already starting to improve the base stucture and drive for the caterpillar tracks.
It will use a double layer of gear quadrants to give an improved surface for the rotating structure support wheels to roll along, provide a more rigid base and stop the slewing gear fouling on the battery box.

Next project, ?
Open to ideas and I search on YouTube for unusual machines as possible MOCs.

Have eight BWE buckets spare looking for something to do !

Edited by Doug72

5 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Next project, ?
Open to ideas and I search on YouTube for unusual machines as possible MOCs.

How about a pile drill or soil nailer? (A soil nailer is a machine that drills a pipe into the ground, raises up again, connects another one and drills down further, then pumps concrete through the pipe to form a solid 'nail' to hold embankments together.)

Both come in various sizes and shapes, and could make for the next unusual project.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

How about a pile drill or soil nailer? (A soil nailer is a machine that drills a pipe into the ground, raises up again, connects another one and drills down further, then pumps concrete through the pipe to form a solid 'nail' to hold embankments together.)

Both come in various sizes and shapes, and could make for the next unusual project.

Thanks, yes a pile driver had crossed my mind.

I have an 4mm scale  model somewhere of an Hitachi KH180  drop hammer pile driver and have enough parts to build a Lego version.
Found it but  rubber tracks have perished on my model !

It has an interesting drop hammer auto release mechanism.

Images of 4mm scale model.
34162496473_2e4db1b524_b.jpg

34162495673_e0581bb52d_b.jpg

Edited by Doug72
Added images

I see that your masterpiece is done,  so you can play with number of orange balls. Really good job Doug :thumbup:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I see that your masterpiece is done,  so you can play with number of orange balls. Really good job Doug :thumbup:

Many thanks for your comment, it has been an epic build and my largest yet.
Leant a lot of new technics & solutions during the build without resorting to non lego parts except the hoist rope cord which is used for hanging picture frames, it's really strong.
Still room for improvement and have already installed two layers of gear quadrants eliminating fouling of the slewing gear on the battery box.

Balls are loaded by hand at the moment but working on a way for buckets to pick them up, think it will be the hardest problem to resolve.

Just now, Doug72 said:

Many thanks for your comment, it has been an epic build and my largest yet.
Leant a lot of new technics & solutions during the build without resorting to non lego parts except the hoist rope cord which is used for hanging picture frames, it's really strong.
Still room for improvement and have already installed two layers of gear quadrants eliminating fouling of the slewing gear on the battery box.

Balls are loaded by hand at the moment but working on a way for buckets to pick them up, think it will be the hardest problem to resolve.

As former software developer I can only say when you stop improving your models then project is dead. It was pleasure following development of such huge project. 

Ball loading problem is probably next challenge :wink:

I can only repeat myself - very nice :thumbup:

On 05/04/2017 at 11:15 AM, Doug72 said:

33009318404_d3b6c28b0f_z.jpg

Does anyone know the maker of this machine ?
Possible contender for my next MOC using the old large Lego chain links for the bucket chain
I can't find it anymore on google search.

47 minutes ago, ScaleCarModels said:

Impressive model nice build!

Thanks, I still working on it to improve the turntable, slewing and weight distribution.