Captain Braunsfeld

Book II, Challenge V, Category C: How I Met Our King

"So", said Captain Mitgardia, "let's hear your story."

Samuel Marron put down his glass of beer and slowly began to tell his tale - how he met the new King.

33387012210_b1b40f6f28_c.jpg

It was in the dark days before our victory over the Spire. I had orders to deliver a letter to the Desert King.

One night I was ambushed...

Skeleton warriors had killed my horse and as I was preparing to fight I had almost overlooked the second attacker.

33387007370_bb86c1d22e_c.jpg

Moving towards Kaliphlin I arrived at a Cuboid Castle.

33731146566_7f2d87d88b_z.jpg

... and so our plan began to take shape.

32928888264_7d073fb2f9_c.jpg

I was sent to meet the Desert King...

33387006530_16f1e5836d_z.jpg

... who was supervising the construction of our key weapon, designed by Abdul Trojan: a giant wooden camel with space inside for a small army:

33387005560_968fb2863a_z.jpg

"And that is where you met the New King?" Captain Mitgardia interrupted.

"No, that was later. After the battle."

"The Battle of Two-Finger-Mountain?"

"Yes mate."

33615036572_7bbd08902b_c.jpg

The battle was intense and terrible.

33615034812_9a34186fa2_c.jpg

We were facing the Spire's elite troops and things did not look good.

Although we were fighting as one - the finest warriors of Historica united - we were outnumbered and about to lose.

33387024950_db2d92fde3_z.jpg

33615028992_e90ccc6d00_c.jpg

33615022832_39bfe2502f_z.jpg

33730841616_71180b48f9_z.jpg

So we had to retreat.

Raavage himself, surrounded by his elite warriors approached our wooden camel and claimed the victory for himself.

With the guild's forces dispelled he gave a speech to his victorious troops about how cowardly we were and that he was about to ruin our plan.

Because he thought that he knew everything about Trojan's camel. He expected it to be filled with skilled warriors that were destined to kill Raavage.

So his best warriors closed in on the camel.

33615021232_4fa7c7ee59_c.jpg

But there was one thing Raavage was not able to. He could not pay attention to details.

Well, it is usually difficult in the heat of battle to point out fine details like "Oh, look, that Orc has got a nice helmet" -"The one with the bronze applications?" - "Yes, quite nice, isn't it".

That usually does not happen.

And Raavage had missed a detail.

33730839526_bed7a4ef09_z.jpg

.. a burning fuse hanging from the camel's mouth.

33615018002_e0861d9a60_c.jpg

33642398061_f38d9424b7_c.jpg

The explosion of the Barqan Fire exterminated Raavage and the core of his army.

I watched the explosion from a safe distance - it was catastrophic for the Spire. Our plan and the faked fallback had worked well.

Our troops engaged again and we pursued the remainders of Raavage's army until there was no-one left alive.

33642397651_3f20349cb0_z.jpg

It was then, after our victory, when I met the New King.

33387011240_99ce52728a_z.jpg

He came towards me, accompanied by his guards...

32928555304_c39c1b9857_z.jpg

... and I bowed and bent my knee. And he thanked me. I felt so honoured.

33387008580_76cbc40e12_z.jpg

"A toast to the New King", Captain Mitgardia shouted!

32958605943_b57b646ac3_z.jpg

"All hail to King Emmet I." both cried, raising their glasses.

But there was something, Samuel Marron had not been able to tell his friend.

It was about the private conversation he had had with the King after the battle.

33771658405_352bc7966c.jpg

"Samuel", the King said, "you have proven your loyalty to me. And your courage. I will tell you a secret. You will not forget it but find yourself unable to talk about it.

I am a chosen one. I am in the possession of powers that allow me to excite loyalty in others so they will follow me.

I cannot make them stronger or braver, but they will follow me. Like you do.

When I started on this journey I went to the Desert King, asking for an audience. I made him one of my first followers.

With his army on my side it was easier to put up a plan against Raavage and his troops.

You have helped me to get the support of Mitgardia and Avalonia. I am very thankful for that and this is why I am telling you my secret. Now you will keep it to yourself."

33387011240_99ce52728a.jpg

Samuel drank a sip from his beer and mused.

What will the future be like, now that Historica is united under King Emmet I?

Will he be a kind ruler given that his subjects will be of utter loyalty to him?

Will he have enemies?

Was Raavage really killed in the explosion?

Spoiler

King Emmet I. and his friend / advisor?

33731035266_30817ee97d_z.jpg

So, this is my "big entry" for Category C with lots of scenes, pictures, action, etc.

It took quite a while in preparation. I am happy that I was able to include the Cat A + B MOCs into the story.

I hope you like it!

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld

Interesting story. I like the micro scale, and forced perspective. That was clever.

And oddly I really like the CMF king with the black ruff and black morion. That is really striking to me for some reason.

And so it has started! Very nice entry, my favoured builds must the micro-explosion and Cuboid Castle. The story is fine with some funny notes :wink: Overall, great job Captain!

Great entry! I love the role the Barqan fire played in this! :classic:

My favorite builds in this series are otherwise the desert cliffs and the grayscale landscape. I also really like the use of the CMF king parts, I picked up a few when they were in stores to use as Swiss Guard inspired troops some day :wink: 

The only thing I'm not too fond of is the use of custom parts for the king, since that makes it hard to use him in the canon if this excellent entry would win. But the Aragorn fig from the Black Gate set would work ok I guess.

15 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Interesting story. I like the micro scale, and forced perspective. That was clever.

And oddly I really like the CMF king with the black ruff and black morion. That is really striking to me for some reason.

Thank you.

Actually the CMF king is meant to be wearing a uniform. You will spot other fighters like him on the left of the second battle picture.

I tried to convey the idea that Historica is united against Raavage and so I have used  Mitgardian, Kaliphlinian and Pseudo-Avalonian troops.

15 hours ago, TitusV said:

And so it has started! Very nice entry, my favoured builds must the micro-explosion and Cuboid Castle. The story is fine with some funny notes :wink: Overall, great job Captain!

Yes, it has started.  Otherwise I will not make the deadline as I need to do the next BoBS challenge...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Gideon said:

Great entry! I love the role the Barqan fire played in this! :classic:

My favorite builds in this series are otherwise the desert cliffs and the grayscale landscape. I also really like the use of the CMF king parts, I picked up a few when they were in stores to use as Swiss Guard inspired troops some day :wink: 

The only thing I'm not too fond of is the use of custom parts for the king, since that makes it hard to use him in the canon if this excellent entry would win. But the Aragorn fig from the Black Gate set would work ok I guess.

Oh, the Bargan fire - I liked that a lot :grin:

About the custom parts - I hope they will be not too essential. Forget about that white tree stuff.

In the end, to continue you will need to have some medieval version of Emmet.

(But I must admit that in the process of finalizing the story I had also thought about using Aragorn (but he's a fleshie!)).

Neat story.  The builds are great.  I especially like the gatehouse and the battle scene.  Wonderful job on the exploding camel.  Your camera work is really good.  I like the way you photographed the bar scene.  Keep up the great work.

Great build! The story was pleasant, too. I especially liked your switch into microscale, which was very well done. The castle was also impressive, especially the minifig-leg arrow slits. I echo the concern about a custom fig torso for the king, but clearly he could wear anything, too. I'm just not sure Raavage could be defeated so easily. 

(edit: And I'm a Knight now, this was my 500th post!)

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

23 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Neat story.  The builds are great.  I especially like the gatehouse and the battle scene.  Wonderful job on the exploding camel.  Your camera work is really good.  I like the way you photographed the bar scene.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks, I had to take about 176 pictures to be able to tell the story...

3 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Great build! The story was pleasant, too. I especially liked your switch into microscale, which was very well done. The castle was also impressive, especially the minifig-leg arrow slits. I echo the concern about a custom fig torso for the king, but clearly he could wear anything, too. I'm just not sure Raavage could be defeated so easily. 

(edit: And I'm a Knight now, this was my 500th post!)

Congratulations to knighthood!

And right: We cannot be really sure that Raavage is dead. His body was not found after the explosion...

(And for the new king: You need Emmet's head and hair :grin:)

:laugh: :roflmao:  Hilarious story, Captain B, and excellent job portraying it! - loving that note about little details in the battle (I must admit, I hadn't noticed it myself! :grin:), and a very clever tactic to get rid of the bad guys!  Excellent job with the inn and Cuboid Castle, too, and great transition from the minifig scale to micro build! :thumbup:  I do feel sorry for that poor camel, though! :look: :grin:

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

:laugh: :roflmao:  Hilarious story, Captain B, and excellent job portraying it! - loving that note about little details in the battle (I must admit, I hadn't noticed it myself! :grin:), and a very clever tactic to get rid of the bad guys!  Excellent job with the inn and Cuboid Castle, too, and great transition from the minifig scale to micro build! :thumbup:  I do feel sorry for that poor camel, though! :look: :grin:

Thanks for your kind feedback. :sweet:

And the camel was just a wooden thing!

Awesome stuff here, Captain! Lovely transition between normal and micro scale, but especially I've enjoyed that one force perspective - it really bring a nice variation. Good job with the story too, glad you included Gideon's Barqan Fire as well as your own previous builds from Cat. A&B :thumbup:

On 6.4.2017 at 11:20 AM, en_zoo said:

Awesome stuff here, Captain! Lovely transition between normal and micro scale, but especially I've enjoyed that one force perspective - it really bring a nice variation. Good job with the story too, glad you included Gideon's Barqan Fire as well as your own previous builds from Cat. A&B :thumbup:

Thanks. I hoped to make everything somewhat consistent - and that included the brilliant invention of the Barqan Fire.

The use of a micro 'trojan camel' scene is really clever, and you did really well recreating the diagonal supports in the micro :thumbup: 
Amusing story as always :laugh:

Couldnt hold my laughing, your story is amazing. The micro is indeed great. Did you know you were making a micro before you made the macro? just because it matches that well :)

On 17.4.2017 at 1:55 PM, soccerkid6 said:

The use of a micro 'trojan camel' scene is really clever, and you did really well recreating the diagonal supports in the micro :thumbup: 
Amusing story as always :laugh:

Thanks - as for the story I was trying to develop something entertaining, yet serious enough to allow the GoH storyline to continue from thereon.

(thereon?)

On 18.4.2017 at 1:22 AM, dathil said:

Couldnt hold my laughing, your story is amazing. The micro is indeed great. Did you know you were making a micro before you made the macro? just because it matches that well :)

Thanks - I did not plan to have a micro when I designed the macro camel.  And I am also happy how well it matches :sweet:

Wonderful entry, Captain! The story was quite humorous, as usual, and that micro explosion scene is fantastic! :wub: Excellent work on the minifig scale battle scene as well, the rock layering is superb :thumbup:

14 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Wonderful entry, Captain! The story was quite humorous, as usual, and that micro explosion scene is fantastic! :wub: Excellent work on the minifig scale battle scene as well, the rock layering is superb :thumbup:

:sweet: thank you, sir. Very kind comment.

14 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Great work Capt. B! And I like the blend of scales!

Good to get positive feedback from another GoH veteran :grin:

Thanks!