Kai NRG

(Ch V-C) Nightmare in the Streets

For Eslandola

It was just an average, ordinary day in this little Marderian seaside settlement.  The water lapped against the dock, citizens strolled hither and thither, sailors went about their business - which business, evidently, was nothing more than poking their nose into everyone else's business - housewives bustled around importantly, children laughed and ran - in short, the day was perfectly normal and unexciting.

And then IT came.

It came slowly, sneakily... barely making ripples in the water.  It's tentacles slithered up the stone pier so softly no one even knew it was there.

Suddenly a dead silence fell over the bustling docks.  You could have heard a pin drop as the monster slithered over the mossy stones... still silently... still slowly... but still relentlessly.

For a moment, time seemed to stand still.  For a moment, no one moved.  For a moment, no one could believe that this was more than a hideous dream.

The next moment... terror!

32922012544_bca704e6c6.jpg

32952090773_8d8d33484b.jpg

32921994784_8c31cc7afa.jpg

33380525800_c172e945a6.jpg

33380537700_15b72ae024.jpg

33380544410_6faffed897.jpg

33765265355_b71475004d.jpg

33636039471_346ee80fa8.jpg

33765281955_24a7a2c11a.jpg

32922084484_244c6249af.jpg

33636064511_1d7b385c38.jpg

32952190623_97758b7578.jpg

33380594120_0642d638cc.jpg

33608463442_4297a7ea9a.jpg

This town, at least, will not be sending aid to the war effort.

33765215165_ee1471241a.jpg

Well, this was a bit out of my comfort zone...  Not unhappy with the result however.  Tried out a new wall technique on that tallest house!  And of course the Kraaken was quite a first... but not too bad, all things considered!
Thanks for looking!

A very detailed and beautifully built entry. I like the the buildings, the dock, all these figs scattered around.

Great build! It's fun to see the kraken going against stuff on shore rather than a ship. So much mayhem detail in the build! Tentacles everywhere! And the water effect is very good! :thumbup:

Wow... that's an impressive one...

Were's some blur, a built effect that emphasize some move/speed of the action in this picture...

The thing attacking the port makes enough damage to be sure nobody has dreamed but stays sufficently "in the shadows" (the blur effect) to remain unidentified... empowering the fear.

Very good !!

Great entry! As per your style it's very colourful, which is always impressive, and the photography is spot on. I really like the action here, and I think I know what you mean about comfort zone... I really would have liked to enter this category for that very reason - I even started researching sea monsters to build before I ran out of time.

Anyway excellent entry, great job!

Wow ! An excellent entry ! :wub: 

Always colourful like your usual style but with variations and a great beast ! Being out of your comfort zone gave you the opportunity to create a very singular Kraken ! Great job on that !

Excellent work with all the little happenings and panic in the scene.    :classic:

:laugh: :grin:  An interesting cross between hilarious and terribleness in that Kraaken there, Kai!  The eye gives it a bit of the cartoonish feel, and you've definitely managed to capture the motion of its flying arms very well!  Very nice work with the rest of the build as well, especially the two houses on the left, the stone docks, and bread cart! :thumbup:

On 4/1/2017 at 1:41 AM, Bodi said:

A very detailed and beautifully built entry. I like the the buildings, the dock, all these figs scattered around.

Thank you Bodi!  The more detail, the merrier, say I! :pir-grin:

On 4/1/2017 at 1:49 AM, Capt Wolf said:

Great build! It's fun to see the kraken going against stuff on shore rather than a ship. So much mayhem detail in the build! Tentacles everywhere! And the water effect is very good! :thumbup:

Thanks Captain!  I think I'll have to give Garmadon credit for that idea actually - he was running out of time for a Cat C build himself so I figured rather than let the concept go to waste I'd swipe it up!  A little difficult to pull off, but worth it I think!

On 4/1/2017 at 5:56 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Wow... that's an impressive one...

Were's some blur, a built effect that emphasize some move/speed of the action in this picture...

The thing attacking the port makes enough damage to be sure nobody has dreamed but stays sufficently "in the shadows" (the blur effect) to remain unidentified... empowering the fear.

Very good !!

I tried to get the blur on the close up pictures but it's true that the overviews don't have that effect... hmm.  On the one hand I want people to see the build, but like you say, it can really help with the sense of action and motion!

Thanks!

On 4/1/2017 at 8:17 PM, Ayrlego said:

Great entry! As per your style it's very colourful, which is always impressive, and the photography is spot on. I really like the action here, and I think I know what you mean about comfort zone... I really would have liked to enter this category for that very reason - I even started researching sea monsters to build before I ran out of time.

Anyway excellent entry, great job!

Thanks Ayrlego!  I think I lean toward a colorful style partly because my collection is spread across a pretty wide spectrum of colors, so if I tried to do all darker tones I'd run out pretty quickly!

This was one of the categories that first caught my attention... initially I had wanted to do a different kind of sea monster, but given the dock idea it kind of needed to be something with tentacles or what have you.

On 4/2/2017 at 9:13 AM, Faladrin said:

Wow ! An excellent entry ! :wub: 

Always colourful like your usual style but with variations and a great beast ! Being out of your comfort zone gave you the opportunity to create a very singular Kraken ! Great job on that !

Thanks!

On 4/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, dr_spock said:

Excellent work with all the little happenings and panic in the scene.    :classic:

Thank you!  I love adding those! :pir-sweet:

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

:laugh: :grin:  An interesting cross between hilarious and terribleness in that Kraaken there, Kai!  The eye gives it a bit of the cartoonish feel, and you've definitely managed to capture the motion of its flying arms very well!  Very nice work with the rest of the build as well, especially the two houses on the left, the stone docks, and bread cart! :thumbup:

Thanks Garmadon! :pir-grin:  The shaping of the head was both harder and easier than I had anticipated... if that makes sense... at first I thought it would be really easy, but then as I went on having more and more trouble with other parts, I thought it would be super difficult!

Wowwwwww!! Please, Kai, never ever get back to your comfort zone - this build is just too fantastic :wub: I'm loving all about it - the buildings, the streets, the action... and of course the cartoonish blobby monster (:laugh:)... and the water effects - hmm... yeah :wub::wub:

Spectacular entry!

Is it an ooze? Is it a blob? No matter what, IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! People beware! Even in dry land one can never be safe nowadays! I really like all those horrified poses those poor minifigs take!

On 4/9/2017 at 8:06 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Wowwwwww!! Please, Kai, never ever get back to your comfort zone - this build is just too fantastic :wub: I'm loving all about it - the buildings, the streets, the action... and of course the cartoonish blobby monster (:laugh:)... and the water effects - hmm... yeah :wub::wub:

Spectacular entry!

:pir-grin:  Thanks KB!

19 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Having seen this on flickr I have almost forgotten to comment.

Great horrible scene! :laugh:

I love all those details!

:pir-laugh:  Thank you!

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Is it an ooze? Is it a blob? No matter what, IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! People beware! Even in dry land one can never be safe nowadays! I really like all those horrifying poses those poor minifigs take!

:pir_tong2:  Thanks blackdeathgr!  Minifigure poses are a big part of a terrifying scene like this!