prototyp

[MOC] Prototyp's City Scale six wides roundup

Thought I'd collect my growing series of six-wide builds into one place as my feed on Flickr is getting pretty dense.

I'd struggled to get the Speed Champions cars proportioned to my liking (I ended up with slightly outrageous 10-wide P1 prototypes), meanwhile my Flickr feed has a continuous drizzle of inspiring builds done around the slightly smaller City Scale fenders and tires. Somehow this scale just works.

While there are a good many builders on Flickr working at this scale and all their work inspires in some way, I would like to call out ER0LTom Netherton and Adrian Barbour aka BrickMonkey in particular as their approaches, shared designs and instructions went a long way to kick-starting this series of building for me. I've adopted the techniques they honed which has given me a great platform to come up with some of my own tricks. Also, there's sort of an easter-egg in all of them; rather than filling the inner spaces of the chassis with big bricks a la Speed Champions, I like to tuck in plate-built details like engines and chassis structures.

These are all up on Flickr > Prototyp with plenty of photos of each if you'd like to check them out more closely. Will update here with new builds from time to time.

Hakosuka and McLaren instructions are available at Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/users/prototyp/mocs/

1972 Datsun 510

A cooler version of my college car (if I weren't so broke the and had actually hopped up my Dime); fat MiniLites tucked into some flares, front and rear skirt work, and a twin-cam engine swap under the hood. 

Datsun 510 '72 (City Scale)

Datsun 510 '72 (City Scale)

Nissan Skyline KCG10 '72

Early work on the 510 ended up developing into the even cooler, lower, sleeker, meaner Skyline GTR "Hakosuka"

Nissan Skyline GTR '70~72Nissan Skyline GTR '70~72

Nissan Skyline GTR '70~72

McLaren P1

Unrelated in every way to TLG's Speed Champions P1; very long, very low, very curvy... Even the color is opposite. Particularly proud of the trick nose build and that TT wing plate as a rear diffuser (which, interestingly enough the new 720S Speed Champions model also uses)

McLaren P1 (City Scale)

McLaren P1 (City Scale)

McLaren P1 (City Scale)

Built up in some colorways.

37327972290_46a2d0e230_b.jpg

Ferrari 458 Italia

Distantly-related to BrickMonkey's 'chibi' style Ferrari 458 caricature. Like the McLaren, this one is also quite long and low. There's a plate-built V8 tucked in the mid-rear, too.

Ferrari 458 ItaliaFerrari 458 Italia

Ferrari 458 Italia

(will need to build this one in more colors, too)

Honda NSX Type R

Adapted from Tom Netherton's Acura NSX with a new nose, new tail, and a v6 under the rear glass.

Honda NSX Type RHonda NSX Type R '02

Ford Mustang GT350

Another Tom Netherton-based build. His work on the nose and side panels is fantastic stuff. I reworked chassis to move the whole roof/cockpit area back a stud in order to play up the long-hood coupe proportions. Under the hood is just enough space for a hint of plate-built V8 and the GT's strut-tower cross brace. The tail is extended and incorporates a custom exhaust and diffuser setup.

Ford Mustang GT350 (City Scale)

Porsche 935 '77

This MOC started out as a build of a 911 street car but got sidetracked by the desire to make something a little more outrageous (and to use the Speed Champions fender/tire combo). The turbofan wheel covers and front suspension camber are small design and technique triumphs. Some good bones here for a series of stickered replicas. And yes, there's a turbocharged, air-cooled flat 6 engine under the rear hood, too.

Porsche 935 '77 (City Scale)

Porsche 935 '77 (City Scale)

33648276941_0a6862122a_b.jpg

Edited by prototyp
added instructions link

Hi! I know nothing about cars, but the firs one (Datsun) is just brilliant, wish TLG would produce such a set! Did you consider posting on Leg ideas?  Thanks for sharing

very nice cars i dont have good detail in small scale

Spoiler

i envy you for your skill

Oh my.. that Skyline is just plain awesome! Would love to build one myself! The others are also pretty cool, especially the MCLaren.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind compliments. Hope sharing these has inspired some building.

Added a few more shots of the Mustang GT350 (from a new Flickr album) and a new MOC Porsche 935 for your perusal.

Edited by prototyp

I love all of them, especially the Mustang! However, the 458 screams more Corvette to me on the front than anything else (possibly because of the color scheme- I've been Pavlov's dogged by Speed Champions!). I think shortening it a bit and increasing the curves over the wheels might help it to look more life-like. For what it's worth, that car seems to be near-impossible to convert to a toy scale- I have a Hotwheels of it and it seems too tall! :grin:

On 12/20/2017 at 4:43 PM, GERBERKID12 said:

Those cars are awesome!  Just wondering what pieces your using for the fenders.  

Hey G, The fenders used on these are #50745: https://brickset.com/parts/design-50745

Do I work at Lego? No... I wish. :) Would be a pretty awesome gig, I think. (hey TLG, hire me)

Instructions... yea, I've had a few requests and it's something I'm looking into. Producing nice instructions for these little cars wouldn't be terribly difficult, but it's my big F40 LM and in-progress Eagle MkIII that have me looking into better tools than are available (LDD is ridiculously lame in terms of instructions production for example)

Edited by prototyp

Instructions are available for my original models at Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/users/prototyp/mocs/

The Hakosuka and McLaren P1 are there, as well as a bunch of bonkers “time attack” cars. Will add the link to the post.

I’ll work up instructions set for some 510 variations. Thanks for the bump!

Edited by prototyp