just2good

The LEGO Unikitty Show

So, shown off in a Cartoon Network sizzle reel, it seems like we're getting a Unikitty TV show:

I don't know how to feel about this. I mean, I liked Unikitty in The LEGO Movie, but... Well, I guess we'll wait and see how this turns out :laugh:

And man, I HOPE we get sets for this.

I didn't know Unikitty was THAT popular

and this is coming like +3 years after the TLM

Sets from this would kinda overlap with those pets sets, right?

Edited by Robert8

Business-Yay-princess-unikitty-36999361-

How exciting! Not sure how good it will actually be though, considering most shows on CN are garbage now and that flash animation is not very encouraging, but hopefully it will be entertaining. 

This is, beyond all doubt, the strangest news I've heard all day. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing! I'm just holding off any assumptions until I see more; specifically what brand of humor this show carries.

How utterly bizarre, a Lego character got their own show and dropped the Lego part of their existence... I mean, that's kind of crazy right? On the flip-side it sort of makes sense, her character isn't really dependent on being a Lego creation, you could spin her character off into a My Little Pony breed of show without ever mentioning the word Lego. Really, it's sort of brilliant, Lego is extending it's reach beyond bricks now using characters that started off as bricks. Soon they'll be taking over the world...

Edited by strangely

22 minutes ago, strangely said:

How utterly bizarre, a Lego character got their own show and dropped the Lego part of their existence... I mean, that's kind of crazy right? On the flip-side it sort of makes sense, her character isn't really dependent on being a Lego creation, you could spin her character off into a My Little Pony breed of show without ever mentioning the word Lego. Really, it's sort of brilliant, Lego is extending it's reach beyond bricks now using characters that started off as bricks. Soon they'll be taking over the world...

Just like Galidor did. Bricks to live-action TV... Oh wait, bad example? :laugh: 

Okay better example, Bionicle; none of the original films were strictly designed to look like the actual Lego pieces, so the characters were implied to exist in their own non-Lego world we the audience experienced via the Lego toy. Makes sense? 

2 hours ago, strangely said:

How utterly bizarre, a Lego character got their own show and dropped the Lego part of their existence... 

That's similar to LEGO Elves and Friends in that aspect

Wow I certainly did not expect this. What a delightful surprise we've got here. Let's hope it's a show that's worth seeing we don't want to tune in to the very first episode and then suddenly it's another Legends of Chima. So for now I guess we can wait until we have more information about it and what kind of show it'll be.

10 hours ago, strangely said:

I think it has to do more with laws actually because back in LEGO Islands day they had a BBC tv show planned that got cancelled due to laws in the UK about existing products getting tv shows. Heres a link discussing it (Theres other stuff there also so you may have to scroll down a little ways) http://videogameflashback.com/legoisland/#interview

I also suspect that it may be why Galidor wasn't LEGO and why more recent tv shows like Nexo Knights and Ninjago aren't fully LEGO.

11 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Just like Galidor did. Bricks to live-action TV... Oh wait, bad example? :laugh: 

Okay better example, Bionicle; none of the original films were strictly designed to look like the actual Lego pieces, so the characters were implied to exist in their own non-Lego world we the audience experienced via the Lego toy. Makes sense? 

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That's similar to LEGO Elves and Friends in that aspect

Those aren't really the same as UniKitty though. Those franchises were developed for TV and sets at the same time, both things exist as promotion of the other. In fact Galidor and Bionicle don't even resemble normal system Lego. And as far as I've seen the Friends cartoon does feature actual Lego bricks from time to time, so it's not totally removed from the Lego system. I'll give you that Elves drops the Lego aspect entirely, but that's by design, just like Galidor and Bionicle.

I'm saying UniKitty started out as just a Lego character, constructed of actual Lego bricks even. No special out of system parts, no pre-existing non-Lego tie-in show. She was just a Lego character designed to be a fun brick built character. So, it is kind of bizarre that they dropped the Lego part of her existence when that's what she was created in and for.

Well this was a shock to see today, I just don't fully know what to think yet. I will be interested in seeing how it turns out and hope it brings some sets to go with it for more unikitty variants and friends. Looks like I'm going to have to finish some of my own variants before this though.

Really looking forward to this!!! I'll only be interested though if Alison Brie reprises her roll, which I can't imagine they would green light this thing without it. 

A character getting story expansion that doesn't need it, and is hard to market.

If I'm getting small Unikitty sets, then I will completely ignore the potential failure this could be (and wallow in all the new Unikitties we absolutely must get).

On 3/29/2017 at 9:39 PM, juno2023 said:

Still need to catch up on the other Lego series too! What does everyone recommend?

Watch Ninjago before watching any other Lego shows! It's that good imo :grin:

eeeeeee! Yes! This looks awesome.

I've only ever seen Ninjago, which I think is well written. Hopefully this will be the same.

So they took out the Lego aspect of Unikitty?  Yeah, I can see why Brickset is convinced that this is April Fools related.  When people think your announcement is an April Fool's joke, and it is not, that does not bode well.