Murdoch17

1960s super race car (Mach 5) 8158 MOD with Speed Racer fig

This is the Mach 5, the fastest looking (and driving!) white-with-red paint scheme car ever devised. It is piloted by Speed Racer (son of Pops Racer, designer of the car) in the original Japanese anime, (Mach Go! Go! Go!) and all subsequent TV and film adaptations. The car seen here was inspired by set 8158, (Speed Racer & Snake Oiler) from the tie in to the Speed Racer film from 2008. Needless to say, the film did horribly and flopped about as hard as the crash of the Mach 6 in the film.

33571676762_65e4bf815c_z.jpg

Anyway, as my parents were fans of the original 1967 TV show, I bought the set way back in 2008 to make my own Mach 5 model. The many stickers killed any joy of putting it together, and thus ruined any chances of me touching the set for almost a decade, albeit digitally only for now.

33343468180_7ec387386a_z.jpg

The stickers have been eliminated in place of carefully placed red parts to make the hood "M". Doors have also been added, and rear trunk latch .... though the trunk doesn't open and does not fit any mini-figures or pet monkeys.

33599067661_3d169d704b_z.jpg

The dual exhaust / tail-lights are new, and so are the Speed Champions wheels in white.

33343468280_0ebf557fc0_z.jpg

The car seats two figures comfortably with even more arm room thanks to the opening doors. I couldn't think of a way to put the "5" decal on the side of the car though.

33599067751_96204271e9_z.jpg

The young and energetic driver of the Mach 5, Speed Racer. Both the hair and printed helmet are included in the LDD file, with the hair off to the side of the car.

Speaking of LEGO Digital Designer file, here it is: Speed Racer and Mach 5 file. This file is 100% build-able in real life, and will be made by me eveventually. When that happens, I'll update this thread with real life pictures.

Comments, Questions and Complaints are always welcome!