Sign in to follow this  
Legostone

[ESL - CH5B - for ESL] Admiral's End

As the Secretary of the Eslandolan Navy I have quite some control over our navy - and every now and then I also need to invest a bit into it. We're sending out our flagship, under the command of Admiral Brickwall Adurnos, out against the Marderian Scum blocking our island. Their basic defenses stand no chance against the firepower of a ship of the line! Off course we can also transport lots of troops to land them there.

Sadly, the landing didn't go quite as planned...
33341045450_9db9b16240_c.jpg

View from on top:
33341047840_b5fd6508a9_c.jpg

And the end of our dear Admiral Brickwall Adurnos:
33341053030_6d788e6ccf_c.jpg

(quick note: I'm quite short on time this month, so excuse the little time spent on taking pictures. If interest is there I can retake them in about a week)
(Also, if anyone is interested in a picture of all the guys here - click here)
(Lastly, this is well within the size limit at 16x96 = 1536 with 48x48 = 2304)

Neat entry! I love the cutaway ship, and the brick-built launches. :thumbup:

But the question of the day is, how many clear round 1x1 plates did you have to use for the cannonball's path?! :pir-oh:

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

But the question of the day is, how many clear round 1x1 plates did you have to use for the cannonball's path?! :pir-oh:

:P

I'm not counting them, but considering 5 are covering 2 studs in length and the path is around 80 studs long I would guess around 200. 

51 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Couldn't comment better than ΤΗΑΤ!!!

Aie, it hurts, poor admiral.*huh*

Great work on the beach defense and partially built two-decker. If i'm not mistaken, it's the first time the naval artillery enters directly in action to support a landing, very well thought.:thumbup:

Oh, looks like that Admiral was at the wrong place at the wrong time! :pir-grin:  The cutaway and cannon battery on shore are quite nice, and that's definitely a creative way of using the footprint! :wink:  And I know KB's never going to forgive me - but I really do like those little boats, packed with epic Eslandolans, best of all in this build! :grin:  Keep it up!

I would highly encourage you to try covering your blue water baseplates with either trans-clear, or a variety of trans-blues - I've been experimenting with it lately myself, and find that it can really make your water pop like few techniques do.  It does take heaps of time and pieces, though! 

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Couldn't comment better than ΤΗΑΤ!!!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Bodi said:

Aie, it hurts, poor admiral.*huh*

Great work on the beach defense and partially built two-decker. If i'm not mistaken, it's the first time the naval artillery enters directly in action to support a landing, very well thought.:thumbup:

Yeah, I thought it was still missing so I had to build it:P

6 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Oh, looks like that Admiral was at the wrong place at the wrong time! :pir-grin:  The cutaway and cannon battery on shore are quite nice, and that's definitely a creative way of using the footprint! :wink:  And I know KB's never going to forgive me - but I really do like those little boats, packed with epic Eslandolans, best of all in this build! :grin:  Keep it up!

I would highly encourage you to try covering your blue water baseplates with either trans-clear, or a variety of trans-blues - I've been experimenting with it lately myself, and find that it can really make your water pop like few techniques do.  It does take heaps of time and pieces, though! 

Well, those boats aren't my idea - they are based on designs from this thread and finished up with some inspirations from here and flickr. Not sure who brought in the hinged back first - might even have been KB.

I was prepared for doing that, but considering I have an examen tomorrow morning and will be out of town til Tuesday I couldn't see how I could manage it in time.

9 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

and how many tan and blue plates ?

spoilt rich brat ! :laugh:

The beach battery is superb...

Uhhmmm... Those aren't many plates:P

Pffh, I'm only the third richest person in BOBS, not counting my licensed stuff:D
Thanks! I guess I succeeded with the "cobbled together" look I wanted to achieve there.

That's one hell of a long peeeeeeeeew :laugh:

Nice entry - love the ship cross-section and that battery :thumbup:

Oh, and throughout all Eslandian entries, a lot of high-ranking personal seems to be named Brickwall... must be a very influential family with a long military tradition.

On 30.3.2017 at 2:24 AM, Garmadon said:

I really do like those little boats, packed with epic Eslandolans, best of all in this build! :grin:

Of course you would say that :tongue: 

A Really nice idea to support landing action with a SOTL artillery ! The partial two decker ship is really well done.

I am sharing your pain for the loss of the poor admiral (and on having stacked all those trans round plates :pir-oh:)

A great job ! 

Hmm, the overall composition of this build looks somewhat familar! :P

Nice fortifications on shore (although perhaps a little low?), great landing boats (do you have a detailed picture of those?), and good cut-out of the ship of the line (more details on that too?). I think I would have liked to see a bit more curvature on the hullsides, with the tumblehome not "just" being a flat, angled surface. At this scale, a few hinge bricks should make it possible to capture a more dynamic curve? As to landscaping, it is good. On closer inspection, though, I am not a big fan of the use of white, nor of the loose round 1x1s, but that may just be personal preference. Their location is fine, and depicts the rolling waves pretty well, though.

Would have been REALLY cool if the shot that killed the general had first passed through the sides fo the ship, throwing splinters left and right (although I don't knwo how one would do that :P)

Overall, nice entry! :)