Another smart brick is in the making. Jason Alleman is one of the persons behind this initiative. This time the emphasis is on sound and lights. More info on Kickstarter: PFx Brick

More info on: http://fxbricks.com/

Edited by WvG_853
Addition of website address

This project looks very promising, i think that it would definitely make many models more realistic, specially for display models, such as trains or model team, sound and lights are very useful features, and the adjustable acceleration option is really nice too.

For this use I think I would program a Arduino controller by myself. This would be much more compact and be able to use non Lego lights like standard LED of many sizes.

For a pure lego build it might be an option, but not one that gives me enough to buy it. After all it's not pure using this... But I did like the software they showcased.

-ED-

Great! The customizable speed steps so called "curves" (in the RC industry) what really makes me interested. Good luck Gentlemen! :wink:

Cool, thanks for sharing our project! Was meaning to post about it here at some point, but you beat me to it. :) If anyone has any questions/comments about it, don't hesitate to ask.

J

This product looks very professional and well designed. 

Although I am not the target market for Lighting and Sound Fx, I love that you have left IR compatibility to use existing Lego controllers.  If you had 4 ports instead of 2, I would be very interested in this product.

I am sure you will hit your goal.

Hell yeah, you're going to implement Bluetooth and not telling anyone in here? :laugh:

This looks very very very interesting. If only I had a credit card, I'd back it...

We've received so much feedback about omitting Bluetooth and we really misjudged how important it was to many builders.  Luckily we were working on it.  We reviewed the design and decided that we would commit to offering Bluetooth in addition to IR by default.  The value proposition of the PFx Brick is pretty attractive if you consider that a single device offers 2x powerful motor channels, 8x channel lighting controller, sound effects processor, and remote control via IR, USB, and Bluetooth.  In any case, all we can do is offer the PFx Brick to the market.  Whether or not builders want the PFx Brick remains to be seen.  We love the PFx Brick and really want it to succeed--but our passion for the project is not enough to decide the outcome.  Ultimately, its up to everyone else. 

Any feedback and/or questions welcome here or direct to the KS page comments feed.

Michael Gale (fxbricks.com)

Excited and will follow this.  Love adding lights to my models.  Solid user of lifelites and pf lights. I think adding lights also increases interest in Lego photography.

Don't care much for sound though.

We're approaching the last week of the campaign and still have a lot of ground to cover before the finish line.  We're still confident that we can get there since many folks have told us that they're going to back the PFx Brick or have only just heard about it.  Anything you can do to get the word out to help support our campaign will be hugely appreciated.  

Hundreds of backers have already shown their generous support for the PFx Brick and are excited and hopeful to be able to get one!  We really believe the PFx Brick can offer so much value in one small brick package!  It combines:

• advanced motor control
  • multi-channel lighting effects
  • sound effects processor
  • multiple interfaces:  USB, IR, and Bluetooth

all in a 5x4 stud brick!  We hope it will form the basis of broader range of compatible products such as:  

• A PFx Lite - low cost light effects only controller
  • A PFx Sonic - low cost sounds effects only controller
  • A PFx Pro - 4x channel motor controller + lighting + sound

and much more!

Please check out the Kickstarter campaign page at:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fxbricks/pfx-brick

and our website at: http://www.fxbricks.com

We are really hoping our fellow LEGO® fan community can help make the PFx Brick a reality for everyone!

Thank you, Michael Gale and Jason Allemann (Fx Bricks)

I want one! :excited: but I can't afford it! :cry2:

I really like that you can still use PF remotes to control it, and I hope it gets enough backers to have it made. 

This cool project went somewhat under the radar for me. I remember this topic when it was posted, but I haven't had any contact with Michael and Jason. In hindsight I feel a bit sad for not contacting them. Therefore, I haven't been able to test the unit.

I would love to add light and sound to my robot project, so I will definitely back it. Maybe we can get some extra support for these guys!

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

Maybe we can get some extra support for these guys!

Maybe have an article on the front page?

1 minute ago, WvG_853 said:

Maybe have an article on the front page?

Working on it!

Tomorrow there will be a live Q&A (AMA -> Ask me Anything) session with the guys from PFx Bricks.

For those of you still on the fence, don't hesitate to join.

This is the link to the live session.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter project itself.

I just pledged the XL Package. I can use the big speaker for my robot project. Really hope this project will fly.

This kind of brick (the basic one) would be ideal for all my tractor units: The two PF ports are for driving and steering while the 8 light ports can light up:

- Headlights (+reverse and ambient lights)

- Reverse lights

- Side indicators (2 ports necessary)

- High beams

- warning lights (2-3 ports necessary)

With 8 of these trucks currently built there is no reason not to back this project :)

I see that @Sariel is listed as tester of the PFx brick. If his review is in time and positive, it could bring the necessary publicity for this Kickstarter campaign.

Jason and I have received some great feedback from Sariel personally.  He certainly took the time to carefully evaluate its capabilities and made some astute observations.  Obviously, we would appreciate any public feedback and engagement from Sariel to the fan community.  However, we have not obliged him to do so and it is his decision to offer any endorsement.  

We hope that we can count on our fellow builder community to support our campaign so that we can offer the PFx Brick to builders everywhere!  

Wow!  That's awesome!  Thanks Sariel!  Like I said previously, his review and evaluation of the PFx Brick was thorough, careful, and very detailed.  He gave us amazing feedback which has been very helpful as we take the PFx Brick forward (hopefully to production!)  :)

5 hours ago, Sariel said:

Speak of the devil!

Thanks for this great review showing the potential of the PFx Brick! It looks to me like a must have for most truck MOC + I had not imagined so many possibilities with the LEDs. 

What a cool device. For me it was kind of a mixed bag though. The aspects listed below domrepresent my personal opinion. Yours might vary :)

On the plus side I have:

• + Possibilities almost endless
  • + Extensibility with future smalle Bricks
  • + All in one box
  • + Feature rich programmability
  • + Small lights to fit almost everywhere
  • + Compatibility with Lego IR Temotes
  • + Small yet powerful
  • + Customization stored on device rather controlled from an App
  • + Sound support
  • + No App required to control the Brick once it's configured
  • + 8 programmable light ports

That's what came to my mind for the negative aspects:

• I already invested a lot in SBricks
  • Price almost twice as an SBricks. 
  • Bluetooth support came in late, not clear what can be done with it
  • Not clear to me how many motors can be driven by one port
  • Sound support is nice but can be annoying if all the models are fitted with it ;-)
  • Maybe you focused on trains too much
  • Not sure if two power function ports are enough for my technical models

To make it clear I really like the idea and the possibilities and if you look to your direct competitors like BuWizz I would've preferred yours over theirs. I din't back Buwizz because I have my SBricks. So in the end it was it's price. I can add an additional SBrick to my model and have 4 "lightning" ports for controlling Lego original LEDs. The downside is that there are no small LEDs available that can be attached like for your Brick. An optional lightning device for the SBrick and I would be happy.

While your Kickstarter campain came to a negative end I still believe your project has a lot of potential. 

May I just say, Oh My Brick. This is so cool! I have hoped that lego themselves, would make a sound brick that you could put your own sound into. Thanks to the geniuses at PFx Bricks, you can!

Edited by legostarwars1425
Grammatical Issues.

47 minutes ago, legostarwars1425 said:

I have hoped that lego themselves, would make a sound brick that you would be able to put your own sound into-if that makes any sense-which now is possible. Thank you geniuses!

Me too!

Well, at least we have Lego Barcode brick, which could load few sounds and use them when commanded. It was very bulky and heavy with batteries included. But I love it very much, and I hope PFx Bricks will be worthy successor and more!