Bricksmith

London Underground 'tube' MOC. (1996 stock)

This tube stock model is based on the 1996 stock that currently runs on the Jubilee and Northern lines. My goal was to keep them 6- wide, and worked to fit the proportions that came from that. 

As a result, the model uses small tram wheels, which introduces an obvious problem if i wish to motorize it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do so i'm happy to hear them!

The model roof isn't high enough to fit minifigures inside unfortunately, but removing their legs and clipping them to the inside can produce a nice effect. 

32581522004_2a0f1fae43_b.jpg

32581522074_03154d1980_c.jpg

I'll possibly post some more photos in the near future, as well as a showcase video on my youtube channel.

Nice work! Powering it could be a nightmare though. Maybe if you made one axle with the PF train wheel and have that truck pivot point right above the axle you could make something work?

Yes!! That's a fantastic model. The looks and proportions are very good indeed. Picking 1996TS as a prototype was a good move.

Powering the model could be problematic, but not impossible. There is already a 9V Underground layout in existence running some deep tube as well as sub-surface models. The solution that builder, David Tabner, came up with was to use the small train wheels on all except the motor bogie. The motor itself unavoidably protruded into the body of the car, but David disguised it using skirts.

Fitting the power and control functions may be your biggest challenge, but even that is not impossible. You could use the smaller SBrick for control linked to a 9V PP3 battery via a MiniZip cable and control the train by Bluetooth from your phone.

Edited by Hod Carrier

4 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

On either end of the cars, the technique is fantastic, for the windows! Is the roof removable? 

The roof is removable, yes- i'll upload some photos soon of the interior as the various railings that people usually hang on to actually hold the model together too!

48 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Yes!! That's a fantastic model. The looks and proportions are very good indeed. Picking 1996TS as a prototype was a good move.

Powering the model could be problematic, but not impossible. There is already a 9V Underground layout in existence running some deep tube as well as sub-surface models. The solution that builder, David Tabner, came up with was to use the small train wheels on all except the motor bogie. The motor itself unavoidably protruded into the body of the car, but David disguised it using skirts.

Fitting the power and control functions may be your biggest challenge, but even that is not impossible. You could use the smaller SBrick for control linked to a 9V PP3 battery via a MiniZip cable and control the train by Bluetooth from your phone.

Thanks! That idea did cross my mind, so i'll definitley look into it. Due to the way that the model has been made (A lot of SNOT) it'll certainly be a challenge, but i think that's unavoidable really.

How about putting a large road tire in the train (perhaps with a shock absorber to keep it pushed down) and have that drive over the center of the track? Haven't tried this, but might give you an alternative.

I was going to suggest the same as Phil B would work fine unless you have points then it might be problematic

4 hours ago, spzero said:

I was going to suggest the same as Phil B would work fine unless you have points then it might be problematic

The London Underground has two power rails as well, one on the side of the track and one between the running rails, so a line of tiles down the middle of the track for the road wheel to run on would actually be prototypically correct for the system. This line of tiles could be built up to the height of the rail and possibly make a smooth transition over switches.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've uploaded a youtube video showcasing the project. Should have more interesting, better lit shots of the train, including the interior.

Enjoy!

The fact that Minifig cannot stand up straight just makes it realistic for some of us, especially if it is packed and you need to stand by the doors!

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

The fact that Minifig cannot stand up straight just makes it realistic for some of us, especially if it is packed and you need to stand by the doors!

HaHa! Good point!

LMF