finnbricker

MOD: Vacation Getaways 31052 as a modular building

As a camper van, the 31052 Vacation Getaways set is far too big for my taste. But as an exception to the rule (the rule being that alternative 3in1 models are uninspiring and poorly made) the Hillside House style small building looked sort of nice in the pictures, and the sand blue windows and door frame were enticing. So in all the places of the world, I found this set for a good price in Switzerland, which otherwise must be the most expensive country in Europe... €41 for one set. I got one and built the house. It felt even smaller than I had thought, but with another set, it could be expanded... So I bought a second set, but didn't end up expanding the house. Instead, I started playing around with LDD. The result is a 16-wide three-storey modular building based on the idea of using the sand blue windows.

400x811.jpg

400x645.jpg

The back side is very plain, as are the sides of the building.

There is no interior, save for steps that take you from floor to floor, apart from the ground floor, which doesn't have any steps... I'm not too fond of creating interiors for residential buildings, since they are all more or less the same, so this will most likely remain empty.

400x508.jpg

400x544.jpg

400x280.jpg

I hope you like it!

Edited by finnbricker
Fixed images

Interesting idea. I had wanted those windows because of the color, but I didn't know of the 3n1 option for a smaller house.

Either way, this should fit in pretty well with most modular streets.

For some reason I HAVE to create an interior and stairs for each level, so I have many WIPs because of it. I'd love to scrap that idea and build just the building/facade so I can line them up easier, but for some reason I can't.

Either way, thanks for sharing.

Yes, Switzerland is expensive for usual products like tomatoes.. but for products with high added value, it is cheaper (VAT at around 7%), so if you buy legos, a computer, or a car, it is very often cheaper.. Very nice build out of it! Do you foresee to add an interior?

Thanks for sharing!

Whoa, cool, I hadn't even known that they made window frames in sand blue now. That's a real nice color alternative I'll definitely have to use sometime :)

The building looks nice, if a bit plain. The area above the shop windows with the 2x1 profile bricks could use some work, maybe a shop sign or an awning or something. Otherwise, this would look real nice on a street of Pet Shop styled houses!

I used to not like creating interiors, too, but it's grown on me...to the point where I spent an extensive amount of time designing them for my next modular, even tiling the floors of all regular floors for the first time (not the attic, though). And it pays off, having created it all in LDD and now building it for real is something I truly enjoy :classic:

3 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

Yes, Switzerland is expensive for usual products like tomatoes.. but for products with high added value, it is cheaper (VAT at around 7%), so if you buy legos, a computer, or a car, it is very often cheaper.. Very nice build out of it! Do you foresee to add an interior?

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, actually this was discounted and the regular price was about the same as Finland (which is more expensive than most of Europe). I think the main problem with Swiss prices is that 1 Sfr used to be worth about €0.70, now it's more or less 1:1. But this time I got lucky!

I don't think I will work on this anymore. I designed the façade and I like it, I also liked making the stairs. The building is only 12x16, so there would be very little room for any shop on the ground floor since it would also require a staircase. I initially thought the ground floor would only house a staircase and a sort of lobby, but I think I will just leave it as it is and start on a new project...

1 hour ago, RogerSmith said:

Whoa, cool, I hadn't even known that they made window frames in sand blue now. That's a real nice color alternative I'll definitely have to use sometime :)

The building looks nice, if a bit plain. The area above the shop windows with the 2x1 profile bricks could use some work, maybe a shop sign or an awning or something. Otherwise, this would look real nice on a street of Pet Shop styled houses!

I used to not like creating interiors, too, but it's grown on me...to the point where I spent an extensive amount of time designing them for my next modular, even tiling the floors of all regular floors for the first time (not the attic, though). And it pays off, having created it all in LDD and now building it for real is something I truly enjoy :classic:

Yeah, it is a bit plain since I wanted to use the colours from the original. The upper floors turned out nice, the ground floor would probably require some work...

Edited by finnbricker

7 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

For some reason I HAVE to create an interior and stairs for each level, so I have many WIPs because of it. I'd love to scrap that idea and build just the building/facade so I can line them up easier, but for some reason I can't.

I thought I was the only one :)

As for the build, I have been tempted to break up my 31052 myself for the sand windows as a starting point for a modular.

I decided to update the building a little. I was never happy with the roof, which seemed too high and made the building look too bulky. I redesigned the roof and made it lower.

The ground floor was a little too high, as well, so I removed one layer of bricks and made it a little lower. I also added some windows on the back side.

400x753.jpg

400x677.jpg

There's also a modest interior now for all you interior friends. Nothing inventive – some furniture from Stephanie's house and some random lamps etc from Creator houses. The sunbeds in the backyard are from Heartlake Grand Hotel.

800x535.jpg

800x536.jpg

I think the building looks a lot better now with these small modifications.

Is the building in the first post built using the bricks in two (2) sets of Vacation Getaways?

Or was that the original intention, but you ended up using plenty of bricks from your own supply? I'm guessing the latter?

Let me put it this way: I became inspired by the Vacation Getaway. I got two sets and used the bricks and ideas from those sets.

However, those Creator sets never have enough basic bricks to build side and back walls. So additionally, I've used mostly plain white bricks and tiles for the walls and some white profile bricks and bows for the façade.