6 minutes ago, roppie11 said:

you should check the page though, there is a 'tiny' mistake:wink:

Fixed that, thanks.

Great job! The original was one of my favorites. Amazing functions! And, you are not that old!

Andy D

If only the original movie used hamsters, I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

Great reproduction from a classic movie.  Just curious, any issues with going from Technic beams, etc. to system parts on the outside?

Wow! It's amazing, especially the rear turret, that mounted at a kind of track, as I see.  It's literally "Building Better MOCs"! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

Just curious, any issues with going from Technic beams, etc. to system parts on the outside?

No. Technic bricks have both the pin holes and studs, so they're they key.

Great job, I always think it's fun to 1+ yourself when you rebuild old mocs, I guess this also shows how far new system parts and third party devices have influenced and improved the capabilities of a builder to make things smaller, more compact and highly detailed.

At 2.35 in the video, you break the wheel arch when depressing the suspension.

Us people with OCD are tearing their hair out here. 

As as a matter of interest, what camera are you using? 

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

This video was shot mostly with Lumix G7 and a wide-angle lens, but there's also footage from GoPro 4, GoPro 4 Session, and a lot of post-processing.

Interesting! Very similar to my setup, except I shoot in 1080p and with a cannon. 

If it isn't to off topic, why 4K? I work in a cinema and our projector shoots 2K video onto a very large screen, and it appears very High definition. Why do you chose to shoot in near to twice the pixel density for screens near a hundredth of the size? 

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Why do you chose to shoot in near to twice the pixel density for screens near a hundredth of the size? 

Why do you assume people watch YT videos on mobiles only? 4K laptops and tablets are more and more common. 4K TVs are pretty much a standard and all of them have access to YouTube. I, for one, watched this video on a 60" 4K TV and it was worth it.
Also, to turn your question around: why would I NOT want to shoot at 4K if it's possible? Not only it doesn't take away anything from the lower resolutions, it actually improves image quality in case of my camera because at 4K resolution it's using 1:1 matrix pixel ratio. Meaning that the matrix is physically using a 3840 × 2160 pixels area to record the video, so there is no image stretching happening while recording: you record exactly what the matrix "sees". Thus sharper image and better overall quality.

Edited by Sariel

I see your point - I hadn't considered 4K TVs. Nonetheless, most people will likely be watching your videos on monitors or personal electronic devices. 

Even so, can you see the difference from  a normal viewing distance? As cNet states, can you notice the individual grains of sand in a beach from ten feet away? I can certainly see shooting in 4K for cinemas, and extremely large TVs. I can also see shooting in 4K then condensing it to 1080p.  

Personally, I am an advocate in the belief that 4K and such resolutions are included in devices purely because companies can. Apple has stated that the iPhone seven will be able to shoot video in 4K- when it only has a resolution 750 x 1334 pixels. 

In my opinion, it is not an excessive pixel count but the lens quality that makes a video crisp and clean- 1080 or even 720p could appear as good if not better then 4K if you used a superior lens. 

BTW, nice MOC.

I don't pay much attention to what Apple states, they're just re-selling the same product these days :) I had one of Sony Xperias capable of filming at native 4K 4 or 5 years ago already.

As for your arguments about 4K being excessive, I remember hearing the same exact arguments about 1080p a couple of years ago. IMHO if you can get a 4K TV today for the same kind of money you paid for a 1080p TV a few years ago, it's a win-win situation. And yes, personally I can see more details at 4K on an 60" screen.

Lens matter, of course, but I've heard from video producers that the matrix pixel ration matters no less. 1:1 is ideal. When you're filming at 1080p with a DSLR, what happens is that the camera is filming at 4K or even more, then scaling it down to 1080 and then recording it - inevitably there is a quality loss in form of decreased sharpness, and a risk of artifacts and moire effect. To me, the 4K video image I'm getting from G7 seems noticeably crisper than 1080p - but it may be just more details.

Then again, editing a video at 4K quality is a huge pain in the ***. My PC isn't really up to it.

Edited by Sariel

This is so cool. My favourite feature is definitely the sliding turret. I read the description on how you did it on your website, but I still can't put my head around how i actually works :grin:. Awesome....

10 hours ago, miobricks said:

This is so cool. My favourite feature is definitely the sliding turret. I read the description on how you did it on your website, but I still can't put my head around how i actually works :grin:

There's a number of videos showing the inner workings at my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sarielpl/

Coolest APC from the coolest movie ever. It's great to see an update Sariel. Any chance of a damaged version like in the movie after the attack as well?

2 hours ago, Lasse D said:

Any chance of a damaged version like in the movie after the attack as well?

Well, to be accurate I would need to set it on fire, so I think I'll pass :)

12 hours ago, Sariel said:

There's a number of videos showing the inner workings at my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sarielpl/

Found it! So I see my mistake is I thought the turret somehow has motorised wheels that move on the track and that is how it moves. 

But actually (correct me if I am wrong) there is still a track but the whole turret is kind of "pulled" by the beams/liftarms under the track.

And does the micromotor control the rotation of the turret?