stella2015

Best lego Castle set?

Hey guys, whats everyones favorite lego Castle set? i like Vladeks fortress. We love the color scheme and the look. what does everyone think? We also love helms deep, but it is technically not a castle. 

#6085 is mine. I brooded over it in catalogs for about a year and then received it for my 7th birthday.

I have 3 copies of Vladeks castle, the lego store had piles of them in crushed/ heavily damaged boxes for 50% off or something ridiculous. I bought as many as I could afford at the time.  I made one giant one out of it that was pretty cool. Might have pics of that somewhere.  I know a lot of people didn't like that line or that castle, but I certainly did.

Edited by Criosphynx

Personally I don't have any favourite set. I liked old serie with Jayko Vladek ect... but I haven't ever chosen my favourite.

Edited by jakbar

It's too subjective to answer definitively, but I can say that for myself, I surely wouldn't include anything from KKII.

My personal favorites are the original 80's 6080 King's Castle and the King's Mountain Fortress. Black Knight's castle is a close runner up.

Just now, Falconer said:

Kingdoms Joust + Medieval Market Village. Gorgeous.

You take the words right out of my mouth. These two really stand out from the more recent sets. They are brilliant and carry over so much charme from classic castle. With all the advantages of modern pieces and printing! :classic:

I agree with Criosphinx, I think that the Black Monarch's Fortress is my favorite.  Probably due to the nostalgia, as I also really liked the 1984 King's Castle as well.  Some of the later castle sets seemed like rehashes.  The old 375 Castle is pretty awesome too--I kind of like the brick-built fortresses.  One of these days I would love to own a copy of it.

I love the Medieval Village set for the more modern stuff, and I wish that there were more sets like that, the Kingdoms Joust, and the Mill Village Raid.  I have two copies of Daniel Siskind's Blacksmith Shop as well--that's another set that's a classic.  I think getting away from straight castles and getting more into the common medieval life would be a great way for Lego to go.

Perhaps controversially, my favourite is 70403 Dragon Mountain. But my view of it is no doubt influenced by the eponymous dragon in that set.  

12 minutes ago, Jellyeater said:

My favourite is: http://brickset.com/sets/6086-1/Black-Knight-s-Castle

6086-1.jpg

I never had it. :-(

This one is pretty awesome, unfortunately I didn't have it as a kid. However as an adult its been plentiful, I ended up with a duplicate, so I rebuilt recently in order to sell it. I had forgotten how awesome it was.  I also think it makes better use of this baseplate than the Mountain fortress did. 

If I recall correctly another member recently did a remake of this on a brick build base instead of using the baseplate, and it was stunning.

Edited by Criosphynx

This is not an easy question.

I guess a top 3 would be better and I have no idea which is on number 1.

6086 Black Knight's Castle or Dungeons Master Castle

6090 Royal Knight's Castle

6079 Dark Forest Fortress

I am quitte fortunate to have those 3. :sweet:

My personal favorite is my original set #375 from 1978. I realize I'm dating myself here, but I've had it since I think 1980. It was my first "big" set, and is still one of my all time favorites.

The Medieval Market Village is my favorite set. 

Edited by Ogist

I have both the market village and the joust. I haven't put the joust together yet. We have a 4 year old who is just discovering Lego so I'm saving a lot of sets to give to him as he gets older. He's already putting together some of the easier sets without help.

Mine would have to be 7946 King's Castle mainly for memories sake. It was my first castle set ever and I got it for $70 at target when it was first released! But for build sake it would have to be 6918 Blacksmith Attack. Such an amazing build and accessories with such a cheap price! Has to be my favorite for sure.  

Medieval Market Village, hands down. For me, nothing else even comes close - not even Kingdoms Joust. Mill Village Raid is great as well, but doesn't quite get up there.

As for actual castles, I'd probably pick Black Knight's Castle as pictures previously in this thread. A magnificent castle with both a great build and fantastic colours. They really should do more castles in black (I like Vladek's as well). Sadly, I own neither.

That's an interesting topic, stella2015! :thumbup:

For me the best Castle set so far is of course the Medieval Market Village, very closely followed by the Kingdoms Joust and the Mill Village Raid - three absolutely amazing sets!

On 4/9/2017 at 6:08 PM, BrickG said:

Any with a cool baseplate. I miss cool, bumpy, moutainy baseplates.

Speaking of baseplates... anyone else remember when baseplates used to have white dots painted on them to show you where to put the first pieces? I was going through my old stuff last night and found a couple of them.

Oh boy. Knight's Kingdom II is absolute nostalgia to me. I will never forget the day my parents bought me this precious set:

8779 - The Grand Tournament 

Lego The Grand Tournament

It was during a vacation in the mountains. I hurt my hand countless times using the jousting-slammer, but I didn't care. After playing with it for a while, I tore it apart. And rebuilt it. And tore it apart... Then I started making traps for Jayco to run past at lightning speed. It's funny, because the fact that the heroes had ridiculously bright colors or the super abilities never occurred as odd or strange. Now let me tell you about the truly best (my opinion of course!).

So a year later I receive Vladek's Dark Fortress for my birthday. WOW. 

8877-1.png

Now often cover art feels misleading to me, as things usually felt over-promised. Not THIS set. My friends, it was every bit as epic as the box said it would be. 

I could go on, but I think we've all had enough of my rant. :laugh: Thank-you stella2015 for jogging my memory! Those were good times.

I didnt get it until I was an adult, but my favorite castle set is 7094 King's Castle Siege ... the disign of everything is just fantastic.

Well... Originally I was just into Town, even though I loved fairytales. It changes when I received this little set: 6023 Maiden's Cart. In the years after getting the cart, my collection of Castle expanded rather quickly. So of course it has a special place in my heart.

My preferences are for the 80s and early 90s castle, though some really great, detailed sets have been made in the last decade. Anyway my childhood set are my favourites with the 6085 Black Monarch's Castle (Dragon Knight's Castle) being the "main attraction". 6067 Guarded Inn and 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress (Eagle Knight's Castle) are certainly also wonderful sets.

Of the newer ones, 10193 Medieval Market Village and the beautiful, beautiful 10223 Kingdoms Joust (which I never got) really raised the bar for details in Castle sets.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:04 AM, The Loreman said:

Oh boy. Knight's Kingdom II is absolute nostalgia to me. I will never forget the day my parents bought me this precious set:

8779 - The Grand Tournament 

Lego The Grand Tournament

It was during a vacation in the mountains. I hurt my hand countless times using the jousting-slammer, but I didn't care. After playing with it for a while, I tore it apart. And rebuilt it. And tore it apart... Then I started making traps for Jayco to run past at lightning speed. It's funny, because the fact that the heroes had ridiculously bright colors or the super abilities never occurred as odd or strange. Now let me tell you about the truly best (my opinion of course!).

So a year later I receive Vladek's Dark Fortress for my birthday. WOW. 

8877-1.png

Now often cover art feels misleading to me, as things usually felt over-promised. Not THIS set. My friends, it was every bit as epic as the box said it would be. 

I could go on, but I think we've all had enough of my rant. :laugh: Thank-you stella2015 for jogging my memory! Those were good times.

I often regret not buying any of the KK2 System playsets after the first year. My main interest in the theme was in the story and buildable figures, but I often feel like the playsets got really good right when I stopped collecting them. :tongue:

Within the Castle theme itself, my favorite set I owned was probably https://brickset.com/sets/6048-1/Majisto-s-Magical-Workshop or https://brickset.com/sets/6093-1/Flying-Ninja-Fortress. Of sets I didn't own, the only ones that particularly jump out at me are https://brickset.com/sets/7946-1/King-s-Castle and https://brickset.com/sets/10193-1/Medieval-Market-Village. They're not really sets I want to have but they're closer to what I like than most other sets.

Really, my favorite LEGO castles tend to be ones that feel more livable, which tend to be from themes outside the "Castle" theme proper. Sets like https://brickset.com/sets/4842-1/Hogwarts-Castlehttps://brickset.com/sets/41180-1/Ragana-s-Magic-Shadow-Castle, and https://brickset.com/sets/70323-1/Jestro-s-Volcano-Lair. Ragana's castle is probably my all-around favorite of those three. Elves in general tends to be much better at delivering what I expect to see in a  medieval fantasy theme, with gorgeous brick-built dragons, livable buildings, colorful and fascinating environments, an enticing story, and character designs with lots of personality. I hope that when traditional Castle sets come back they will take some cues from themes like Nexo Knights and Elves, and incorporate more livable spaces.