Sign in to follow this  

For the challenge Lugnut challenge of March I have created this golden dekotora.

The presenter, Mr. Bling, got briefly distracted by the onlookers who have gathered out front, taking a selfie.

1dekotora_selfie_small.jpg

It features a tasteful, modern and spartan use of the golden 2x2 brick from town plan, as well as a couple of 1x2 golden tiles for accent highlights.

2dekotora3.jpg

The two NXT motors are completely overworked by the massive weight and 3:1 gearing. You can catch a glimpse of the motors in this pic:

2dekotora5.jpg

There is a better view from below:

3dekotora_under.jpg

Here you can also spot the standard Ackerman steering geometry and Servo motor which is my currently preferred Model Team steering setup.

The rear is adorned with a couple of fake exhausts:

2dekotora4.jpg

While the front has a couple of additional lights to help you see clearly in those dark evenings:

2dekotora7.jpg

Of course the top has been decorated in a similar fashion. You don't want to skimp on the details:

2dekotora8.jpg

The Brickshelf gallery is public and found in my Model Team folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=51342

This is just a fun little side step from my usual MOCs. I will try to rearrange the power supply, and perhaps use something more powerful to drive it. If I succeed, I will post a video. Take care now, and drive safely.

Amazing! The vehicle is very detailed and SUPER shiny! The figures are also a very nice touch to the model. I like it! Are any pieces chromed by 3rd party sources?

Your choice of motors should move this beauty quite easily, you just need to gear them down a bit. Swap the two current gears (put the large one on the wheel axle), or try a 24 tooth gear on each axle.

Very nice photos, by the way. 

9 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Your choice of motors should move this beauty quite easily, you just need to gear them down a bit. Swap the two current gears (put the large one on the wheel axle), or try a 24 tooth gear on each axle.

Very nice photos, by the way. 

Thanks. Yes. I will first try to use an NXT with the current set up. It gives much more power than a PF receiver. If that succeeds, it will be extremely fast. If it fails, I will try without gearing. If that also fails, then the swap of gears should do the job, but then I lose the speed ;(

12 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Amazing! The vehicle is very detailed and SUPER shiny! The figures are also a very nice touch to the model. I like it! Are any pieces chromed by 3rd party sources?

Thanks. All the chrome and gold is completely standard. No 3rd. party trickery.

8 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I like your sarcastic humor. :laugh: The aesthetics are nice, and your photography is excellent. How good is the steering lock on the front axle?

Thanks. The steering worked fine... until I added 5 pounds of mass on top of it. I have to redo the front wheel arches in order for it to operate smoothly. It will be fixed with the power upgrade. I will keep this thread updated once that is done.

Good news! It turns out that I should just use fully charged batteries. The Dekotora runs perfectly fine, and I have added some outtakes to the end of the video:

Wow, this is simply amazing! I wish you had some LEDs installed to light it up like a Christmas tree!

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

LOL, this is indeed something different:laugh:, a very Indian vibe is tuning in now

The dekotora comes from Japan. ;) 

The truck looks nice, but dekotoras are not my cup of tea.

11 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

The dekotora comes from Japan. ;) 

The truck looks nice, but dekotoras are not my cup of tea.

I didn't know that (obviously :laugh:), one learns every day.

I love it! Gotta love those crazy japanese people. It captures the dekotora spirit perfectly.

Edited by Sylvian