Hey everyone, off all the technic sets, which one is considered the hardest to build? I have built the mercedes truck with my son. Half way through it, I about lost my mind. whats your guys feedback?

42043 is a hard one.

I think my hardest build was 8043 but maybe that was because it was one of my first builds. It has a really complex gearbox.

42055 B model !

I gave up after two attempts.

Edited by Doug72

Of all I've built, 42054 is the most intricate, so I guess it's the hardest I've made.

But I also messed up on the 42042 Crawler Crane gearbox. 

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

There is none official Lego technic set that's difficult to build.

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Just now, Doug72 said:

42055 B model !

I gave up after two attempts.

Can you tell me more about why it was so hard? I built it but i had no problems. I always make sure to get my parts first before putting it together on each step. 

After hundreds of builds and as an adult none of them are hard, but in purely relative terms, looking at every Technic set ever made I would say 42009 is probably the hardest to build correctly because with 42009, more than any other set, it isn't just about following the instructions. You have to really make sure everything runs perfectly otherwise that motor just isn't powerful enough to operate all of it's functions (like the outriggers) reliably. I think 8480 and 8043 had the same issue to a much lesser extent. Most sets are pretty fool proof however. Just build it to the instructions and it'll work just fine.

Honestly, I don't find any of the builds difficult, you just have to take your time and follow the instructions. The difficult part is modding the original builds and MOCs 

7 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Honestly, I don't find any of the builds difficult, you just have to take your time and follow the instructions.

I agree, it can be annoying when you mess up a complex assembly, but it isn't really hard.

Personally i think the 8880 was the hardest model to build. In only 36 steps you build a truly remarkable model that has never been matched. Nowadays every set is "dumbed-down" in the buildinginstruction to a gazillion steps.. ...

37 minutes ago, JunkstyleGio said:

Personally i think the 8880 was the hardest model to build. In only 36 steps you build a truly remarkable model that has never been matched. Nowadays every set is "dumbed-down" in the buildinginstruction to a gazillion steps.. ...

Haha, complete true mate, the old sets where a pleasure to build, but whit the Nowadays style instructions, even the most difficult set can be make by a 6 year old kid and no fun anymore for a normal adult.:tongue:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

I nominate 8455, or 8868. So many pneumatic hoses, and they don't quite do what you want. But, that's not really hard, and, in my opinion, if you have trouble assembling sets, you might not be ready for Technic. I have zero trouble no matter the set, but I may be an odd case since I built a UCS Star Wars set when I was like 8. See, Lego sets are designed to be okay to build. And, honestly, with all the simplification of the instructions, and color coding, no adult should have any problem. Now, building a MOC of your own is different, or even building one with instructions, which range in quality from almost official to borderline unuseable.

Well I never build my sets as I part them out but the hardest unofficial set I have built is the ball factory by akiyuki.

42066 air race jet is my hardiest model. But it is so fun and greatest model I've ever built also!

I'd have to agree that the older 'studded' sets were more 'difficult' to build. These include both the 8880 supercar and the space shuttle 8480. There, the build steps were in 'layers' and it was often difficult to 'see' the differences from one step to the next. There, it was 'imperative' to collect all parts for each step, to make sure none is forgotten. Plus, the 'studded' look made it very difficult to 'discern' the drawings.

8880-1.png 8480-1.png

42009 was extremely fickle and tricky to build, especially with digital instructions.  I would say it was the least enjoyable of all the Technic sets I've built even though it was my most wanted set at the time.

I have not experienced a Technic set that I would say is hard to build. I have had some sets that are more complex like the 42009, but the complexity only added to my enjoyment. I try to be organized when I build and check my assemblies as I go. But if I make a mistake and have to go back, I feel that contributes to the learning experience.

i have not built the 42055, so I can't comment on it. 

I really enjoy complex builds, the more complex, the more I learn, the more I enjoy.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I think it was the 8880 to me there was a step when you had to add the B-pillar subassembly and several pins have to be clicked simultaneously and it was a pain to insert. Also I screwed the differentials once. As I recall the suspension wasn't easy to assembly either: the parts had to be stressed or something.

And pneumatic models are hard too, sometimes the instructions don't show how to root the tubes properly.

Edited by Lipko

Actually, I really nominate 8002.

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, it is not easy, and if you do it wrong, it does not work. The really unfortunate part is the rubber bands, they're the kind that degrade. It does have some neat parts, which is why I'm glad I didn't get rid of it.

Due to Lego instructions being so good I don't think size, part count or amount of complexity has much correlation with difficulty. Building a complex 3000 piece model just seems like building 10 simple 300 pieces models. The model may be complex but you still build only one step at a time placing only a few pieces per step. So there's really no difference.  I think the only difficulty comes from set design that is at the limit of functioning properly. 42009 and 42043 have a similar size and complexity and the same motor.However 42043s motor can power its many moving functions easily whereas the design of 42009 means its motor struggles to power some of its functions properly leading to unreliability and much more care needed during the build to make sure everything moves freely. 

Edited by allanp

14 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

There is none official Lego technic set that's difficult to build.

I agree with that. From my experience (first set 851) there is one virtue that LEGO is training us with their Technic line - it is patience. When you're patient enough and do not see as something that must be done in specific time then you'll find out it is a pleasant hobby and there is no need for frustration. 

question is what do you mean by hardest - complex construction or time spent to build particular set?

12 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Haha, complete true mate, the old sets where a pleasure to build, but whit the Nowadays style instructions, even the most difficult set can be make by a 6 year old kid and no fun anymore for a normal adult.:tongue:

That's true. That's why I like the older technic sets, it's still a real challenge to build them. At the moment I'm building the 8880 - looking forward to the finished model :)

But in real the hardest builds were models from other Technic enthusiasts. For ex. Sheos Mining Excavator.

Greetings

Alex