jemakrol

[BL] 10179 Milennium Falcon - with a twist

So... Yet Another 10179 fanboy/project. If you're tired of ppl going for their own Bricklinked falcons, you can stop read here. :) Well, I think I have more to say about it than "now it's my turn" but be advised - it IS about me trying to get myself a 10179.

My first dream came true, the 10134 Y-wing. It was actually easier than I thought. See further details here:

Encouraged by the success, I raised the bar "a little" and am now going for the Holy Grail of Bricklinking official sets, the mighty MF #10179. But of course it is with my own twist.

So what's my take on it? Well, for starters, I am NOT interested to pay those fantasy sums for overpriced parts that happen to be of exactly correct color. Don't get me wrong here, I DO want to get a set that is close to the real deal. But afaic the real deal is THE MOVIE and if my set happen do differ from the official #10179 due to my economical restraints, it's fine. I will try to make it look like MF allright, just not as the 10179 MF at any cost.

I consider part of the fun (at least for now) of Bricklinking an official set, to try to make it as affordable as possible. To be able to follow progress, order by order as the goal of getting all pieces comes closer. The countdown to Build Day is part of the fun, part of the journey. To make that journey interesting, I try to find solutions to lower the price to more reasonable levels

One easy thing is to swap colors. Easy is maybe wrong since it comes down to two scenarios: the expensive part either show or do not show on the set when built. If it does not show, it's an easy choice but on the other hand it can require a bit of investigation to determine if that piece really shows or not. But if the piece(s) show, it's more a matter of choice - will another color be worse or better or equally visually? Things like that.

Another, more intriguing thing, is to replace parts or constructs with other, more affordable alternatives. I did this on 10134 and am not afraid to do it on this set too. On area that could be target for redesign is the engines where those two LBG boat mast riggings go. I simply do not want to pay what they cost. My first and most obvious choice here is to skip the rigging, it looks pretty damn cool anyway. Other options include the black ones, after market versions but I do not exclude custom solution too. The neat thing is that I don't have to decide until I decide. The model will look awesome no matter what.

Being a programmer by profession I could not resist hacking my own tools to make the collection of parts more fun. First and most obvious part was to add something useful to the rather limiting tools in Bricklink. Bricklink is good for ordering and finding pieces to order, but it stops there. I want to keep track of progress and price over time. And i need lists to have in handy when I count pieces in new orders. To do this with pen and paper as I did with 10134 is time consuming and prone to errors. And to rely solely on Bricklink is also prone to errors.

33638089426_a661f4def8.jpgGS_10179_01

33549244211_0530928c16.jpgGS_10179_02

I swiftly hacked a Google Sheets document (see attached screenshots) to fulfill my needs. I quickly realized I needed a way to import Wanted Lists or at least Set Inventories to those sheets. The latter part was easy since it require no login. So my sheets support (via custom menu) import of set inventories, with pics and all.
However, I wanted to have support for Wanted Lists too, but those require login. Me being impatient did not find an easy solution to do that with Google App Scripts (it IS doable but I did not want to spend time finding a solution) so a promptly hacked another tool together - a windows forms app that can login to Bricklink and retrieve my wanted list(s) and present them in a grid, where I easily can export them to clip board, excel or file. In a perfect world I'd make those tools as one, but this was the easiest way to do it for me atm.

33294787710_c817415889.jpgGS_10179_03

So. I've spent about 6 months since I first started this project, but it was rather recent I begun ordering pieces for real. So far, I'm up to about 40% of the pieces at the cost of about 200 Euros. However, there are some expensive pieces left, so the price per piece count will go up - even if I try to find alternative solutions.

Please free to pop by this thread for updates in the future. My goal is to have all pieces to start build  before summer's over.

cheers,

Jens

Sounds like a great project as always, if I was undertaking this I would really wait and see what Lego release in the near future. There have been very strong hints of a new USC MF coming soon.

However, it looks like you a take lot of enjoyment from the sourcing of pieces so if that's your thing, all the best :classic:

edit- just clicked that you've been doing this for a while. Let's hope the new set will include some of the expensive pieces you need then.

Edited by That Orange Thing

Hey Jemakrol, it's always good to see someone else embarking on this insane project.

Building it "straight" is boring. I like what you did with the Y-Wing. In that spirit I'd like to suggest you take a look at my Falcon engine mod - my thread is here (and linked in my signature). The modified engines look insanely cool, are more accurate than the original, and cost a fraction of the price of two LBG boat riggings.

The rest of my mods are probably more expensive than the originals: but one suggestion I do have is to actively seek out old, chewed-up, yellowed and grotty "old grey" plates for the hull. Mixed with the modern plates they look great, and add depth and character to the model.

Good luck with your build - I shall be keeping an eye on this thread.

I have been working on the ucs falcon, on and off for like 2 years. close to getting all the pieces done. I, am sure, like everyone else, will have to subsitutte things like the radar dish and the rigging. For the people that have built this set, is this a really hard build?

12 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

Sounds like a great project as always, if I was undertaking this I would really wait and see what Lego release in the near future. There have been very strong hints of a new USC MF coming soon.

However, it looks like you a take lot of enjoyment from the sourcing of pieces so if that's your thing, all the best :classic:

edit- just clicked that you've been doing this for a while. Let's hope the new set will include some of the expensive pieces you need then.

Yeah, know that. A new UCS MF would def. be a buy - too. I still regret not getting the old one. I could not afford it back then, I actually held the box in my hand in the store thinking I would regret not buying it. I did. Still, I couldn't justify the price back then. Still can't TBH, really haha. :) Yes, collecting is part of my thing but I DO want the set too. Collecting it is just a more fun AND affordable way of getting out of production sets :D
The 10179 wasa started half a year ago but I've just recently started to collect parts more actively. I think I will be able to get all parts in about half a year from now on, tops. That might or might not include the final parts that are so expensive I feel I need to replace them.

Speaking of which:

12 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

Hey Jemakrol, it's always good to see someone else embarking on this insane project.

Building it "straight" is boring. I like what you did with the Y-Wing. In that spirit I'd like to suggest you take a look at my Falcon engine mod - my thread is here (and linked in my signature). The modified engines look insanely cool, are more accurate than the original, and cost a fraction of the price of two LBG boat riggings.

The rest of my mods are probably more expensive than the originals: but one suggestion I do have is to actively seek out old, chewed-up, yellowed and grotty "old grey" plates for the hull. Mixed with the modern plates they look great, and add depth and character to the model.

Good luck with your build - I shall be keeping an eye on this thread.

This my friend, is a true inspiration! I really like your MOD ScottishDave! It really made the rear part something special! I happen to think the whole mast rigging thing is somewhat unworthy. It is clearly noticeable that this set was designed some years ago. If it would have been released today it would most likely NOT have gotten a "sloppy" solution like that, but rather a more clever solution using snot and parts. And I would expect them to take the effort to design a custom cockpit windshield, as they did with Slave-1. For instance.

I will, for starters, just IGNORE the boat mast rigging I think. Then, when she is built, I can have a better overview of what I wanna do. Your MOD is a great inspiration for both this and getting my own 10179 and I appreciate you joined my thread and gave me a heads up! Also, MF IS a dirty old "pile of junk" so parts in other colors that still honor the original in the movies, is fine with me. I might not go for light in it, but still. U made that ship shine. Both literally and figuratively. As for the radar dish, I have one without print and it will look awesome anyway. And if I DO fancy the print, I have a custom sticker ready! The 60 levers are all accounted for in classic gray too. This means that it is very few  expensive cosmetic pieces that I have left, perhaps those red pieces - that surely can be replaced. Got a few of then too, actually. So, my challenge is the internal/structural parts and the parts that are not expensive one and one but comes in great numbers and thus affect price noticeable.

Thanks all who joined. It is so much more fun to share a journey like this and do it with people with same mindset. :) 

Edited by jemakrol

TY. It's actually Google Sheets :)
It sure does, and for me it makes it more fun too - I can keep an eye on progress and I think it is less error prone (as described) than pen and paper or bricklink.

If anyone is interested in that sheet I'd be happy to share it, but without support. Gimme a PM.

A couple of pics. First one is my first "big" order and the last one using pen and paper. I realized that it was not a good way to count and hurried up the docs I had started to automate the process.

32872322444_76014e5f39.jpg

Second pic is a couple of small orders but now I use my Google Sheets to get goin'. :)

32901365213_c265609a27.jpg

/J

In a period of much stress IRL and haven't had time to think much about my MF. Still, an order here, some pieces there and the piece count will be 3/4 of total any day now. :)

My Google Sheets 'app' has been updated and can now get Bricklink average prices for all pieces, which is really handy for me as I try to keep cost at a minimum. I wanted to spot the lots that push prices up. The expensive parts are easy to spot, but the ones that are neither cheap or expensive but come in large amounts tend to push price up quite a bit. Finding alternatives for those is a challenge and cost saving opportunity.

Why spend time on a silly google sheet? Well, since I cannot afford to buy all pieces at once but rather take time to collect them, I might as well do some fun things while waiting for the time I can build. And since all Lego is packed due to moving to a new house I cannot enjoy the Lego. Might as well use my programming skills to make the wait for my MF parts more fun. :)

I brick linked mine a year ago.......was a painful progress and if I'm honest, by the time I had all the parts, some of the fun and my soul had been sucked out of me........however once it's built it will be worthwhile........it does take up a lot of room so displaying it can be an issue......who needs a spare room anyway?

8 hours ago, Hunter003 said:

I brick linked mine a year ago.......was a painful progress and if I'm honest, by the time I had all the parts, some of the fun and my soul had been sucked out of me........however once it's built it will be worthwhile........it does take up a lot of room so displaying it can be an issue......who needs a spare room anyway?

Glad to hear you made it though, but I can understand your frustration. For me, collecting the parts is (thanks to my nerdy sheets) is part of the fun. But it's more of a construct on my part, to make that wait bearable. I've collected parts for a year now, so patience is of essence I'm afraid. For me it's a pure economical solution, I cannot afford to spare all that money for one purchase. So, If I need to save money for it, I might as well buy parts for it when I do and collect them, making wait somewhat less frustrating.

The display issue is not yet solved on my part, hehe.I have no room for it, nor all other cool sets I already have, but who cares? I want it! :D There IS a rather clever way of display it a couple of friends of mine have used - it is certainly an option for me:

http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6446

The first one is solved by using a guitar wall mount - only some minor adjustments to the model is needed. The second using a wall mount for TV, obviously. Might be a little more tricky but the cool factor is significant :)

So I'm basically there. After almost a year of sporadic bricklinking, I am two incoming orders and three missing pieces away from all pieces. Feels unreal somehow. Two years ago, I thought 10134 Y-Wing was beyond what I was capable of getting, now I have the 10179 MF. 

34718235065_907ab579b0_o.png

Now to next problem. No place to build it. No time either, until late July. Poor me :) ;)

Oh. Those boat mast riggings... I will skip them. Original ones are just way off the chart in price. And custom made, while affordable, does not quite cut it. I think the rear of the 10179 can be done better than using the grid of those mast riggings. Feels so... last decade, there has to be better ways of doing it. Have seen MODs that do this quite beautifully, with and without lightning. I want to make my own solution, but that will come when the set is complete, no hurry.

Next Bricklinkproject is already on its way (50% pieces collected). I will pause from SW and do a technic MOC. :D Then I will build @Anio's beatiful and megablocks-kicking A-wing.

Edited by jemakrol
No edit really: haha @eurobricks for replacing a** with megablocks. Funnty :)

9 hours ago, jemakrol said:

So I'm basically there. After almost a year of sporadic bricklinking, I am two incoming orders and three missing pieces away from all pieces. Feels unreal somehow. Two years ago, I thought 10134 Y-Wing was beyond what I was capable of getting, now I have the 10179 MF. 

34718235065_907ab579b0_o.png

Now to next problem. No place to build it. No time either, until late July. Poor me :) ;)

Oh. Those boat mast riggings... I will skip them. Original ones are just way off the chart in price. And custom made, while affordable, does not quite cut it. I think the rear of the 10179 can be done better than using the grid of those mast riggings. Feels so... last decade, there has to be better ways of doing it. Have seen MODs that do this quite beautifully, with and without lightning. I want to make my own solution, but that will come when the set is complete, no hurry.

Next Bricklinkproject is already on its way (50% pieces collected). I will pause from SW and do a technic MOC. :D Then I will build @Anio's beatiful and megablocks-kicking A-wing.

that one got me, too once... someone even quoted it before i noticed it myself, had to sneak in a ninja-edit to correct

Well. I got all pieces. I was about to sort them. Did that. Then something inevitable happened. I started build the set, despite that I had said build start would be *after* July and the upcoming move to a new house. It was, as it turned out, quite impossible not to start putting pieces together. :D :D

My challenges so far in the build: kittens with ninja skills, megablocks (yep, you read correctly!), knife+lego (yep again) and logistics problems. Read more at image captions of my flickr album, if you want.

My UCS 10179 Flickr Album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/141758426@N06/52s07s

All I can say so far: this thing is a f-n beast! <3 On top of that, putting it together it's a trip of pure happiness! The set is an artwork by all standards!

Edited by jemakrol
Forgot link

Love the captions of the challenges dealing with cat ninjas and other "challenges"!

Enjoy the build because most of the time, the journey is as good or if not better than the end result! :)

The 10179, BL-ed or original, is just a fantastic build.

1 hour ago, Azrielsc said:

Love the captions of the challenges dealing with cat ninjas and other "challenges"!

Enjoy the build because most of the time, the journey is as good or if not better than the end result! :)

The 10179, BL-ed or original, is just a fantastic build.

Hehe. thx mate. Agreed, it's a fantastic build. I'm in awe. Worth every hour of preparation and penny. 

So. Everything must come to an end, and now have this. Or at least for the time being.
I've finished the build and all I can say is: it's friggin' awesome! There are a few things that clearly belongs to a set of 2007 and that probably would have been done differently today. But if rumours prove true, we'll just see what they do with that new version of the UCS MF. Otherwise, I might return to my own MF and do some mods on the things I found... not perfect. Those parts of the build includes: cockpit, rear with those boat mast thingys and the lack of interiour.

Head over to my flickr album - if you're interested in the build process. I also wrote a review, but in Swedish, with the angle that this is a ten year old set and what comes (and not comes) with that. I won't post that here though, since it is in Swedish.

Edited by jemakrol
Wrong link