Brandon Stark

[Brandon Stark: Part 1, Chapter 5] The Avalonian Embassy in Nocturnus

Part 1, Chapter 1

Part 1, Chapter 2

Part 1, Chapter 3

Part 1, Chapter 4

32839381723_0aa912ac5b.jpgAvalonian Embassy 1 by Brandon Stark, on Flickr

32839385673_5fefab8b2d.jpgAvalonian Embassy 2 by Brandon Stark, on Flickr

After the meeting with Lord Alric Drondil, Brandon decided to do his part and find support from other Avalonian lords. On the road back to Avalonia, Brandon decided to visit one of the many Avalonian embassies in the guild. The embassy he is visiting was built six years ago, when the High King toured the land. Back then, it only consisted of the keep, a small curtain wall was built around the fortress during the Revolword War when the threat of attack was high.

With war at their doorstep, it isn't a surprise that the number of guards have nearly tripled since peacetime, as Brandon notices. After presenting the guards at the entrance with the badge of his office, he makes his way into the fortress to speak with its commander, Ser Kedry Longthorpe. A high ranking Green Rider before suffering a near-crippling injury, Ser Kedry is also in charge of the embassy's three Green Riders. 

As Brandon walks across to the keep, he is met by Ser Kedry. The two exchange greetings with each other. "Brandon, my old friend, it's so nice to see you after all these years. How are you doing, and how are those green lands of Avalonia? And what brings you to the middle of Nocturnus?" Ser Kedry and Brandon had met before the Revolword War, as Kedry was a high ranking Green Rider stationed in the capital. After Ser Kedry suffered an injury at the hands of an orc, Brandon offered him a position to command the Avalonian embassy in Nocturnus.

"I'm doing fine Ser Kedry. Avalonia is in a bad state, unfortunately. Refugees have flooded the capital, as I've noticed before I left Avalonia. It is also said that Drow and Hand of Corruption regiments roam the countryside, with our army to weak and divided to resist. Which is part of the reason that brings me back to Nocturnus. If the Spire is defeated here, Raavage's allies in Avalonia will flee down to the underground from whence they came."

"That is rather unfortunate to hear. Now, Brandon, what help can I offer you to help Avalonia so we can defeat Raavage?"

"I need all of your Green Riders to ride out tomorrow with a message to the individual lords of Avalonia. It's no use getting a message to Albion. The Spire supporters in the city will make sure word doesn't get out. I also need another Green Rider to send word to the next embassy so they can send word to an embassy after that, and so on."

"Of course, Brandon. I will summon our Green Riders and inform them of their mission. Safe travels to you Brandon. May you make it safely back to Avalonia. The roads are very dangerous at this time, as Nocturnian roads are always, but with the threat of Raavage so close by. Watch out for Spire soldiers. Now, goodbye Brandon."

Great work Brandon, I love the use of banners and flesh(?) Plants. I don't know if this is on purpose but odd touch of texture on the keep makes it feel older, compare to the wall, which is smooth. If so this is a brilliant idea :thumbup: If not, it still looks really cool :grin:

The plants on the foreground makes this build feel very Nocturnian, while the building is more Avalonian-styled :thumbup: Thougj I feel like the walls could use a bit more texture, this still is a nice build

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 0:48 AM, The Maestro said:

Great work Brandon, I love the use of banners and flesh(?) Plants. I don't know if this is on purpose but odd touch of texture on the keep makes it feel older, compare to the wall, which is smooth. If so this is a brilliant idea :thumbup: If not, it still looks really cool :grin:

Thanks. The plants' color are a darker color than flesh. As for the texture, I'm not sure if you read the story, but the keep is older than the wall, which was added later.

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 1:45 AM, TitusV said:

The plants on the foreground makes this build feel very Nocturnian, while the building is more Avalonian-styled :thumbup: Thougj I feel like the walls could use a bit more texture, this still is a nice build

Thank you! Like I said above, the wall is supposed to be newer than the keep.

Definitely a piece of Avalonia in a Nocturnus environment! I feel like the wall in front could use a tad more detailing as well.

On 3/27/2017 at 7:56 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Definitely a piece of Avalonia in a Nocturnus environment! I feel like the wall in front could use a tad more detailing as well.

Thank you!

Neat layout with the 2 sets of walls :thumbup: The cart in the street helps bring the scene to life :classic:

Nice build, Brandon! I like the thought that went into the layout. The courtyard, with all of the action, is my favorite bit. 

As regards presentation, I think (if it is possible) that it would be better to present a 3/4 view of the build, rather than a full-on frontal shot. I find the straight shot of the front (no matter what build, from the largest masterpiece of a castle to the smallest vignette) just a bit boring. A view from a corner looks better, aesthetically. Also, something I notice about LDD builds in general is that the individual brick lines fade into nothingness, creating an artificial-looking smooth grey surface. Is it possible to make those lines show up? Without them it just doesn't look much like LEGO. 

On 4/2/2017 at 3:25 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Neat layout with the 2 sets of walls :thumbup: The cart in the street helps bring the scene to life :classic:

Thank you!

On 4/3/2017 at 8:06 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice build, Brandon! I like the thought that went into the layout. The courtyard, with all of the action, is my favorite bit. 

As regards presentation, I think (if it is possible) that it would be better to present a 3/4 view of the build, rather than a full-on frontal shot. I find the straight shot of the front (no matter what build, from the largest masterpiece of a castle to the smallest vignette) just a bit boring. A view from a corner looks better, aesthetically. Also, something I notice about LDD builds in general is that the individual brick lines fade into nothingness, creating an artificial-looking smooth grey surface. Is it possible to make those lines show up? Without them it just doesn't look much like LEGO. 

Thanks! Your advice is great, I'll make sure to do that. As for the lines, I think it is possible with Bluerender v0.006, which I haven't downloaded yet.