Takanuinuva

How do you imagine Lego works in the Toy Story universe

Please move if it is in the wrong forum. (Or merge if there is already a similar topic)

Toy Story of terror shows a building block bunny reconfigure itself into stairs. Which makes me think Lego blocks would work like a hive mind. Each individual piece is its own being (Albeit without personalities) and they can form into whatever shape best suits the situation. As toys they will stay as whatever there kid builds them into. Or just remain as a mess of parts in a bin (Kinda like the toy soldiers bucket) Should a piece be modified. Like if it was cut into two. Each part would become a new being. In terms of movement. I'd imagine individual parts would hop around. And parts assembled into something would move as if they were that thing. (A vehicle would roll and an animal would walk).

That's just my take on it. What's yours?

I hadn't thought about it. But that is very interesting. I like the idea of them working together as a hive mind though.

Minifigs sure could come to life in the same sense as Woody and Buzz, with the added bonus that they could swap parts.  I suppose the "hive mind" could work, although it is hard to imagine a single brick being able to spontaneously move without a little help.  

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Minifigs sure could come to life in the same sense as Woody and Buzz, with the added bonus that they could swap parts.  I suppose the "hive mind" could work, although it is hard to imagine a single brick being able to spontaneously move without a little help.  

I'd imagine individual parts would hop around kinda like Mr Potato Head's parts. As for minifigures. I'd imagine they would move around but not talk. 

I'm a little bit late to the party, but I've got to ask...

What would happen if some heathen placed a mega blok into a mid-construction hive-mind project?

Would different systems have different thought patterns and trouble integrating into a hive mind? Technic vs System vs Bionicle (or other buildable figures) vs Duplo?

13 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

What would happen if some heathen placed a mega blok into a mid-construction hive-mind project?

Perhaps all building blocks in the Toy Story Universe are willing to work together despite being from different brands. As long as they can connect together that is. Wooden Blocks wouldn't be able to work with Lego Bricks.

3 hours ago, dulsi said:

Would different systems have different thought patterns and trouble integrating into a hive mind? Technic vs System vs Bionicle (or other buildable figures) vs Duplo?

I'd Imagine not. As long as they can connect together. They can work together as a hive mind.

10 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Perhaps all building blocks in the Toy Story Universe are willing to work together despite being from different brands.

Oh. I was imagining some kind of massacre akin to an ant colony with a dead grasshopper, but I guess your idea works too.

Personally, I think the hive-mind idea makes sense. Every part would have a very primitive mind of its own, but they only "work" when several parts unite (by comical bouncing) and arrange themselves in the desired way.

However, that rabbit had eyes IIRC. Probably the eye bricks have a more advanced mind, being capable of leading the others into assembling the model.

Now, let's consider those minifigs quietly helping Barbie and Ken with their luggage in Hawaiian Vacation.

Minifigs are quite probably smarter than bricks, maybe not too communicative but still able of achieving a goal by their own or by teamwork. If there are bricks around, they could control them and aid them into building something they all want and need. Co-operation between elements is the key to survival here.

About the interchanging of parts... They probably do it, but I don't see them actively swapping parts around like there's no value to their integrity. However, their basic minds might not delve conciously into the "is a car the same car once you replace all its parts" dilemma, so they may have no problem in removing wigs and limbs if absolutely required. The head, as in a human body, leads the actions of the other parts, so loose heads may still be concious and capable of movement when separated from a complete body assembly. They probably can also lead when connected in non-minifig assemblies, except if they are not intended to be living (structures, lamps, pretty much anything faceless).

On 17/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, dulsi said:

Would different systems have different thought patterns and trouble integrating into a hive mind?

As I see it, if they are compatible they can work together. They are different in their procedures, though. I see System being, as I described above, simple in its way to act. They gather, find a lead, and build what they need as intricate and as enduring as needed. No fuzz.

The Technic stuff, requiring a larger functionality, may work like System, but in a superior way. After gathering, they form groups and connect very precisely into the needed structure, making no mistakes. If there are Power Functions or Mindstorms, the Technic elements seek them inmediatly for command. Interaction with System is very effective, since the Technic elements assemble together and then they integrate easily with the System ones. If a dispute ocurrs, the hybrid parts (I mean these) will get everyone to solve it.

The Duplo stuff is, essentially, baby System. Their builds are simple and they may have trouble for assembling. Duplo people are quite able when directing them, but System elements can play an almost fatherly role to their effectiveness, supporting them in their work. If things get really hard and there are no System elements around, they may rather wait for a human child to help them.

The Bionicle and Constraction figures are living assemblies, so they work pretty much like action figures. They think, communicate and work perfectly on their own and serve their respective roles fine. Most might have a warrior mindset, eager to battle other action figures if required for a goal. The power of assembly is taken as an advantage, making them able to build armor, weapons and fortresses out of any useful elements, maybe even non-LEGO ones. They have trouble directing LEGO elements, since their basic level of focus is hard to reach for them. If needed, they might intimidate them into assembling. Still, they can figure it out together. Constraction figures may ponder about their integrity when swapping elements, given they see themselves as independent beings.

On 17/4/2017 at 1:51 AM, Actor Builder said:

The other brands' quality may affect their performance at work. As I see it, there are two possible solutions to this:

1- The LEGO elements consider them useful enough for co-operation, so they let them in. They might need some extra help for working together, but since LEGO parts and people are generally calm and focused in their work, they have no problem in aiding them for the greater good. OR...

2- The LEGO elements find them unsuitable for co-operation, due to an excessive lack of effectiveness (again, this may not happen with every brand. Chinese knock-offs most surely lead to this scenario...). They are ignored and the work continues. If the other brand insists in intruding, the LEGO elements might debate what to do. If Constraction figures are there, the resulting action is very likely to end up in conflict. In extreme cases where every LEGO element agrees that the other brand's presence is negative and normal action is not to be effective, they may all assemble into a powerful formation, approach the other brand and then, quickly, methodically, and above all effectively...

Spoiler

[EXPUNGED]

Wow you took my general idea and really expanded on it. 

Hopefully if building bricks have a bigger role in future Toy Story. This idea will be taken into consideration.

According to the wiki, there are LEGO Minifigures present in Toy Story 3. They're repairing a stuffed elephant...so maybe minifigs have brains and are capable of independent thought while random pieces act in a manner similar to the microbots from Big Hero 6?