-2 SBricks powered by one rechargeable battery box

-Portal axles

-Openable doors and tailgate

-Shallow bed with fold-down sides

-Detachable roof

-Alternative tube doors

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The chassis is not realistic, but has decent offroad capability as heavy Lego model.

My goal was to make a sturdy and powerful crawler having propulsion motors and gearbox on the center of its chassis. Which means the drivetrain contains two universal joints - weakest points - for transmitting the torque to front and rear live axles. To save U-joints from damaging, I adopted two stage reductions after differential on both axles.

The gearbox is similar one to my previous FJ40 Crawler. I doubled the pair of 8T/24T gear for higher durability. High gear is three times faster than low gear.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

You may wonder why rear ball joint is connected lower than front. That is for avoiding body roll caused by high torque of hard-coupled XL motors. Seeing from the gearbox, the rear output rotates in opposite direction to the front one. So the front and rear axle are equally forced to rotate in opposite direction to each other. Thus the center chassis with heavy body does not easily roll left or right even when climbing steep incline.

(...at least on paper. I admit the complete body is a little bit too heavy to prove the theory above.)

800x450.jpg

Steering angle is good, but turning radius is not so good. Because of the lack of center differential, it cannot handle different rotating speed of front and rear axle in tight turning. On slippy surface, like in the video, it can be steered without any problem.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Rear differential can be locked instantaneously.

The role of 8T gear on top of red changeover part is to make a tiny gap between 16T clutch gear and driving ring in locked position. Thanks to the gap, 16T gear is not pushed against outer structure. That helps to decreasing the friction.

800x450.jpg

Front winch is powered by M motor geared 9:1. I used two pairs of 8T/24T gear instead of worm gear. It is smoother and surprisingly powerful. The hook can be manually pulled out by switching the lever under right seat.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The body looks a bit squarish comparing to the real Mighty FC. Maybe I could replicate trapezoidal shape of its cabin. But I thought angled pillars and roll cage would be wobbly. So I decided to build simple yet sturdy. Instead of realistic appearance, I managed to realize easily detachable roof and doors.

800x450.jpg

Although the whole MOC is built for using Unimog tires, Claas tires also fit well. But the maximum articulation of axles would be smaller because bigger tires possibly touch the chassis and fenders. It would be necessary to limit suspension travel or slightly modify the chassis.

800x450.jpg

I hope you will like it! :wink:

I will make building instruction. But I have to finish the instruction of Pickup first. :roflmao:

Awesome model by Madoca! Great day for those who in Love with Jeep, and bored of Toyota:tongue:

Here are Concept and orignal model in real

jeep-mighty-fc.jpg1958_Jeep_FC_Rockville,MD_show_front.JPG

Edited by rm8

Great model - this should be Rock crawler model and not 9398. Sorry LEGO designers, but our Japanese friend just made better job :thumbup:

That looks so awesome. Could've looked sicker with the 41999 blue. Great job as usual Madocca. As igor said this should've been the rock crawler?

Excellent model, with great functions! The vehicle has a modest yet very recognizable look and you managed to capture that perfectly :thumbup:. Great job, as usual!

Edited by Didumos69

I am stunned, the performance is usually on high level, but the capture of the original design, and the fact it is blue (yess), make this model outstanding. Again. :classic: :thumbup::thumbup:

Dude, this car is awesome! Very cool and good loking on off-road! An interesting chassis that demonstrates that it is possible to climb anywhere on open differentials, just lock the rear gearbox .... well, a double slide after them :classic:

Thank you, everyone! :classic:

Maybe I made a mistake. Obviously bigger tires look better. Fortunately the drivetrain was capable of crawling with 107mm tires. So It would be possible using same chassis, big tires, and different body.

I think it is very good, and I like it a lot. I don't have many blue parts though, but I hope to build the chassis and maybe the body in a different color. 

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Great performance!

Such a good way to save universal joints on a heavy model, which has bothered me for a long time. :sceptic:

Another excellent model! (Gee, what a surprise. :wink:) Love the blue, it makes a nice change from red/white/black. I think it looks better with the Claas tires, and I must say that the front shaping is great! :thumbup: I doubt the great Madoca would be interested, but I started designing a front axle with a diff lock only 15 studs wide. Link

Just add one to my wish-list of MOC's I want to build, and modify :pir_tong2:

The front looks very realistic, I like the small touches like the orange, I think they are chain mounting points, that you added.

At first I thought that you made the bed really shallow because of space constraints but it appears the real thing is like that too.

9c658234b088ea34c5f34536334139ca.jpg

22 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Nice Jeep, really like how it performs and looks) By the way, i think smaller tires looks more authentic here.

Thanks! Actually Unimog tire is close to the right size on this scale.

11 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

A bit tall for my taste, but as usual, you've nailed the functions and the bodywork. Great model!

I know it looks like "lifted" because fenders are too far from tires. But I left that space on purpose for better suspension travel. Bigger tire makes the space shorter like the real model. I think that is why oversized tires (last photo) looks rather similar to real Jeep.

Hi @Madoca 1977, your jeep looks really cool, I'm a fan! :thumbup:

On 3/24/2017 at 8:13 PM, Madoca 1977 said:

800x450.jpg

Rear differential can be locked instantaneously.

The role of 8T gear on top of red changeover part is to make a tiny gap between 16T clutch gear and driving ring in locked position. Thanks to the gap, 16T gear is not pushed against outer structure. That helps to decreasing the friction.

I do have a question about the 8T gear that you mentioned here. Is the driving ring (the black one) a 12T? A gap is needed, but doesn't the positioning of the clutch gear and the driving ring already provide a perfect fit? And last one, a noobie question, what colour is that 16T clutch gear? It looks white, but I checked bricklink and it doesn't come in white. Thanks!

13 hours ago, miobricks said:

Hi @Madoca 1977, your jeep looks really cool, I'm a fan! :thumbup:

I do have a question about the 8T gear that you mentioned here. Is the driving ring (the black one) a 12T? A gap is needed, but doesn't the positioning of the clutch gear and the driving ring already provide a perfect fit? And last one, a noobie question, what colour is that 16T clutch gear? It looks white, but I checked bricklink and it doesn't come in white. Thanks!

I expected such inconvenience since TLG called two completely different gears by a same name: "Clutch gear". Seems that you're talking about combination of a black 12T gear and white 24T Clutch gear (Slipping gear), whereas Madocca told about combination of red Driving ring 2L and 16T Clutch gear that placed behind this 12T-40T combination (16T partly invisible). Hope that he put a Dark-Gray 16T instead of a new Red that could add even more friction.

Edited by Void_S
Catalinanmb's remark - off course, 24T!

12 hours ago, miobricks said:

I am not sure if I could explain correctly...  See the picture below and check the video 1:40~1:46.

800x449.jpg

8T gear is just for making tiny space. When diff locked, red changeover part is positioned almost vertically, but not exactly vertical because of the space made by a tooth of 8T gear. Which means red driving ring is not fully pushed against DBG 16T clutch gear. That means DBG 16T clutch gear is not pushed against outer liftarm.
So, 8T gear could be replaced with any other parts of same diameter.

Excellent build Madoca! I have built almost all your creations and I am now in financial problems since I refuse to disassemble the

Avtoros :) I hope and guess that this jeep will be on rebrickable in a not too distant future? Please..?

18 hours ago, Void_S said:

I expected such inconvenience since TLG called two completely different gears by a same name: "Clutch gear". Seems that you're talking about combination of a black 12T gear and white 24T Clutch gear (Slipping gear), whereas Madocca told about combination of red Driving ring 2L and 16T Clutch gear that placed behind this 12T-40T combination (16T partly invisible). Hope that he put a Dark-Gray 16T instead of a new Red that could add even more friction.

I see now, I was focusing on the wrong component.

14 hours ago, Madoca 1977 said:

8T gear is just for making tiny space. When diff locked, red changeover part is positioned almost vertically, but not exactly vertical because of the space made by a tooth of 8T gear. Which means red driving ring is not fully pushed against DBG 16T clutch gear. That means DBG 16T clutch gear is not pushed against outer liftarm.
So, 8T gear could be replaced with any other parts of same diameter.

Thanks, that picture really clears it up :sweet:.

I'm going to have to disassemble your FJ40 jeep to build this, otherwise you are going to send me broke, or worse divorced!

Amazing build I can't wait for more photos or the build to appear on rebrickable..

fantastic truck...thanks for making instructions for all of us...much appreciated!! We all wait in anticipation for your MOC's