If you aren't sure what the benefits of a locking differential are, did you try doing a Google search?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=locking+differential

From Wikipedia:

A locking differential is designed to overcome the chief limitation of a standard open differential by essentially "locking" both wheels on an axle together as if on a common shaft. This forces both wheels to turn in unison, regardless of the traction (or lack thereof) available to either wheel individually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

A locking differential is typically used in off-road vehicles where one wheel might lose traction.

1. Open Differential: When on a surface with enough traction for both wheels (such as a paved road), an open differential allows each wheel to turn at the appropriate speed around corners.  But if one of the wheels loses traction, the vehicle will stop moving.
  2. Locked Differential: When on a surface where traction to one of the wheels differs from the other wheel (such as a dirt road or ice), a locked differential allows both wheels to continue turning.  So as long as one of the wheels has traction, the vehicle will keep moving.
    On a surface with enough traction for both wheels (such as a paved road), when going around corners a locked differential will cause one of the wheels to 'scrub'.  In full size cars, this will cause accelerated and uneven wear on the tires.

An axle that has a 'locking' differential provides the benefits of both:

• When on a road with sufficient traction, leave the differential open to reduce tire wear.
  • When off-road, lock the differential to increase overall traction.

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I am seeing more and more locking differentials on MOCs, but I do not see how they are useful. Does anyone know why?

Maybe TechnicRCRacer is making self-examination on the side of a far-away mountain lake, and the question is about why he doesn't see them usefull. :classic:

czNBj0Jf_400x400.jpg

(I do apologize.)

Edited by agrof

@Splat Thanks for the info! I now understand the reason of being of a locking differential! I was unsure because when I turn my MOCs with the diff locked, the turn is slower because of friction.

@agrof Haha! True:laugh:

7 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@Splat Thanks for the info! I now understand the reason of being of a locking differential! I was unsure because when I turn my MOCs with the diff locked, the turn is slower because of friction.

Yea, riding with diff locks only makes sense on a surface that allows wheels to slip or even spin. There have been army trucks around without diffs and when these were driven on a normal road the driver had to ride with one side through the verge of the road every once in a while to take out windup in the drive train.

Edited by Didumos69