Sign in to follow this  
Cyberfounder

Help with angles, slopes, curves

Hello Eurobricks,

Recently I discovered a renewed interest in Sci Fi/Space and I started to mess around in LDD a bit. After some research I found something's that I would like to try out. The problem is that I'm mostly a castle builder, and for my designs I don't required a lot of knowledge about angle, slope and curve techniques.

I will give an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112058573@N02/18902016223/in/dateposted/

I really like the design on this one, but I can't figure out how to make the side panels work without them falling of by just looking at them. :tongue:

Can anyone give me some hints or some good tutorials? I would be very grateful! :grin:

From the image I would guess that maybe the angles are achieved with technic beams and that the panels are held on to the craft with axles and pins.

I don't know if there's a book somewhere that shows you all the ways to angle pieces (that would be awesome, someone make that ASAP please lol) but...

Take a look at all those Technic connectors that people usually ignore. They come in all sorts of angles, just connect them with axles. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/search.page?q=technic+angled&tab=P#T=P

Here's another way to create an angled surface, stumbled on it by messing around with pieces today. I imagine you could add/remove plates under the hinge pieces to change the angle, or even move the hinges closer together to get a steep angle.

NyG0dPq.jpg

Would be great if there was a place where people posted exactly how they achieved certain shapes and angles, because usually when I ask people how they did something they just tell me to "figure it out" or flat out to buzz off. Please let me know if you find a helpful resource.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I'm also scratching my head on this sort of thing as I start to explore what I can do creatively, rather than just throwing together something with a pair of wings that my son will think is brilliant!  I've found the ratchet hinge pieces are quite useful, they give your angles some solidity and can take quite a lot of weight.  The modern pieces also include some nice smooth curves that are useful for detail.

For panels and the like, I've found some pieces that are similar to 80s Lego pieces I used to use, so say a 2 by 1 plate with a 2 by 2 plate attached to it at a right angle.  That's useful because you can build around the 2 by 1 plate and then attach things on the outside of the hull, even just little gratings for a bit more detail.  

As my son hasn't progressed to technic sets as yet I don't really know what you can do with them in detail, but I would imagine a lot of angles could be created - I just don't know how you'd then hide the innards effectively!