wcdf00

Please help me recognize these parts

Hi, I recently just take over Robotic Club of my school and doing some inventory checking. I found out there are RCX Sets and NXT 9648, 9695, 9797. Inside these kit I found some parts that I have no idea what can I do with them. Can someone be kind enough to tell me what are these part and where can I use these, since I and collecting some mechanism examples for my students to learn. Thanks a lot.

lego.jpg

Edited by wcdf00

• Lower left: This is a turntable. It allows you to rotate one structure in relation to another one like for instance the turret of a tank. 
  • Top left: This cam can be used in camshaft mechanisms. Also, it allows for a 1.5 stud offset which can be useful in some mechanisms, especially crankshafts
  • Bottom middle: These gearboxes allows easy fitting of a worm wheel and a 24t gear for a 1:24 reduction in rotational speed and a 24x increase in torque.
  • Center left: This is a differential, allowing the outer driven wheel to turn faster than the inner one in a turn
  • Center Right: This is a clutch, used in gearboxes. You'll need additional parts for it.
  • Right: These rods are used for suspension in cases there there needs to be more than one degree of freedom

The blue piece came in the Mindstorms Vision Command (below) and other sets. It is just connector and works well with another part.

32137.png 32138.png

I have not found much use for the blue part over the years.

Maybe the best way to see how many of these pieces (in OP's original post) are used is to build the camera support module (you do not need the camera), that has pan/tilt, in set 9731

9731-1.png

Edited by DrJB

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

I have not found much use for the blue part over the years.

Yes, because this part (32137) and especially connections with it, that pretended on a kind of multi-functional and easy-to-use in 1999 sets, turned out to be a weak and unsuccessful at all. So, it was discontinued immediately.

The two similar parts at the top are unfortunately simply rubber band holders, the part a rubber band would be attached to in a new set. A pretty useless part I feel; I don't think anyone ever used them in a MOC, but I could be proved wrong.

The parts middle-left and top-right can be clipped together (with a host of other similar 'ratchet joint' parts) to form an angled joint that can be posed at set intervals. Useful for pose-able arms, hands, feet, small cranes etc. 

11 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

The two similar parts at the top are unfortunately simply rubber band holders, the part a rubber band would be attached to in a new set. A pretty useless part I feel; I don't think anyone ever used them in a MOC, but I could be proved wrong.

The parts middle-left and top-right can be clipped together (with a host of other similar 'ratchet joint' parts) to form an angled joint that can be posed at set intervals. Useful for pose-able arms, hands, feet, small cranes etc. 

Thanks, I just try out the part. It really look like robot hand

13 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

A pretty useless part I feel; I don't think anyone ever used them in a MOC, but I could be proved wrong.

:laugh: Actually they are a favorite part of mine. 

8441680522_1e99d1430a_c.jpg

DSC01232es.JPG

14 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

for small one: that part got the inofficial name "nnenn" due to a user using it regulary.