Henjin_Quilones

Book II, Challenge V, Category B: The Armored Bears of Hesperia

The Armored Bears of Hesperia

A Build for Challenge V, Category B, on behalf of the Alliance. 

In the land of Hesperia, an elven kingdom in the far west of Avalonia, nestled in the depths of the Enchanted Forest, there are many beasts of great size, from giant eagles to mighty dragons. Among the fearsome creatures one might encounter under the shade of the magical trees, typically in the upper regions of the highlands, are enormous brown bears. Fiercely territorial and aggressive when provoked, nevertheless the elves have managed to recruit their aid in times of need to serve as mighty beasts of war. Blacksmiths work long hours to create custom armor to protect the mighty frames of the great bears from enemy projectiles while not seriously impacting the mobility of the noble creatures. Here, at Rogobel's blacksmith shop just outside the walls of Istolia, a major Hesperian settlement, Rogobel and his assistants are working around the clock to turn out armor for the bears. Urgaalikku, a proud Ursine chieftain, is receiving his armor. To keep the bears from leaving as the heavy metal is pounded and riveted around them, the bears are fed a steady supply of fruit and vegetables.  

33536504005_01b9a53414_c.jpg

"Rogobel!" shouted Haladrian. "We are going to need more fruit here pretty soon! Chief Urgaalikku is hungry today."

33536500055_67a833f291_c.jpg

"You've been working at the forge all day, Rogobel," said Tirian, his lead assistant. "Let me take a turn at the anvil."

"Grab your own from the corner, Tirian," grunted Rogobel, "and make yourself useful rather than standing around like a maiden in a daisy field."

33152821100_365fb36808_c.jpg

"Feladrim, I'm glad you are here," said Drogo. "Did you grab the case of rivets from the shelf like I asked? I have to add the next row of plates above this one or Rogobel will be on my case."

"Um, no, I grabbed the forward-mounted crossbow, like I thought you asked."

33536502275_11c44e5f00_c.jpg

33152822400_c504fd2d39_c.jpg

Spoiler

Just Chief Urgaalikku:

33152824510_f2cd723a49_c.jpg

No figures, showing the cobblestone courtyard better:

33152826220_267195566f_c.jpg

Bears are sometimes unpredictable and get into things they shouldn't:

33536505495_84f1f914fa_c.jpg

................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome. This thing was rather difficult to photograph, but I think it turned out alright in the end. 

That bear is beautiful. The smithy is nicely laid out and the wall and gate are great. The cobblestone flooring is really good too. I am glad you took a pic of that without the bear. I also like the playability of the bear. A very nice scene.

The Bear is great.  The wall is fantastic, I love the texturing of it.  I especially like the door on the wall.  The small building is creative and the cobblestone floor is neat.  I like the story as well. 

The bear is fantastic, the architecture is fantastic, the texturing is fantastic, the detail and posing is fantastic. Overall a fantastic Moc, with too many thing I like to mention without writing a essay. Now I am gonna take my entry home and cry myself to sleep :laugh:

You have really out-done yourself man! This is just great!

The build is awesome, I really like the courtyard, the arches above the gate, the Avalonian sigil (all hail Avalonia :wink:), the statue, the forge... :wub: 

That being said, the small conversations are uite funny as well :laugh: 

It's wonderful to see you continuing to create mighty beasts for the 'good guys' :thumbup: Quite beautiful architecture as well! Those large wedge parts work so well here. And those gates are perfect :wub:

The bonus shot of the bear checking out the chimney really shows off his pose-ability well :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Wow!  Excellent job on that bear, seems like large animals is definitely your strong point! :wub:  Wonderful elven architecture here as well, though, the curving horns and recessed arches work very well, and the texture floor and walls, with the light trans-green touches, finish off the scene perfectly!  You've definitely been improving fast, and this would probably my favorite build of yours yet! :thumbup:  Keep it up! :excited:

What a creative idea - well executed too, great bear shape!  The wall and building are what really grabbed my attention though - the quadruple arch looks awesome and I really like the hints of silver on that building off to the side! :thumbup:

On 3/19/2017 at 5:21 PM, Muakhah said:

That bear is beautiful. The smithy is nicely laid out and the wall and gate are great. The cobblestone flooring is really good too. I am glad you took a pic of that without the bear. I also like the playability of the bear. A very nice scene.

Thank you, Muakhah! I am glad you like the bear and everything! The posability of the bear was important to me. 

On 3/19/2017 at 10:31 PM, zoth33 said:

The Bear is great.  The wall is fantastic, I love the texturing of it.  I especially like the door on the wall.  The small building is creative and the cobblestone floor is neat.  I like the story as well. 

Thanks, Zoth! Your words are very kind. 

On 3/19/2017 at 10:58 PM, The Maestro said:

The bear is fantastic, the architecture is fantastic, the texturing is fantastic, the detail and posing is fantastic. Overall a fantastic Moc, with too many thing I like to mention without writing a essay. Now I am gonna take my entry home and cry myself to sleep :laugh:

So... you're saying it's fantastic? I am glad you like it, Maestro. Your entry was excellent, too.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:36 AM, TitusV said:

You have really out-done yourself man! This is just great!

The build is awesome, I really like the courtyard, the arches above the gate, the Avalonian sigil (all hail Avalonia :wink:), the statue, the forge... :wub: 

That being said, the small conversations are uite funny as well :laugh: 

Thanks, Titus! I think the conversations help bring some life to the build, personally. 

21 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

It's wonderful to see you continuing to create mighty beasts for the 'good guys' :thumbup: Quite beautiful architecture as well! Those large wedge parts work so well here. And those gates are perfect :wub:

The bonus shot of the bear checking out the chimney really shows off his pose-ability well :classic:

I like the beasts, I guess, and think there should be more brick-built ones (besides just dragons) in Historica. I am glad you like the wedge plates; they were something of a headache, since they kept popping off as I reached over the MOC to grab something behind it. Thanks, SK!

20 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Wow!  Excellent job on that bear, seems like large animals is definitely your strong point! :wub:  Wonderful elven architecture here as well, though, the curving horns and recessed arches work very well, and the texture floor and walls, with the light trans-green touches, finish off the scene perfectly!  You've definitely been improving fast, and this would probably my favorite build of yours yet! :thumbup:  Keep it up! :excited:

I'm not sure what else I might have in store, large animal-wise; but I am glad you have liked the ones so far, Garm! Glad you like the rest, too!

13 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

What a creative idea - well executed too, great bear shape!  The wall and building are what really grabbed my attention though - the quadruple arch looks awesome and I really like the hints of silver on that building off to the side! :thumbup:

Thanks, Kai! The arch was inspired by some other builds I have seen in the past, and the idea kept percolating until it came out here. 

I dare to say, I feel like that part of the wall left from the gate is a bit overtextured, especially if compared to the other parts, but it looks like everyone else likes it, so it must be personal taste :blush: this being said, I'm in love with the forge, fine and particular elvish architecture and as for the bear, cool idea and awesome execution! :thumbup:

The wall texturing is great, but I really am liking the custom built war beast. Great work!

Great backdrop for sure!  Brick-built furry creatures are really hard though, and I'm not really feeling this one.  More studs as "fur" texture would have maybe helped.

Well done!  I love the guy feeding the bear and the glowing hot red rod on the forge.  Great idea with the mask on the blacksmith, too. 

I really like the walls, gate, and building, which are my favorite part of the build. Your bear is also very well done.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:21 PM, en_zoo said:

I dare to say, I feel like that part of the wall left from the gate is a bit overtextured, especially if compared to the other parts, but it looks like everyone else likes it, so it must be personal taste :blush: this being said, I'm in love with the forge, fine and particular elvish architecture and as for the bear, cool idea and awesome execution! :thumbup:

Thanks, en_zoo! The wall texture I was going for was extreme, so if you think it is over-textured, my goal was achieved. I wanted it to contrast with the smoothness of the wall around the gate and the battlements above. Glad you like the bear, too. It was a beast (pun intended) to get right. 

On 3/21/2017 at 2:44 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Quite innovative!  Great bear that is!

Thanks, Cap! The bear's no camel, but still...

On 3/22/2017 at 0:01 PM, Blufiji said:

The wall texturing is great, but I really am liking the custom built war beast. Great work!

Thank you, Blu! Brick-built animals are something that I have never been that good at, so I have been challenging myself in that area during this challenge. Hopefully we'll see more of them around Historica. 

On 3/26/2017 at 7:28 PM, mrcp6d said:

Great backdrop for sure!  Brick-built furry creatures are really hard though, and I'm not really feeling this one.  More studs as "fur" texture would have maybe helped.

Thanks, mrcp6d! It is, as you say, difficult with furry creatures, but my feeling was that smooth texture was a bit better than too studdy, as it allows the rounded, organic shape to be seen a bit more clearly than the unnaturally regular stud pattern. A matter of personal preference, perhaps. 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:32 AM, wout1988 said:

Great build! Love the bear!

Thanks!

On 3/28/2017 at 0:28 AM, Grover said:

Well done!  I love the guy feeding the bear and the glowing hot red rod on the forge.  Great idea with the mask on the blacksmith, too. 

The prevalent glowing orange rods are perhaps the best part about NK sets, aside from the villains. And the mask was chiefly intended to hide the bit of yellow flesh showing at the neck, but also serves nicely to keep sparks and soot from going down the smith's throat. 

On 3/29/2017 at 8:09 PM, Brandon Stark said:

I really like the walls, gate, and building, which are my favorite part of the build. Your bear is also very well done.

Thanks, Brandon. I spent a considerable amount of time on the backdrop, so I am glad you like them!

On 3/31/2017 at 7:41 PM, Mpyromaxos said:

Amazing Bear loved it! :wub:
great job with the castle walls also!

Thanks, Mpyromaxos! Your praise is appreciated!

Stunning build, Henjin! I love how deep the archway is, and one again your brickbuilt animal is outstanding :wub: The fact that he is quite pose-able makes it even better.
The use of large wedge slopes on the battlements looks great, as does the rest of your architecture. There are some great details in the forge area as well :thumbup: