Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

I'm  going to make my first RC lego car, the 42039 B-model.

I find a lot of (contradicting) info , mostly  on YouTube. I know what I can buy but not what's best to buy. This is why I started this thread. I'm sorry in advance for all the newbie questions.

Which components should I buy? I read a servo, 2x L, battery box, v2 receiver and remote controller should suffice.

-I'm planning to use 2x L and a servo motor. On YouTube I see that there are models that use XL (1 or 2) and M motors. XL is better for heavy cars...is 42039 considered to be heavy? What's the use of M-motor when I have servo?

-How do I know how many motors my battery box can carry? Can I add a second battery box, add more motors and give my car more speed and power?

-A new v2 receiver is very expensive, I'm going to buy a used one.

-There are 2 kinds of remote controllers (normal and speed). I saw a model where a normal and speed are put together and I saw a model that used two normals...what is the best setup?

thanks in advance,

itoero

Can someone plz answer on this?

-I'm planning to use 2x L and a servo motor. On YouTube I see that there are models that use XL (1 or 2) and M motors. XL is better for heavy cars...is 42039 considered to be heavy? What's the use of M-motor when I have servo?

Sometimes people use the m motor instead of a servo motor because they do not have a servo motor. If you can get a servo, go with that, it's a much better steering motor. 

2 L motors should do what you want with one battery box. If you add another battery box for more power to divide amongst the motors, you are only adding weight. Stick to 2 L motors and 1 battery box. If for whatever reason the L motors are not enough, you can always hear them down for more torque. 

I hope that helps 

Thanks for the answer

Is it possible to combine 5 L motors (+servo and v2) and 2 battery boxes?

Is this been tried before?

How I divide my motors between battery boxes; 

1 battery box has 1 receiver, but receivers are set to the same channel, have your drive motors on the same color and your servo on one of the receivers on the opposite color 

make sense? 

I don't understand

Other question...

One battery box gives 800mA. If I use 2 L(450mA) for driving, servo (150mA)for steering and 2M(300mA) for lights and backdoor then I have 900 mA. (I suppose the receiver doesn't use mA)

So should I use only 1 L for driving? Then I have 675mA and my battery box won't explode...

Or can I replace an m motor with worm gear?

Edited by itoero

battery box -> receiver (channel 1) -> blue -> drive

red -> steering

battery box -> receiver (channel 1) -> blue -> drive 

red-> 

This is what I was talking about.  Having both receiver set to the same channel allows you to have more battery boxes and still only control with one remote.  I hope that clears things up.  The only down side to this is that you can not really use the other "red" port because that would only move when you are steering.  

As for the mA for battery boxes and motor, I am not sure and I do not want to tell you incorrect information

Ah ok, thx that's clear.

42039B model has 4 functions, can I connect them all with one receiver?

ok, I think the last question:

How do I control which of the worm geared functions has to 'work'?

Like I understand it, you  can fulfill 2 functions with one m motor...using worm gear.

But how can you control which function to work?

oh, sure you could control 2 functions with a worm gear, but I do not advice it.  Using a worm gear is normally used to change direct of an axle and increase torque