Bregir

[COR-FB] The Sapphire Seas

To Captain Jonathan Cooke, Colonial Governor, Cocovia

Dear friend,

We have arrived safely on the island of Cascadia, and have rendezvous'ed with the forerunners of the Royal Pioneers. Hopefully, we will soon start to set up a more permanent camp. The commander of the Pioneers assures me that as soon as the rest of his unit arrives they will start setting up fortified positions. And I must say, I the wealth of nature here is astonishing. We have stumbled upon masses of nondescriept plants, beetles and felines, and I cannot wait to dive upon the reefs, or explore the inlands. 

However, I write to you to draw your attention to something I am sure you will find interesting, you being the very image of the nautical being. We were surveying a bay for its usefulness as a harbour for our camp, when this oddly shaped vessel stood in, its crew offering us pelts and fruits. I have forwarded a serious of drawings young mr. Baker have made. He is proving to be a most valuable companion in documenting what we find, and I trust you will find his illustrations fascinating.

Your humble servant

Montoya

33350325712_02efb3f944_c.jpg

Note: I have never seen anything like these sails, and I am certain you are able to conclude much more from these drawings than myself.

33123135520_3a655c58c5_c.jpg

Note: Notice the armament, a sort of ballistae. They seem unaware of gunpowder, but showed how their steel spears thrown by this contraption would pierce a heavy plank at a hundred yards!

33123137040_06d0cab587_c.jpg

Note: The strange pulley up front appears able to change the rake of masts. To what extent that influences its sailing properties, I have no idea.

Thanks for looking, guys. C&C welcome. This is not as advanced as my other (ongoing) ship mocs, but I bought those longboat hulls and wanted to try them out. And this is where it ended. She will be licensed as a 5T.

That is one gigantic chicken head at the bow! (I hope that it is supposed to be a chicken :P)

This ship may (!) get me to dig out my pair of longboat parts as well and see what I can do with them. Stay tuned!

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol: Love that chicken head at the front there, Bregir! :rofl:  Really curious design too, with all the ups and downs, but it works quite nicely for all that, and looks singularly appropriate for an indian-esque vessel :thumbup:  The slanting doors to the cabin (?  I'm assuming :grin:) and the crossbow are some of my favorite details as well!

Neat ship here Bregir, interesting cross between a canoe, a Viking longship, and a gunboat!  Cool to see some native locomotion anyhow!

What a neat and unique little boat you've built there. It's nice to see some native vessels sailing the waters and it's even nicer when they have a fun backstory to compliment the build.

As for the build, it looks quite nice. The ballista looks like a very interesting design (would it be possible to get some pictures of it without the black deck?), and the various ladders and crates are good details to include. I'm not sure about the holes beneath the cabin's windows; they are a little low on the hull and it seems like even a mild wave will result in water flowing into the boat.

Keep up the good work.

This is a very unique and interesting approach to a ship - I like it a lot - and that discovery report style introduction is pretty well done, too :thumbup: 

The only thing I find slightly out of place are the latticed windows and fences - they seem a bit too fancy to have been crafted by savages. But then, this might just be my Halosian chauvinism speaking :grin:

Now you just need to convince the crew of the Horned Chicken to join Corrington's convoys - shouldn't be too hard, after all, they've already got the colors right :wink:

Keep it up!

Great looking ship, very original, I like the rooster. It maybe just me, but this indigenous ship looks a lot like the CSS Virginia.

Thank you all. :pir-blush:

On 18/03/2017 at 0:17 PM, Legostone said:

That is one gigantic chicken head at the bow! (I hope that it is supposed to be a chicken :P)

On 18/03/2017 at 1:58 PM, Garmadon said:

Love that chicken head at the front there, Bregir!

On 18/03/2017 at 2:21 PM, gedren_y said:

That's one horn-y chicken!

Have you never heard of the horned rooster god of the Prio Seas? Sacrifice your most precious belongings to it, or be prepared to face its wrath! :pir-wink:

On 18/03/2017 at 0:17 PM, Legostone said:

This ship may (!) get me to dig out my pair of longboat parts as well and see what I can do with them. Stay tuned!

Happy to have inspired you. I have just dismantled her, and started something like a mid-1300 warship on the same hull pieces (although shortened by two hull sections).

On 18/03/2017 at 1:58 PM, Garmadon said:

Really curious design too, with all the ups and downs, but it works quite nicely for all that, and looks singularly appropriate for an indian-esque vessel :thumbup:  The slanting doors to the cabin (?  I'm assuming :grin:) and the crossbow are some of my favorite details as well!

Well, I needed to try something different from Napoleonic era vessels. Happy you like it. The crossbow is actually a reuse from long since. :pir-wink: And yes, those slanting doors lead to the cabin.

On 18/03/2017 at 3:16 PM, Kai NRG said:

Cool to see some native locomotion anyhow!

It's not quite up to par with Phred's amazing native vessel, but it is a genre quite underrepresented in BoBS. :pir-blush:

23 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

What a neat and unique little boat you've built there. It's nice to see some native vessels sailing the waters and it's even nicer when they have a fun backstory to compliment the build.

As for the build, it looks quite nice. The ballista looks like a very interesting design (would it be possible to get some pictures of it without the black deck?), and the various ladders and crates are good details to include. I'm not sure about the holes beneath the cabin's windows; they are a little low on the hull and it seems like even a mild wave will result in water flowing into the boat.

Keep up the good work.

It really isn't that small, though! :pir-wink: But thank you for the nice words. I never really warmed to the vessel myself, but as it was finished, I thought I might as well share it. I will see if I can remember to get some pictures of the ballista.And those holes are probably related to their pumping technology, most likely some sort of valves only letting water out. Perhaps we will never know? :pir-tongue:

21 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

This is a very unique and interesting approach to a ship - I like it a lot - and that discovery report style introduction is pretty well done, too :thumbup: 

The only thing I find slightly out of place are the latticed windows and fences - they seem a bit too fancy to have been crafted by savages. But then, this might just be my Halosian chauvinism speaking :grin:

Thank you - glad the presentation form worked. :pir-blush:

And while those parts may be too fancy for savages, they are certainly not too fancy for this people! Bloody xenophobe! :pir-wink:

23 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Great looking ship, very original, I like the rooster. It maybe just me, but this indigenous ship looks a lot like the CSS Virginia.

Thank you, Bodi. And come to think of it, you are right - it does very much have the same profile as the ironclad, although I doubt she would last long against the Virginia. :pir-grin:

@Captain Genaro I would suspect the round holes to be covered from the inside while not in use, and if in use they may be rowing ports. Else Bregir may cover them up with flowers :P

@Bregir I'll have to see what I can come up with, don't really have a plan yet, but maybe I'll like it enough to share it:P

Interesting ship design. The red makes the ship really stand out. I also really like the custom sails and rigging. 

Interesting ship Bregir, I did wonder about it when I first saw it in your flickr stream... The slanting cabin is really cool, and of course the figure head is a fun touch! So the natives have steel? That's a pretty big advancement from what we've seen previously, where the natives were using primarily obsidian weapons. I wonder what else is waiting to be discovered on Cascadia??? :pir-wink:

Nice vessel! I missed this earlier. I especially like the rooster-like masthead and as always the rigging! Now let's teach those indigenous people the virtue of gunpowder and cannons on board ships! :tongue: