Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB] The 'États de Boussac'

Ahoy once more, laddies.

Long time no ship - shame on me - so I hope to make up for it by presenting something a little larger this time.

États de Boussac

33360908121_84d56eb922_c.jpg

Ordered and paid for by the Estates of the Province of Boussac, the États used to call the Great Northern Ocean her home for the past years, trading goods between Pontilla and Northern Oleon. But now she is one of the first larger Terramen to see regular service on the shipping lines between Halos and New Terra. With the increased traffic, the number of pirates and other threats increases, too. Being able to protect the more and more valuable cargo, larger and better protected ships are becoming essential for the merchant elite of Halos. As she can easily carry a broadside of 10 medium or even heavy guns, the États de Boussac surely has what it takes to prevail on the perilous waves.

May Poseidon and Tyche bless her journeys!

33360909651_eff3e46ed6_c.jpg

33489139095_7c79539b1f_c.jpg

33448224856_ed17923131_c.jpg

And the good ol' comparison shot:

33489142405_614a066a30_c.jpg

About: I think this is the biggest ship I've posted here so far. It's also my first attempt at a custom hull galleon. Therefore, the États is rather just a simple, non-fancy test ship to get a feeling for the shaping of such a hull. A 3D model I found online served as inspiration... and it didn't turn out too bad, I think. Using flex-tubes as rigging instead of the strings with handles I used to is still pretty new to me, getting them in place is even more annoying, but it looks better - in my eyes at least. What else? As usual, all can be built... And finally some numbers: waterline is 85 studs, beam is 22. Piece count is 'only' slightly over 7000, as internally, she only features the decks, but nothing else. Should still be large and massive enough to be at least a class 7 with the new ship classes.

Thanks for watching :classic:

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

You never cease to amaze me, KB, and this ship is no exception. I like the hull, the mast and rigging, the yellow sections, and the statues on the ship. Overall, great ship.

What a ship! Amazing how you managed to reproduce exactly the shape of the real ship, and all these details, a true masterpiece.:thumbup:

Great ship! (be it in size or in other ways :P)

But it would be boring if I were to leave it at that. First - how is the stern lamp made? I see cheeseslopes and a couple of small radar dishes, but I see no way they are connected together - I thought you were building your ships in a way they could be build? Then, one thing I really dislike about this shiptype (not your fault though - I've seen it just a couple days ago on an actual shipmodel and have seen many plans which had the same thing) - the lone gunport on the lower deck. It just looks wrong (again, not your fault, I just don't like them there). As well as that - can you show the bow from ontop? I would like to see how you solved that issue (if you did that is :wink:). I also think the dk grey hingeplate you used to mount the lowest headrail could've been brown - they exist to my knowledge. The headrails look great btw - have you tried having the center one a different colour? Might (!) look even better.

Wow, beautiful curves on that hull, KB, you've captured them to well-nigh perfection! :wub:  How sturdy would that technique be IRL?  Excellent sails and rigging as usual too, and the conquistadors, railing around the stern, and use of those new shields (not really new any more, I suppose :grin:) look great as well :thumbup:  Very nice lantern on the back (I'm fairly sure I know how you built that - a travis brick and two rounds with holes in them and a pole down the middle, and a trans-clear 2x1 on each side holding the cheese slopes, correct? - but I'd be happy to see a breakdown as well), and I actually rather like the lower gunport in the back.  The railing on the stern, mizzenmast, and that woefully underappreciated but excellent ship's boat are some of my favorite section too :pir-wink:

And now my post feels as tall as your galleon :laugh:  Excellent job all around!

Wow!  This is huge - fantastic curves too, and the rigging looks really good!  

This, sir, is a very nice, chubby merchantman. You did an excellent job with all those curves to give her a very tall yet chubby look. Lovely job with the stern details and the head rails. I'm not too familiar with this type of prototype, so I can't offer any advice on how accurate she is, but I can say that she's a well done MOC.

Wow, thanks for all the praise, y'all.

4 hours ago, Legostone said:

how is the stern lamp made?

That's just a 'sandwich' made of cheeseslopes squeezed in between two radar dishes, spiked with a 4L lightsaber bar. It's held together by nothing but clutch power. Works fine irl, though.

the lone gunport on the lower deck

Haha, yeah, either find it cute or hate it :laugh: 

can you show the bow from ontop?

Like this?

33354733542_ca7bf28cd6_c.jpg

the dk grey hingeplate you used to mount the lowest headrail

I used this one here, not the two stud deep version. You're right though - apparently I had come to believe they were dk, but they actually come in black - which is nicer to include.

headrails look great btw - have you tried having the center one a different colour?

No center here, as they are only two plates thick. Some other WIPs feature what you describe, so I went for all-yellow in this one, not to be too repetitive.

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

How sturdy would that technique be IRL?

That depends on how many bricks you invest. I still want to use this technique in a brick built ship eventually, so... let's see :wink:

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

that woefully underappreciated but excellent ship's boat

You and that boat :laugh:

Stunning! I love it! :wub:  I'll spend some time looking over the details on this one. :thumbup:

It's great to see you building proper ships now. :wink: I'm a sucker for galleons. Looking forward to seeing more from you from this time period!

Beautiful ship. A shame it would be so expensive to build.

7 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

You and that boat :laugh:

:laugh: :grin: Well, I had just built a jollyboat myself, and found that small brickbuilt boats aren't nearly as easy as they might look - plus, it's rather rare that we actually see ships with their boats in BoBS (most ship wouldn't even fit them very well! - talking for my own, at least! :laugh:), so I thought I ought to give credit where credit was due! :pir-wink:

Well, I am not going to repeat how absolutely amazing this looks, but only say that this is a great representation of a shps of this period.

I would add that those three golden minifigs carrying the stern gallery is an amazing touch, but without going into unnecessary nitpicking (and without spending hours and hours) I can't really offer any constructive advice. STOP MAKING THEM SO PERFECT! :pir-sing::pir-wink:

Another beautiful ship KB, I've got no idea how you do it (or how we can keep up :pir_laugh2:)!

Great job as always!

Beautiful galleon. That hull is fantastic and the combination of yellow and gold accents looks really nice. Perhaps the lone lower gunport would look better in brown, although I suppose you'd have to use the longer style flap piece to do it? Excellent vessel all around.

That's a ship fitting my taste. Good work on the hull (although you should add a warning"ship does not float!" to avoid charges).