Sign in to follow this  
ALCO

New MOC: Union Pacific 4017 "Big Boy"

Hello! I have been a member for a while and first jumped into Eurobricks with a tread about my Rise from the Dark Ages full of all the things I had be building in LDD. Now I present to you, the locomotive that started my whole enlightenment in the first place. The Union Pacific 4000 class. I chose to number mine after 4017 which is on display in Green Bay, Wisconsin since that is the one I have gone to see. If you poke around my Flickr long enough you might be able to find some earlier versions than the one you see in the photos below. I'm sorry I do not have professional photos this engine made its debut at the last NILTC show this past weekend. They were gracious enough to let me join them. I know some of them took a whole lot more photos and videos than I but here are a few that I have. Coaster was there and it was a real treat to see this run through his custom R104 double cross-over. For some interesting notes: The version in brick is 8.4. That is I have almost completely rebuilt this 8 times in LDD and have made 4 minor revisions. This engine has 2 XL motors in the boiler and is geared to the same as the Emerald Night. BrickStuff lighting gear lights up the head light, the front marker lights, the cab, and the rear red light on the back of the tender. I do plan to do a proper photo-shoot but I am moving soon so it will not take place until some time this summer. In the mean time...enjoy!! I would love to hear all comments and critiques.

33388284846_f1bc7b623a_k.jpg

33388285766_effa22382c_k.jpg

This next is not very good, but it handles curves just fine.

33388286446_b2b8cebac1_k.jpg

32587097194_3bd6aebb90_k.jpg

32587097664_3b368949a3_k.jpg

32587097954_0f89b1fe46_k.jpg

32587098364_425d169135_h.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have any videos yet...but I have one and will post it later. I hope you enjoy and I will update once I have had time for a proper photo-shoot!

very nice, I'm partial to the Alleghany class over the Big Boy but there is no denying this is a great piece of work you've created. and the inclusion of lights on it just takes the show level up another notch. well done!

I'm curious what is the smallest radius that thing will go around? those 104s are nice sweeping curves compared to standard Lego corners.

Nice work. There seem to be a lot of well built Big Boy locomotives pulling freight around here lately.

What's this, the third Big Boy in a month? :laugh:

No matter, it's a wonderful rendition of an iconic locomotive! Well done!

An excellent rendition of the big boy! The R104 curves were made for engines like this. There is a lot of great detail in the build, you should definitely take some detail shots (on its own the cab looks like it has a lot going on inside).

Here's the video from this weekend.  I will say the Big Boy handled the R88 Curves just fine :)  We did not really test anything other than the R104 and R88s, though you'll note the R72 and R56s are in the video.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM, pirzyk said:

Here's the video from this weekend.  I will say the Big Boy handled the R88 Curves just fine :)  We did not really test anything other than the R104 and R88s, though you'll note the R72 and R56s are in the video.

Thanks Pirzy! Thanks for so delicately pointing out the she still needs a wee bit of adjusting! :-D but seriously, the video is awesome! Thank you so much for posting this! 

I designed this to run on R40 standard Lego curved track. However, it still needs a little adjusting. I will have to move the tender back by half a stud and the front wheel forward half a stud too. I thought I would see if only putting traction tyres on one side so that it does not slow down in the curves but I think it will be better to have tyres on both sides now. Other than that... Once I get settled in to my new place I should be able to take some proper photos.

I started playing around at home with a couple switches, and I think the issue we were having was because the wheelsets in the tender can individually pivot.  The Lego gauge is sloppy enough that the wheels were turning at odd angles when leading.  I think if you link the first two and back 3 (with maybe the middle of the 3 able to slide laterally), that will solve the issue we were having.

There is just something so mesmerizing about mallet style steam engines. Congratulations on a highly detailed and well running creation. Also, kudo's to the NILTC on a fine looking layout. You guys have a lot of talented members!   Any consideration on selling your LDD files? I'd be happy to pay for a set.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM, GallardoLU said:

very nice, I'm partial to the Alleghany class over the Big Boy but there is no denying this is a great piece of work you've created. and the inclusion of lights on it just takes the show level up another notch. well done!

I'm curious what is the smallest radius that thing will go around? those 104s are nice sweeping curves compared to standard Lego corners.

I designed this for R40's. However, it still needs some adjustments. Once I can get those done, I will post a video of it going through the standard Lego curves.

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:07 AM, ecmo47 said:

There is just something so mesmerizing about mallet style steam engines. Congratulations on a highly detailed and well running creation. Also, kudo's to the NILTC on a fine looking layout. You guys have a lot of talented members!   Any consideration on selling your LDD files? I'd be happy to pay for a set.

I am open to that...and have some of my other locomotives for sale on Bricklink. This Big Boy uses quite a few rare parts/colors so I am more reluctant to share because of the cost associated with that. I will also have to update my file with the above mentioned adjustments.

Another great Big Boy Model. Very well done! :thumbup::thumbup:
I'm looking forward to some more detail photos once you have moved to your new residence.

On 3/15/2017 at 6:53 PM, ALCO said:

Hello! I have been a member for a while and first jumped into Eurobricks with a tread about my Rise from the Dark Ages full of all the things I had be building in LDD. Now I present to you, the locomotive that started my whole enlightenment in the first place. The Union Pacific 4000 class. I chose to number mine after 4017 which is on display in Green Bay, Wisconsin since that is the one I have gone to see. If you poke around my Flickr long enough you might be able to find some earlier versions than the one you see in the photos below. I'm sorry I do not have professional photos this engine made its debut at the last NILTC show this past weekend. They were gracious enough to let me join them. I know some of them took a whole lot more photos and videos than I but here are a few that I have. Coaster was there and it was a real treat to see this run through his custom R104 double cross-over. For some interesting notes: The version in brick is 8.4. That is I have almost completely rebuilt this 8 times in LDD and have made 4 minor revisions. This engine has 2 XL motors in the boiler and is geared to the same as the Emerald Night. BrickStuff lighting gear lights up the head light, the front marker lights, the cab, and the rear red light on the back of the tender. I do plan to do a proper photo-shoot but I am moving soon so it will not take place until some time this summer. In the mean time...enjoy!! I would love to hear all comments and critiques.

33388284846_f1bc7b623a_k.jpg

33388285766_effa22382c_k.jpg

This next is not very good, but it handles curves just fine.

33388286446_b2b8cebac1_k.jpg

32587097194_3bd6aebb90_k.jpg

32587097664_3b368949a3_k.jpg

32587097954_0f89b1fe46_k.jpg

32587098364_425d169135_h.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have any videos yet...but I have one and will post it later. I hope you enjoy and I will update once I have had time for a proper photo-shoot!

ALCO, hi! Maybe you remember me from Geneva? I asked you how well it took the curves. I also asked what motors you used. Two XL motors, am I right? LOL. Hope to see you around!

LMF

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Tenderlok said:

Another great Big Boy Model. Very well done! :thumbup::thumbup:
I'm looking forward to some more detail photos once you have moved to your new residence.

Thank you! I should have some this summer.

13 hours ago, Bricksonwheels said:

Good work, and nice you fitted Robs lights as well.

Thank you sir! I'm quite pleased how the lights turned out as well!

3 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

ALCO, hi! Maybe you remember me from Geneva? I asked you how well it took the curves. I also asked what motors you used. Two XL motors, am I right? LOL. Hope to see you around!

LMF

You are correct! 2 XL motors. See you around!

Just now, ALCO said:

Thank you! I should have some this summer.

Thank you sir! I'm quite pleased how the lights turned out as well!

You are correct! 2 XL motors. See you around!

Tell me, will you be at cantigny? I know that's a while a away, but just curious.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

1 minute ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Tell me, will you be at cantigny? I know that's a while a away, but just curious.

In December? I will go, but I don't know if I will display anything yet. Most likely not because it's so close to the holidays.

Just now, ALCO said:

In December? I will go, but I don't know if I will display anything yet. Most likely not because it's so close to the holidays.

Great! See you there.

LMF

On 3/16/2017 at 6:14 PM, Kintobor said:

What's this, the third Big Boy in a month? :laugh:

No matter, it's a wonderful rendition of an iconic locomotive! Well done!

There's certainly a lot of Big Boy fever going on since Union Pacific started work on overhauling number 4014 (planned to be operational in 2019). Nevertheless, outstanding model! I would love it if Lego released an official set of this. I don't have the time or skills to build something like this on my own. Great work!

Outstanding work here, I love the attention to detail.  I really enjoy when Lego can look so much like the real thing!  I agree with 22kane, Lego really needs to step up their game.