M2m

MOC LDD BMW i8 - Speed Champions Style

Thanks for the nice feedback ! I edited the original post to include a link to the LDD file.

Would love to see it IRL. If you build it send some pictures :)

Fantastic MOC! I'm not a huge fan of that car but you captured it in such a small and difficult scale incredibly well. Extra praise for generously sharing the file. Great build. 

I love it. What about changing that white tile below the front of the door to blue? The hood needs black and that lower big in the center. 

What did you use for the blue kidney grille?

Edited by gotoAndLego

So, I built it with what parts I had, and I only have two complaints.

The first one is avoidable, with enough experience, and it is that some connections are weak. They lack parts that help strenghthen the parts. One section that is most affected is the front license plate mount, as the brackets that hold it aren't really attached to the plate beneath it.

The second complaint is not really a complaint, but a recommendation. If you are going to build it in full Speed Champions style, the car shouldn't have seats, nor opening doors.

Otherwise, it is built like a Speed Champions set, and has the looks of one too.

3 hours ago, letsbuild said:

So, I built it with what parts I had, and I only have two complaints.

The first one is avoidable, with enough experience, and it is that some connections are weak. They lack parts that help strenghthen the parts. One section that is most affected is the front license plate mount, as the brackets that hold it aren't really attached to the plate beneath it.

The second complaint is not really a complaint, but a recommendation. If you are going to build it in full Speed Champions style, the car shouldn't have seats, nor opening doors.

Otherwise, it is built like a Speed Champions set, and has the looks of one too.

Thanks for taking the time to build and coming back with feedback. Concerning weak connections... yeah its always tricky when you build virtual with LDD and don't have the physical parts to validate. I updated the whole front (among other changes) and hope its a little sturdier. How about the roof ? I had some doubts if the roof would hold tight agains the chassis.

b67a29a346.jpg

I also added Speed Champions style doors (left one) and removed the seat in the LDD file - which I also attach: http://bricksafe.com/files/m2m/BMW_i8_02.lxf

I welcome any feedback

Edited by M2m

9 minutes ago, M2m said:

Thanks for taking the time to build and coming back with feedback. Concerning weak connections... yeah its always tricky when you build virtual with LDD and don't have the physical parts to validate. I updated the whole front (among other changes) and hope its a little sturdier. How about the roof ? I had some doubts if the roof would hold tight agains the chassis.

I also added Speed Champions style doors (left one) and removed the seat in the LDD file - which I also attach: http://bricksafe.com/files/m2m/BMW_i8_02.lxf

I welcome any feedback

It looks a lot better now, but if you could lower the hood by one plate it would look much better.

Some pieces you have chosen do not exist in such colours, so the next thing I recommend doing is making it 100% buildable.

4 hours ago, letsbuild said:

It looks a lot better now, but if you could lower the hood by one plate it would look much better.

Some pieces you have chosen do not exist in such colours, so the next thing I recommend doing is making it 100% buildable.

Let me check how to lower the hood, but it maybe difficult. Maybe I have to lower the air scoops too in order to accomplish. 

Regarding color: except for the air scoops (15547) which aren't available in blue unfortunately are there any other illegal colors. And would their be a tool to check a LDD file for this ? Thanks again !

16 hours ago, StangMan302 said:

nice car i built a car custom moc on bricksafe here

Hi. Please don't hijack topics, by posting links to your own MOCs. Thanks.

5 hours ago, M2m said:

Regarding color: except for the air scoops (15547) which aren't available in blue unfortunately are there any other illegal colors. And would their be a tool to check a LDD file for this ? Thanks again !

Well, the only ones I have noticed so far are the 1x2 trans-black slope preceding the main windshield, and the second is the bottom plate that makes up the main structure of the car base, as it does not exist in blue, nor white. Just change it to black and it'll be fine.

Regarding your other question, I do not know if there is a tool for that. I think you have to check each part on bricklink, or rebrickable to see if it exist in such a colour.

If your model is impossible with the current colour pallette, I recommend seeing if there's another colour scheme that could work.

17 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Well, the only ones I have noticed so far are the 1x2 trans-black slope preceding the main windshield, and the second is the bottom plate that makes up the main structure of the car base, as it does not exist in blue, nor white. Just change it to black and it'll be fine.

Regarding your other question, I do not know if there is a tool for that. I think you have to check each part on bricklink, or rebrickable to see if it exist in such a colour.

If your model is impossible with the current colour pallette, I recommend seeing if there's another colour scheme that could work.

I am not so familiar with brickset.com, so not sure how reliable they are  but they list the baseplate as white and blue among other colors:

http://brickset.com/parts/design-30029

Edited by M2m

7 hours ago, M2m said:

I am not so familiar with brickset.com, so not sure how reliable they are  but they list the baseplate as white and blue among other colors:

http://brickset.com/parts/design-30029

Well, I'm not a fan of the way Brickset's page is set up, so I don't use it very often. I much prefer bricklink, because you can choose the piece, and it will tell you what sets had it in which colour.

I just checked, and it does come in those colours. I didn't know it was such an old piece. Sorry. But keep checking other pieces to be sure.

On another note, it's been Frontpaged! Congratulations!

The car is way too thick. Especially the hood. It is striking on the 2nd photo you posted.

You need to get ride of something in the front (slope 2x1 curved or plate 2x6 with round corner), in order to lower the hood.

Get ride of half stud offsets too so as to have something as streamlined as possible.

9 hours ago, Anio said:

The car is way too thick. Especially the hood. It is striking on the 2nd photo you posted.

You need to get ride of something in the front (slope 2x1 curved or plate 2x6 with round corner), in order to lower the hood.

Get ride of half stud offsets too so as to have something as streamlined as possible.

Thanks for your opinion. I will have a look on how to lower. Getting rid of the half studs would definitely do something. But I had it without before and I felt it look to 'fatty' :-)