Sign in to follow this  
LEGOshibainu

Where does the Copper Akaku come from?

On bricklink I've discovered the Akaku mask in copper, but there is no information about what set it came in, does anyone know where it is from?

150px-Set_Copper_Masks_of_Victory.png
Copper Masks in set form

Copper Masks of Victory were released to BIONICLE fans in special promotional events in 2001. These events were held at LEGOLAND parks as well as certain retail stores. Originally, Copper Huna were meant to be exchanged for a coupon which was located at the bottom of a promotional Toys "R" Us Kanohi-themed poster. However, they were instead given out to anyone who purchased a BIONICLE set. Huna were also given away as prizes at a Toys "R" Us promotion which featured two contestants using the Manas' remote control function to duel one another.

In Germany, one Kanohi was included in Nestlé cereal packs for a certain time, and there was a slim chance at receiving a Copper Huna. The pack also featured information concerning the Copper Huna itself, although not corresponding to canon, since the mask was said to be several times more powerful than other Kanohi and had disappeared for a long time. 

In 2003, Blockbuster Video offered Toa Nuva sets with copper Huna included with them as part of a promotion for Mask of Light.

The Akaku komau was a European release if I remember right. The copper Huna was released in the US and Europe as a promotional item. My grandparents got me a pair of the Copper Huna. They are a cool collectible, and look great with the Golden and Silver masks that came out in 2002.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Isn't that a komau? Akaku was kopaka's mask with the eyepiece. Either way, its one of the only masks missing from my collection due to the painfully high price, even 5 years ago I couldn't find one for less than 40

Akaku? Kopaka's mask, the one with the big eyepiece? Are you sure it wasn't one of the masks Lordoflego posted? Or maybe you're mixing up copper with the reddish/bronze gold that they used for the 2002 Gold Masks, that colour does confuse a lot of people:

s-l225.jpg

The only other possibility is that you've seen a custom fanmade paint job. The Huna and the Komau were the only Masks that were ever released in copper.

7 hours ago, Shakar said:

Akaku? Kopaka's mask, the one with the big eyepiece? Are you sure it wasn't one of the masks Lordoflego posted? Or maybe you're mixing up copper with the reddish/bronze gold that they used for the 2002 Gold Masks, that colour does confuse a lot of people:

s-l225.jpg

The only other possibility is that you've seen a custom fanmade paint job. The Huna and the Komau were the only Masks that were ever released in copper.

I'm willing to bet that any copper Akaku listed on BrickLink is actually this gold mask. BrickLink has no name for this gold mask color (which is officially called Yellow Flip/Flop), nor any inventory for the mask packs that contained it to steer people towards using a particular name. Plus, BrickLink's "copper" has become a catch-all term for any vaguely copper-ish color, whether or not it resembles other colors referred to by that name.