David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

Even though the next non-licensed Pirates theme is 2-3 years away at minimum, it's still possible to speculate on how the new parts, innovations and building styles of today might affect the future of the theme. With the reviews for POTC Silent Mary just coming out, I thought that would be a good place to start.

Weaponry: The previous POTC sets all had the classic brown guns and rifles, but the guns in Silent Mary are all pearl dark grey (or something similar). It could just be a new look specifically for Silent Mary and/or any future POTC sets, but it's possible that, after 28 years, grey guns are going to be the new normal.

Headgear: The 2015 Soldiers didn't have tricorns, but the ghost soldiers on the Silent Mary did, so I think it's entirely possible we will see tricorns on the soldiers again in the future. Also, I don't see why we wouldn't see the balding bandanna look from the Scallywag Pirate used again, maybe in other traditional bandanna colours like white, blue and green.

interesting thoughts here. I support all of these and will gladly be wanting more of these parts in the future. You also forgot to mention the new black cutlass's released in the silent mary. I could see lego using them for the pirates and having the traditional grey ones for the "good guys". We do know that the next pirate line will be released in 2019 being the 30th anniversary in all so I could see maybe the new corner round smooth tile pieces in more sets, such as in banisters as used in the silent mary.  

As Azog mentioned, the 30th Anniversary in 2019 seems the most likely time for more Pirates sets. I would expect it to be one large D2C set if it happens. If The Silent Mary (2017 POTC5 ship) sells well, then i expect we could see a full line-up of Pirates sets in the future. POTC6 (If it happens) may be accompanied by a set also so there's that, fans have been clamoring after The Flying Dutchman for a while.

I watched this video (and even got mentioned in it because I gave them a donation) and at 3:18:40 they are making the sails and he uses a "new piece that he's never seen before" that becomes part of the mast. I can't make it out in the video (it's small and black) but I wonder if it's a new piece specifically designed for the construction of ship masts? I haven't been able to find a good picture of this new piece anywhere.

If they stick with the grey guns it would make sense to continue to give black swords to the pirates, because if the guns and the swords are all grey, it might look somewhat dull. I think grey guns and black swords would have to be given to very 'dark' pirates though, compared to the colourful pirates we normally get. But we've had dark themes like Monster Hunters before, so maybe 'dark' pirates could be a thing.

I also wonder if these ragged sails could be used for a shipwreck set of some kind. I doubt they'd use it on another pirate ship, it would take the specialness away from this one.

Edited by David Thomsen

The next pirate line will probably have redcoats again

Also, if it is released as a celebration for the 30th Anniversary, then I'd expect updated versions of the most iconic Pirates sets, like Eldorado Fortress or Enchanted Island

(Also, I hope they won't use the new bandana introduced in the 2015 line because it's awful)

Edited by Robert8

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The next pirate line will probably have redcoats again

Also, if it is released as a celebration for the 30th Anniversary, then I'd expect updated versions of the most iconic Pirates sets, like Eldorado Fortress or Enchanted Island

I think instead of redcoats they might do bluecoats again. If they are in fact celebrating 30 years and maybe rehashing Eldorado fortress. It would make more since for them to do the bluecoats again. 

Also in that build in video he describes that the sails were made of a similar material as batman's cape which is the new style of capes. We might be seeing lego no longer use the paper sails and do a nice soft cloth like material instead. 

I would also expect them to make a big pirate ship to celebrate the anniversary with. But instead of a bluecoat ship they might make a big pirate ship which most of us have ben wanting for a long time. If they unfavorable do this I would not be surprised if they make a gun deck with the normal cannons but use the cannon build on the silent mary for a top deck design. I could honestly see it and I debate putting that cannon build on the top deck of my flagship. 

9 hours ago, David Thomsen said:

I watched this video (and even got mentioned in it because I gave them a donation) and at 3:18:40 they are making the sails and he uses a "new piece that he's never seen before" that becomes part of the mast. I can't make it out in the video (it's small and black) but I wonder if it's a new piece specifically designed for the construction of ship masts? I haven't been able to find a good picture of this new piece anywhere.

It looks to be this part, which was introduced last year.

I hope the next pirates will have tricorns for the soldiers and not those stupid tschakos, but I don't know how you argue that in normal pirates they will have those because in they are in a POTC set. They also had tricorns in the first wave of POTC and we saw soldiers witch tschakos after that.
Concerning guns I really wish that TLC would finally give them a new design. I mean we got new better looking swords,spears and bows but are still stuck with a 30 year old design for the guns. I don't say that the old ones should be completly abandoned but still be the main weapon for the pirates, but the soldiers could really use something that would look more like a musket and not a thunderbluss. (If we are at it some rapier like wepaon would be nice to xD)

Edited by mon-o-mat

Lego has made what it calls a rapier, it is more of fencing foil. There are a few parts from the Sky Pirates Ninjago sets that will no doubt be part of a more classic Pirates line in time.

5 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Lego has made what it calls a rapier, it is more of fencing foil. There are a few parts from the Sky Pirates Ninjago sets that will no doubt be part of a more classic Pirates line in time.

Which parts do you mean? And was the rapier used besides for the collectable minifif musketeer?

1 hour ago, Barmaley said:

A new wave of set pirates should be Armada very long time they were not released

I would love to see the Armada again! I might be a tad biased because the fact that the Armada Flagship was my first lego ship I got. But your right it is a tad overdue since we got them.

2 hours ago, azog said:

I would love to see the Armada again! I might be a tad biased because the fact that the Armada Flagship was my first lego ship I got. But your right it is a tad overdue since we got them.

Armada would be good, just like Islander to get away from that boring image the last two waves had.

On 15.3.2017 at 0:30 AM, gedren_y said:

The foil is in 15 sets. There's the tassel, skull sword hilt, and serrated cutlass.

I somehow forgott that the foil was in multiple sets, while I actually have the spider-droid with it as antenna standing next to me while writing xD. But the conquistator shows how bad it would fit into the pirate-theme. It looks so damn harmless. But I don't really know how you could give it more impact within the limits lego-pieces have to have today. 

15 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

I somehow forgott that the foil was in multiple sets, while I actually have the spider-droid with it as antenna standing next to me while writing xD. But the conquistator shows how bad it would fit into the pirate-theme. It looks so damn harmless. But I don't really know how you could give it more impact within the limits lego-pieces have to have today. 

That is why I use the Brickarms rapier. I have it in a number of colors.

I would like to see Armada in next years, but for 30th anniversary they better go with pirates. It would be nice to see some large legendary sets like Skull's Eye Schooner, Eldorado Fort, Trading post or Enchanted island.

I'm not too sure on these ideas..... I mean don't get me wrong I would love to see a new wave but... Judging on the way the last wave was received I don't think we'll be seeing one anytime soon.

4 hours ago, chofus said:

I would like to see Armada in next years, but for 30th anniversary they better go with pirates. It would be nice to see some large legendary sets like Skull's Eye Schooner, Eldorado Fort, Trading post or Enchanted island.

For todays standard both Eldorado Fort and Imperial Trading post are tiny sets and won't sell as something legendary. Besides that those Baseplate aren't used anymore.

I'd like to see some smaller ships...one of the things the clone brands have done pretty well (in concept if not in execution) is to either adapt LEGO's old small boat designs or come up with new ones for really nice looking little pirate ships.

It would also be nice to see some more variety among the pirate crew with hats--tricorns and bicorns in more colors, bandannas in more than two colors per wave, using Barbossa's hat, Blackbeard's hat, the recent CMF pirate bald head, etc. It would also be nice to have more pirates in green coats and some pirates wearing red.

I'd love to see the return of gold coins, obviously, and it would be amazing if the Ninjago palm tree from the Tiger Widow Island set were used; it's way better than any of the palms we've seen recently and the most realistic.

TC

Any big ships would be welcomed: something bigger than the Imperial Flagship, 2500 pieces, two row of 12 pounders on the hull and another one on deck. Kind of a Hunter class war ship. 

They could go spanish this time instead of red coats too.

I really wouldn't mind paying 300$ upwards for something like this. 

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, CaptainJackBrickster said:

I'm not too sure on these ideas..... I mean don't get me wrong I would love to see a new wave but... Judging on the way the last wave was received I don't think we'll be seeing one anytime soon.

You mean the wave that sold out its run completely and never had a chance to hit the bargain bin? I'm pretty sure Lego felt the 2015 line was successful given they didn't exactly invest a lot of resources into it and it was a fairly limited release.

On 24/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, RetroInferno said:

Any big ships would be welcomed: something bigger than the Imperial Flagship, 2500 pieces, two row of 12 pounders on the hull and another one on deck. Kind of a Hunter class war ship. 

They could go spanish this time instead of red coats too.

I really wouldn't mind paying 300$ upwards for something like this. 

They did something similar and you can buy it now in their shop :laugh:

I really don't want to see such a big vessel like they did the IFS...

9 hours ago, Arctic_Ace said:

I would like to see the Bluecoats have another ship, maybe a ship the size of the Black Seas Barracuda. They have only had the Caribbean Clipper,

The Carribean Clipper is all those bluecoats deserve.

Puny Oleonanders...

Personally, I hope they revive the Armada and natives first before doing another round of bluecoats and redcoats.

TBH, I really don't see why there is not a contineous Pirate theme just like Playmobil has.... I think you can buy 5 different Playmobil Pirate vessels in a toy shop right now...

Edited by Maxim I

I had sort of intended this topic as 'speculation of future sets based on current developments' and it seems to have turned into a general Pirates wishlist theme, which is still cool because there hasn't been enough of that lately :pir-grin:

Anyway I'm just looking at some of the new images of 'Summer' sets (Winter in my case) and I noticed a couple of things...

There's a new Machete piece in the City Jungle sets. ('City Jungle'?). I'm almost certain this will be in future Pirate sets, as a Pirate substitute for the old cutlass. It's much better than the weird tooth piece they gave to the pirate dwarf guy in the Imperial Flagship.

Also a couple of set have a giant venus flytrap, which I think would go really well in an Islander set.

Actually, now that I think about, these City Jungle sets would pretty great for Islanders, if you take away all the modern vehicles...

As far as new pieces that would be great for Pirates, I agree that the new Machete piece and the bandana / bald piece are both fantastic contenders.  I think they would be foolish not to incorporate both into the next Pirates wave.

As far as the City Jungle sets being great for the Islander theme, I definitely agree.  Aside from minifigures and vehicles, these sets speak to the Islander aesthetic.  There are also new leopard and black panther animals in these sets, which, in addition to the Venus Flytrap, would really be fitting in the Islander theme.  Beyond that, let's not forget the CMF Aztec Warrior and Island Warrior, both of which have great parts for use in an Islander theme.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I really want to see the next Pirates wave revolve around Pirates and Islanders.  That was such a great era for the Pirates theme, and they could do so much more with it today.