TheBeeze

Great Brick War General Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Thebeeze111 said:

Okay, so you raise a good question. @Spud The Viking reached out to me prior to his build with the plane and asked the best way to approach it. I advised him what I thought would be acceptable- to either foreshadow the plane or have it in the background or something so that it would not be the primary focus. Given that the plane wound up being the primary focus of the build, it will hurt his score a bit. At the same time, aerial operations are what need to be unlocked. So showing the plane sitting on the runway is not really an aerial mission. 

So this is a kind of grey area. It borders on the fringe of legality just like @BoBKiD's tank does. 

I'd like to clarify some things about my "tank" build and the "armor" rule, since I had no intention of taking advantage of anything.
The rules clearly state that we can't use certain items (e.g. armor) in our MOCs unless we unlock them. What I understood from this was that we can't build a MOC that shows any actual combat or tank/armor forces movement but we could create a MOC about building or testing an armored vehicle, which could not be used unless I had unlocked the ability to use it. Hense the non-combat-experimental-broken tank I created, which is actually a modified APC. 

I could say the same for my other MOC "The Power of the People", which shows recruitment, the build up of the army but not the actualy forces or the army fighting or anything similar.

In any case, I'd like to say I am sorry if I caused any problems as it's completely my own misanderstanding of the rules.

Edited by BoBKiD

Whether or not you should have built armour or not, I think it was a close call personally but your story telling helped a lot there, I don't think anyone would say that you'd done it to try to gain an unfair advantage. 

These are the sort of things that happen when something is new and still being developed, don't worry. I'm looming forward to seeing more of these builds in the future, although obviously I will be then trying to blow them up! ;)

35 minutes ago, BoBKiD said:

In any case, I'd like to say I am sorry if I caused any problems as it's completely my own misanderstanding of the rules.

No problems at all. That is why this was posted here for the player base to see; so we can avoid any mishaps in the future. 

My sabotage mission has brought up questions. Again, I ask that all questions be posted here. If you're worried about OPSEC (Operational Security) then don't name names in your question.

So to the point, no you cannot have sabotage missions with agents of your country carrying out attacks. The builds are limited to rebels, freedom fighters, underground resistance etc. No foreign agents. If you wanna funnel them money or guns, knock yourself out. But that shouldn't be in a sabotage build, you should show that through other types of builds. 

Edited by Thebeeze111

I have two suggestions to avoid doubts.

1. concerning secret agents carrying out missions in a foreign country, sabotage missions forbid this, but:

-could these missions be considered as supporting the war effort? If not...

-could they be considered as special ops? 

-If all the above mentioned options don't suit, is it possible to create a new side mission called "espionage" (example) with a minimum level to be unlocked?

2. Concerning  the unlock of several weapons. As far as I understand from the previous posts, I can show an introduction of a weapon even if I didn't unlock it. For example (assuming I have unlocked armor and my next level is naval Ops), could I make a build depicting the construction of a boat? 

Thanks.

I don't think you could call it "supporting the war effort" according to the current description and tbh that seems to be trying to get around the constraints of the side builds - Spec Ops is only unlocked around level 70 so I don't think we have much chance of seeing these types of build for a bit.  TheBeeze111 showed, in his build, that it is in the way you tell the story.  I had half built a sabotage build, it was going to be my citizens as some sort of "cell" in another country causing trouble but clearly that isn't right so I can either change the story to make them citizens of that country that might have support from a foreign power (I said might!) or do something else.

My only complaint is that then you are writing the history or local politics of somebody else's country but to be honest I will just ignore it if I don't think it fits and keep building regardless! There are going to be things like this that crop up and I guess the builders have a choice of whether they go with it or ignore it..

7 hours ago, sigpro said:

I have two suggestions to avoid doubts.

1. create a new side mission called "espionage" (example) with a minimum level to be unlocked? 

There are are ways with the current side missions where you could show these things. Be creative and think outside the box.

Special Ops missions are assigned by the staff (similar to FRAGOs) when players hit the necessary rank and this is not what they are. 

7 hours ago, sigpro said:

2. Concerning  the unlock of several weapons. As far as I understand from the previous posts, I can show an introduction of a weapon even if I didn't unlock it. For example (assuming I have unlocked armor and my next level is naval Ops), could I make a build depicting the construction of a boat? 

I would like people to avoid jumping ahead of rank as much as possible. With your specific example, showing a boat being built is walking along a fine line. Your focus should be on other aspects that you have already ranked up to. Foreshadowing and previews are okay as long as it is not the primary focus. If you go off track, your score will reflect that. 

15 minutes ago, Phadeout said:

My only complaint is that then you are writing the history or local politics of somebody else's country

This is an interesting point. Perhaps we can find some middle ground to smooth this out. Let me think about this a bit. Thank you. 

Ok, thanks for your answers to both questions. 

About the first one, it seems clear that the proposal would fit in a category (let´s see which of them).

About the second one, it´s clearer now; as long as the main focus of the build is something different from the technology that is to be unlocked, it will be ok.

Let´s keep on building and proposing.

So it looks like the RON has edged out the COAC in CP1 and have elected to defend. Campaign 2 will be coming soon. Congratulations to everyone on some solid work.

A note from a staff member on scoring:
"As this is the first major build of the campaign, I wanted everyone to kinda have an idea of what we are looking for in the builds.  That's why I tried to leave some comments for everyone.  My intention is not to piss anyone off, I just want to try to push those builders to take it up another step."

Current Snapshot of where we stand with builds that have been scored. May be a point fluctuation or so because of rounding, we will round up. If anything looks crazy out of order, contact your teams corresponding staff member.
34127155692_fd13eff39b_z.jpg 

At what level are helicopter operations unlocked (both assault and transport)? Would that be considered part of areal operations? 

Hi, I want some clarification on Great brick War.

Is the game supposed to be more RPG or more fleshing out countries? Because like in SoNE I am telling a "story" using a group of named characters and guiding them on different adventures. However, I noticed some builders seemed to not be as focused on a certain group of characters as I am.

Would like a mod to clarify. Thanks in advance, and keep bricking everyone!

Campaign builds should include your SigFig Character. Sidebuilds can include, but do not need to have them involved. 

Edited by Thebeeze111

7 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Is the game supposed to be more RPG or more fleshing out countries? Because like in SoNE I am telling a "story" using a group of named characters and guiding them on different adventures. However, I noticed some builders seemed to not be as focused on a certain group of characters as I am.

Hi,

I am assuming we can develop our "story" like we want.

I am doing basically lik in BoBS or GOH by giving my character a point of interest and then launching him on a quest.

So, some side builds can be without my Sigfig, and others can be important for his story. Then I tend to adapt my narration on the main events of the game. That's why you saw my sigfig in my Campaign And in my FRAGO builds. But, for now, F.Al'Hadrin has not found a quest to follow... It will come, promised...

Generally, I am building a (very) long term story, so consider my first builds like a character presentation and an introduction. :laugh:

I hope it helped you !

22 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I think that building characters can help to tell better stories. I agree with @Faladrin as I am doing the same: building a (very) long term story, and many charachters so to be able to include known charachters in each side or campaign builds. I do it for myself as I enjoy this whole process

5 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

@Thebeeze111 You mentioned the additional GBW tag in the new campaign, but I have not received the first tag from participating Campaign 1. Is it still possible for me to receive that tag?

Yes, it is.  But please be aware, if you wanted the tag, all you had to do was say so in the Campaign 1 thread.  You never said you wanted it so I never gave it to you.

For those who were not involved, you missed out on a short fun build with FRAGO #001. Don't worry, there will be more in the future. 

So we had to break down the scores to the decimal to determine the winners.

2nd place goes to @BoBKiD Nice Work! You've earned  the one time ability to use paradrop for your Campaign (2) Build. Be sure to work with your team on the best way to implement this into your overall strategy. 

and 1st place goes to @Faladrin. Truly a great build for such a short time! You've earned (1) SPEC OPS Mission you can complete before Campaign (2) Ends. PM thebeeze111 for a custom tailored mission assignment if you would like to use this. If this is not redeemed before the end of Campaign 2, you will lose it.  

You both found a drone, that you can work into a story somehow.

Thanks to everyone who jumped on this!

That's great !

Thank you very much and congratulations to all the FRAGO participants ! :laugh:

Now I have to figure out what to do with that drone... :tongue:

Customization is highly recommended. Does this include the use of a small piece (2 cms x 4 cms for example) of a camouflage net to help in the concealment of a vehicle, a sniper or an observer? 

Thanks.

I would try to refrain from using non-lego related items in your build (does not reference 3rd party company Lego accessories). You could always build a camo with Lego net pieces and different foliage.