Brikkyy13

What would be considered a "large" LEGO collection?

Whenever people see my collection they always comment on how large it is (even though I'll usually only have about 5% on display at any time due to space) and I'll usually correct them by saying that it's small compared to some people's. I have (as of right now) 466 sets and including lose pieces approximately 120,000 parts. I'd consider my collection to be small. I was just wondering what other people would consider to be a "large" collection?

54 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Whenever people see my collection they always comment on how large it is (even though I'll usually only have about 5% on display at any time due to space) and I'll usually correct them by saying that it's small compared to some people's. I have (as of right now) 466 sets and including lose pieces approximately 120,000 parts. I'd consider my collection to be small. I was just wondering what other people would consider to be a "large" collection?

Dude. I have like, 20 sets and 15000 loose parts and I consider that big! Your collection is BEHEMOTH compared to mine but you still think it's small?!

Edited by BrickByBrick Official

I consider my collection on the smaller side compared to some of the members in my LUG. I have close to 400k parts and countless sets. Takes up half my basement. So its hard to tell what a small collection is. Depends on what you're comparing it to.

There will always be a person who has more anyway (stating it's average in size) :wink:

5 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I think something may be off.  Rebrickable says I have 116 sets that are 105,000 parts and it is way out of date. With some 466 sets I believe you must have closer to 400, 000 parts from sets.

In order to not let people form an opinion on the size of my collection, I keep it well stored out of sight.

Note to self: Quit looking at Rebrickable, quit buying so much LEGO. (not gonna happen, but I have slowed down)

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

According to Brickset:

I have 509 sets, 476 different at 205,142 pieces. My collection ranks 4684 out of 159,327 members. I'd say you have a large collection. But it really depends on what or who you comparing. 

Edited by Vindicare

Your collection is considered large when your spouse or signifiicant other says you have enough LEGO, no more...  :wink:

My collection is showing as 552 sets (but I know brickset is augmented high due to Collectable minifigures being "sets") and around 120k pieces. given that most of my sets are on the small side I always thought of mine as small too. however using the 2008 number of 62 bricks person world wide, I own ~2000 peoples worth of bricks....

5 hours ago, Andy D said:

I think something may be off.  Rebrickable says I have 116 sets that are 105,000 parts and it is way out of date. With some 466 sets I believe you must have closer to 400, 000 parts from sets.

That assumes I have fairly large sets, when I don't. I only have maybe 20 sets with over 1000 pieces. Also, I have a few CMFs as well and brickset considers those sets (I do too but I know some people wouldn't).

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like the consensus is it depends on on what you're comparing it too. I'd say just in general to other people. What I'm gathering is maybe less than 100 sets is small, 100-500 is average and 500 and above is large?

I compare to my past.

So, when I started my sorting task two years ago, I had four 40 litre boxes full of LEGO. When I was a child, I had less than 40 litres of LEGO and about fifty mixed figures.

I like to say I have a big collection now (I stopped counting minifigures a long time ago). Plus, in the last two years I think I must have added about 25%. It isn't a problem, but it is large!

According to the most recent numbers I could find, every person on earth owns, on average, 86 LEGO bricks. If you have more than that, you have a larger-than-average collection.

3 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

According to the most recent numbers I could find, every person on earth owns, on average, 86 LEGO bricks. If you have more than that, you have a larger-than-average collection.

Considering the fact that most sets have more pieces than that, you could have a larger than average collection with only one set.

I only have about four or five sets. Although I do have about 750000 parts. I'm not one for keeping sets as sets.

I have about 350.000 pieces in  about 600 sets (most are not assembled) an maybe 100.000 bricks from bricklink ad bulk orders. I consider my collection as "medium". It's big for your country, bit I dont imagine that I could complete with guys from countries with longer AFOL tradition.

12 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

That is not a useful number. You don't determine the average size of collection by taken how many items exist and dividing by the population of world. You want to know the average collection size of people who collect or at least have some items. Brickset or rebrickable are probably your best stats for that. They are obvious more likely to have serious collectors than average consumers. Vindicare was in the top 5% with his collection. Given that Brikkyy13 has fairly similar size, I suspect he would still be in the top 10%. Anyone in the top 10 or maybe 20% seems like a large size to me.

21 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Your collection is considered large when your spouse or signifiicant other says you have enough LEGO, no more...  :wink:

I must have a very understanding spouse, because she only says that the LEGO must stay in my studio, and must not to encroach in her hobby room under penalty of... I don't want to find out what the penalty is, I just keep my LEGO in my studio.

As for collection size, according to Brickset with 186 sets that are 105,000  parts my ranking is 33,867 for sets and 8,450 for parts, so I guess my collection is small, but I am running out of space.  Although I do have quite a few sets that have not been entered into my Brickiest database. Must slow down.  but then last night I bought the 10255 Assembly Square (4002 parts).

What to do, what to do...

Andy D

On 3/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, dr_spock said:

What about when the spouse has an even larger collection that you.  :devil:

Well according to my brickset account, which is not super accurate, I have 94 sets, but I never finished adding them, so Its probably more like 120.

I am not that big on actual sets but have  hundreds of lbs of "parts" for moc ing/partial sets/ extra parts that don't really go to anything specific. I don't really have a way to know piece count.

I am quite shocked by some of the numbers I'm seeing here, wowzers/jealous.

Personally, I still view a "large" collection as I would have as a kid, if I was a 10  year old kid and I went to someones house, what would my impression be? By that metric anything around 50lbs and up would be "large" to me.  I still think my collection is "big" because I'm not comparing it to the other hobbyists really, I guess. It feels big to me and thats what matters. I have the sets I want and I can pull parts to finish things with ease, which is whats important to me. To each their own.

Edited by Criosphynx

12 hours ago, Criosphynx said:

Well according to my brickset account, which is not super accurate, I have 94 sets, but I never finished adding them, so Its probably more like 120.

I am not that big on actual sets but have  hundreds of lbs of "parts" for moc ing/partial sets/ extra parts that don't really go to anything specific. I don't really have a way to know piece count.

--SNIP--

I still track all sets in Brickset even though many get reused for their parts, the list from BS gets synced to Rebrickable which allows me to keep track on the existing parts to avoid searching for nonexistant parts

Thats a good idea, I've meant to do that, however I frequently buy "bulk" job lots of misc so I have no real way to keep track in those cases.

I've probably bought... I have no idea how to even guess. I've never counted... 50? 100 sets? Probably between there somewhere. Maybe closer to 50. I'm not sure.

What I've discovered is that when it comes to building things you can never have too much. No matter how large my collection got I always found myself lacking certain pieces when I was building. I'd lack enough of them in a certain color or whatever. It happened 100% of the time and honestly constantly made me with Lego had a few FEWER pieces. XD

Right now I feel like my collection is not small. In fact it feels too large because I never have time to build anymore. I haven't for like almost 3 years now probably (I'm just counting custom Mocs). In fact I've been considering getting rid of much of my lego because I can't fit it in a London Flat, half the collection has been with my parents since I moved out, and again, I just never build anymore.

That said my Minifigure collection is too small. It can never be big enough and I'm never quitting that part or selling any. I had to pack them so I bought little baggies for each one. I kept buying 200 at a time and one minifigure would go in one baggie. I kept having to buy more baggies... Yet... it's NOT enough. 

It's just all perspective. That said 466 sets being "small" is crazy.

I have about a quarter of a million bricks, which is not that unusual. What is unusual is that I only have parts in old colours (black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, brown and the two old greys (and of course trans clear/yellow/red/green and blue)) as I have no use for modern colours at all

'Cept tan. I love tan :wub:

Cheers,

Ole

On 07/03/2017 at 9:28 PM, Brikkyy13 said:

I have (as of right now) 466 sets and including lose pieces 120,000 parts.

That's not small! That's HUGE!!!

And I thought my collection was big!

I only have approximately 100 sets (not including over 200 CMS minifigures), no idea how many parts but probably only 50,000-100,000.

Edited by mocbuild101

You know your collection is of large size especially if you have collected multiple themes and over a period of time like more than a decade without pause. Everyone's collection differ from one another and it really depends on what you like to compare with. There will always be someone more than you. Rather making a comparison, I could rather focusing on the collection you like and enjoy. I do that a lot and large part of my collection are still in mint boxes and I think a fair response could be to compare your open display collection which I felt is of appropriate measure.