Sign in to follow this  
jaapxaap

Freebuild: How to stop the Algus

Hey all!

For a while, I've want to build something for the frozen beyond, but I never made time for it. When I was building for a contest, with a mage-battle category, I decided it was time for a build for The Frozen Beyond.
For those that are wondering, no it doesn't have purple roofs, so this isnt located in Kyrrath. This build is located somewhere in the land in south of Kyrrath. The reason I didn't go for purple roofs(wanted to do so, at first) is that I didnt want to use black in my build, and I don't have enough purple wedges for all the roofs. So in the end I went for the blue-orange colorscheme, to make an unrealistic color-combination, although I didn't want it to look 'weird'.
In the end I'm quite pleased with the result, so now it's up to you to make your own opinion at my build :)

I didn't really make a story, but my build shows that the algus is still slowly spreading over the guilds... It has even reached one of the 'hottest' places, far into the nocturnus' lands... But although they come close to these places, the algus isn't strong enough to capture the house of the fire-mage... This far from the north, the power of the Algus isn't that big anymore, and the icemage gets blown away by the firespells, used by the fire-mage...

Here are the pictures:

The build itself:
32864109750_e263cce431_z.jpg

The fire-mage:
32403040144_6dda627950_z.jpg

The Algus-mage gets a 'warm welcome'.....
33118631541_74fe731c40_z.jpg

And here some other views at the house:
32864102910_4b4f9ebb35_z.jpg

32864104770_59e23b8bc8_z.jpg

33247096475_d58cc3fbe4_z.jpg

And finally a shot from above, that shows the different angles in the build quite nicely..
33247103015_fc5062f146_z.jpg

I hope you like my build, And feel free to share your opinion :)

Jaap

Wow, very nice! This is amazing. The color choices here work very well, with the dark blue, flame orange, and dark orange (on the tree) complementing beautifully. The white and light grey also complement the dark blue tonally, and the brown and light blue serve nicely to tie it all together. There are not too many other colors to clutter it up, which is nice. As for the build, where to start? The tree in the house is lovely, I love the roof, especially all of the angles you worked into it, and the stonework of the walls looks great, as the small 1x1 round tiles (and 1x1 plates in the walls) break up the 1x2 pattern just enough to keep it interesting. And that phoenix is also superb! I have nothing bad to say about this, nothing to nitpick, just praise. Well done!

The dark blue roof on this looks just fabulous Jaapxaap, and the angles and curves are great!  The light blue landscape is very nice too!

Gorgeous build, Jaap! :wub: I love how everything has a sort of run down look, yet it's all still very clean. The color choices are phenomenal, and I think the light blue landscape turned out well.
Interesting base design too, having the build coming up out of the reddish brown looks surprisingly nice. :thumbup:

Oh wow, a truly wonderful build, there's so much to say about it! :wub: The colours all work well together, nicely complementing each other, and that fire bird is simply beautiful! I could go on but I'm sure you get the point, I love it! :grin: fantastic work!

Also good job incorporating your Tourney entry in the Guilds, good luck with the Tourney by the way :wink:

Awesome build Jaap! :wub: The fenix is just gorgeous (I had never thought these trans-orange pieces could be used for somehting decent :wink:)

I also have to say that you really perfectioned that roof-technique, I absolutely love it! The dark blue is such an amazing colours, and all subtle angles and the like make this real eye-candy! :thumbup: 

Really interesting design for the base. :thumbup:  Love the summoned firebird and of course the building is gorgeous.  Awesome MOC!

Great build love the texturing of the walls and the roof looks excellent.  The tree and the base are awesome. The fire creature is fantastic.  Great job.

Wow. This is amazing. I love that fire mage thing, and the pheonix. 

Brilliant build, I love the blue. Although in the tudor work maybe dk blue then light blue just to give it a little variation. Other than that the base/landscaping is awseome and I adore that Pheonix :wub: Congrats on being the 4000th topic in the goh forum, lucky timing :tongue:

Excellent build and excellent color choices, Jaapxaap!  The dark blue roofs are superb and go very well with the Tudor and stone-work, and the fiery touches on the house and that tree growing along the wall are fantastic as well! :wub:  The brown base goes neatly with the light blue landscaping too, and altogether this is an awesome build! 

On 6-3-2017 at 0:46 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Wow, very nice! This is amazing. The color choices here work very well, with the dark blue, flame orange, and dark orange (on the tree) complementing beautifully. The white and light grey also complement the dark blue tonally, and the brown and light blue serve nicely to tie it all together. There are not too many other colors to clutter it up, which is nice. As for the build, where to start? The tree in the house is lovely, I love the roof, especially all of the angles you worked into it, and the stonework of the walls looks great, as the small 1x1 round tiles (and 1x1 plates in the walls) break up the 1x2 pattern just enough to keep it interesting. And that phoenix is also superb! I have nothing bad to say about this, nothing to nitpick, just praise. Well done!

Thanks man!

On 6-3-2017 at 6:47 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

+1 This is a beautiful build, all of it is just incredible... :wub:

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

The dark blue roof on this looks just fabulous Jaapxaap, and the angles and curves are great!  The light blue landscape is very nice too!

I'm glad you like it!

22 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Gorgeous build, Jaap! :wub: I love how everything has a sort of run down look, yet it's all still very clean. The color choices are phenomenal, and I think the light blue landscape turned out well.
Interesting base design too, having the build coming up out of the reddish brown looks surprisingly nice. :thumbup:

Thanks for your lovely words!

22 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

Oh wow, a truly wonderful build, there's so much to say about it! :wub: The colours all work well together, nicely complementing each other, and that fire bird is simply beautiful! I could go on but I'm sure you get the point, I love it! :grin: fantastic work!

Also good job incorporating your Tourney entry in the Guilds, good luck with the Tourney by the way :wink:

Thanks man! I get the point :wink:

21 hours ago, TitusV said:

Awesome build Jaap! :wub: The fenix is just gorgeous (I had never thought these trans-orange pieces could be used for somehting decent :wink:)

I also have to say that you really perfectioned that roof-technique, I absolutely love it! The dark blue is such an amazing colours, and all subtle angles and the like make this real eye-candy! :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus! 

15 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Really interesting design for the base. :thumbup:  Love the summoned firebird and of course the building is gorgeous.  Awesome MOC!

Actually changed the base at the end.. I'm happy with how it turned out :)

15 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great build love the texturing of the walls and the roof looks excellent.  The tree and the base are awesome. The fire creature is fantastic.  Great job.

I'm happy you like it :)

13 hours ago, Windusky said:

Wow. This is amazing. I love that fire mage thing, and the pheonix. 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Brilliant build, I love the blue. Although in the tudor work maybe dk blue then light blue just to give it a little variation. Other than that the base/landscaping is awseome and I adore that Pheonix :wub: Congrats on being the 4000th topic in the goh forum, lucky timing :tongue:

Thanks man, the dblue in the tudor section could work, but I only have a few 1x2 plates and o 1x1 plates in dblue... unfortunately... 

Didn't notice it was the 4000th topic, but I hope I deserved it... 

4 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Excellent build and excellent color choices, Jaapxaap!  The dark blue roofs are superb and go very well with the Tudor and stone-work, and the fiery touches on the house and that tree growing along the wall are fantastic as well! :wub:  The brown base goes neatly with the light blue landscaping too, and altogether this is an awesome build! 

Thanks man! I'm happy you like it!

Wow that's amazing! I wish I will ever be able to do something as good...

This looks fantastic! The phoenix is especially cool and the color choices for the building and the base are superb!

15 hours ago, jakbar said:

Wow that's amazing! I wish I will ever be able to do something as good...

Thanks! Just keep building and you will get better at it :classic:

13 hours ago, peedeejay said:

This looks fantastic! The phoenix is especially cool and the color choices for the building and the base are superb!

Thanks man!

2 hours ago, narbilu said:

just stunning!

Thank you!

Very nice house, jaapxaap!

The different angles for the dark blue tiled roof are really amazing!  I love the color scheme used to contrast the fire with blue landscape and architecture.  All the wood details in the walls, windows, and doors give some nice character to the construction!  That phoenix is phenomenal!

Every time I look at it my eyes are drawn to the beautiful clean lines of the roofs and their tiles.

Those roof lines are pretty mind blowing :wub::wub: Splendid building layout, detailing, color, and everything else! Very unique color for a landscape, but it fits perfectly here :classic:

Wow, this is really incredible. I love the amount of bright colors in this build. I feel like castle builders usually feel like they have to use darker or grittier colors in their builds (I know I do) and it's very refreshing to see a bit of color in a castle build. :classic:

On 8-3-2017 at 3:18 PM, Slegengr said:

Very nice house, jaapxaap!

The different angles for the dark blue tiled roof are really amazing!  I love the color scheme used to contrast the fire with blue landscape and architecture.  All the wood details in the walls, windows, and doors give some nice character to the construction!  That phoenix is phenomenal!

Thank you!

On 8-3-2017 at 10:40 PM, Muakhah said:

Every time I look at it my eyes are drawn to the beautiful clean lines of the roofs and their tiles.

I'm how this technique of roofing looks.

On 11-3-2017 at 10:38 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Those roof lines are pretty mind blowing :wub::wub: Splendid building layout, detailing, color, and everything else! Very unique color for a landscape, but it fits perfectly here :classic:

Thanks man, I'm glad you like it!

17 hours ago, Dankyee said:

Wow, this is really incredible. I love the amount of bright colors in this build. I feel like castle builders usually feel like they have to use darker or grittier colors in their builds (I know I do) and it's very refreshing to see a bit of color in a castle build. :classic:

I think it's not especially in using only dark colours, but also in using just different colors... purple for example ismy personal main color for GoH...