I had been having a break from lego but when the new worm gear from 42061 came out I wanted to have another go at a spider crane.

I want V2 to have the following improvements:

3 services through the turntable

8 way gearbox so boom extension and drive can be connected to the motor

Large LA for the out riggers as the small LA just aren't strong enough

The easiest way to get the 3 services through the turntable with in the scale height is by drilling out the centres of two 32498 and using this set up:

33223980906_c3a8ffd21b_z.jpgUNIC-706 by James Tillson, on Flickr

I'm not sure I want to MOC with modified parts so V2 may not happen.

Keep at it, I think you could make it work without modified parts, as these videos show.

Or, you could employ a better custom solution, with some 3D printed parts:

I'd say if you're willing to do custom parts, don't drill out turntables, use something like this instead, and make it really good.

That is a very functional model, the outriggers system is incredible, that is a nice use of the gear racks and the new worm gear, they seem to be very strong; the same goes to the crane, the gear rack and the new worm gear again, looks they work very well, and the 3 functions through the turntable is very cool too, i don´t like too much to modify Lego parts, but i think it could be accepted in this case because it was really needed, i hope TLG makes new parts to achieve the 3 functions through 1 turntable without needing to modify any parts; this crane really looks promising, i hope to see more updates soon, great work.

Very well done. I'm not a fan of modifying parts either but it's your lego. i could do with four of those gear rakcs myself right now.

H

On 3/6/2017 at 2:02 AM, Imanol BB said:

... the same goes to the crane, the gear rack and the new worm gear again, looks they work very well...

The gear rack and new worm gear is stronger and has a greater range than a large LA (and its red which help with this model).

I'm not going to modify any parts but I have thought of a couple of other ways to connect the boom extension to the motor and have drive with steering. Hopefully I can put it all together this weekend.