Wineyard

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

This is my first (and perhaps last?) try at building a typical gothic/ neogothic church. I was inspired by, among others, Notre Dame in Paris, Kölner Dom in Cologne and Uppsala Cathedral. I built the church as an entry to Swebrick's contest Master Builder of the Year (and was therefore forced to squeeze the building to 2 x 4 baseplates, which unfortunatly makes the propotions a bit off)

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

Gothic Cathedral

Wainting for the bus

We also made a small movie!

Brilliant design and detail. Don't knock yourself for squeezing this onto the limited baseplates...there is a ton to look at and take in :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

3 minutes ago, Kjellevirus said:

Amazing! How many pieces did you use? :wacko: It is so huge! 

Thanks! I think it's around 20 000 - 25 000 pieces!

One of the first real mocs I saw as a kid was a cathedral like this one, I've always wanted to attempt one, but I do not have the skill you do. Bravo!

How fragile is it? I'm also presuming its quite heavy!

Edited by Criosphynx

This is fantastic. The shadows created from the way you've photographed it makes it easier to see and appreciate all the textures. I particularly like the stained glass windows.

Well done sir! :thumbup:

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your comments!

On 2017-02-28 at 5:54 AM, Criosphynx said:

One of the first real mocs I saw as a kid was a cathedral like this one, I've always wanted to attempt one, but I do not have the skill you do. Bravo!

How fragile is it? I'm also presuming its quite heavy!

Thank you! It's never too late to try! Since I started buiding with Lego again, about seven years ago, I have wanted to build a gothic chuch like this one! And I finally did it when the Swebrick contest came up. I choose to build a church mainly because "I had so many grey bricks". (an assumption that proved wrong, I ended up buying grey pieces for like $500)

The church is actually quite sturdy! The buttresses are, just like real gothic architecture, thick, which makes the walls very sturdy. Some of interior structure could have been less fragile though :P I haven't weighed it, but I would quess that it weighs around 15 kg.

Man that is impressive !!  Don't know where to start but I think I now realise that there is a huge gap between us lot who tinker building stuff and a master builder like yourself.

Says it all when you get praise from someone like snaillad who is themselves a great builder. 

So well done, I love it 

That is a lot of detail and good work in the cathedral.  Nice techniques, especially with the rose window

Your cathedral is a piece of Lego art!

I like how you achieved to give a grey building so much detail. The stained glass windows brighten the construction.

Is it possible to remove the roof to see the interior?

Thank you very much!

2 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Your cathedral is a piece of Lego art!

I like how you achieved to give a grey building so much detail. The stained glass windows brighten the construction.

Is it possible to remove the roof to see the interior?

Thanks! Yes, you can remove the roof. You can actually split up the church in 10 pieces, but is only for pratical reasons. The interior is very colorful and is not really meant to be seen :P