Hello fellow builders!

I felt that it was finally time to share with you all something that I've been working on/ playing with for a while now:

My L-Motor Frame.

29152377323_d62517684d_n.jpgL-Motor Block Types by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

The concept for this project was to create a stable platform on which (primarily) steam engines could be produced with less motor& cable obstructions.

29149931864_280d980096_n.jpgL-Motor Block Types by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

This would then allow the engine's body to be built relatively free of electrical components, or crammed with them in the case of tank engines.

31663686091_4ac470cdb1_n.jpgL-Motor Block Variants by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

I think that the most interesting part of the frame is the fact that it is easily modifiable, and can essentially go from 2 to 7 axles! At the time of writing this however, I've only dared to go up to 4 axles for a related project.

31663686421_885f2ea668_n.jpgL-Motor Block Variants (2) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Hopefully these frames and their different gear ratios will inspire you to make a steam engine! Although, there are a great many European engines that are not steam, but employ connecting rods for their drive wheels.

32047727094_e82432e31b_n.jpgL-Frame with Medium-Large wheels by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Lastly, here are some alternative wheel sizes that you may be interested in. These are made possible by the work of BigBen Bricks and @Shupp. The smallest feasible size would be the Medium-Large drivers by Shupp. These would need a bit of reworking from a standard L-Frame in order to clear switches and such.

29981234612_4606f9c5d6_n.jpgNew Wheels!!! (2) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Here, a set of XL wheels from BigBen fit nicely on a standard frame.

32766346801_bafbb8ae83_n.jpgL-Frame with XXL wheels by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

And, by upgrading to the longer frame size, you could even accommodate 6 of Shupp's XXL wheels!

Hopefully this post will benefit everyone, but moreso people who've had a difficult time getting into trains, and especially steam!

Please, let me know your thoughts, and definitely share your ideas for a potential future build that might benefit from this design!

Oh, and here's the link to the files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9xAgBdzDImZaFFsM2lGVkdmcEk

Thanks for reading,

~M_Slug357~

Noooo! Why did I built your frames in LDD for myself just recently, just that you now make them available?

Hah, guess you showed me :laugh:

Still thanks for sharing, will definitely try to make use of them :blush:

Thanks everyone for your interest so far!! @ScotNick I'm sorry that it took so long to get these files out, but also hope you had an enjoyable time trying to reverse-engineer the frames :) 

If anyone's having trouble with the files or the link, please message me!

This looks very useful! I'm working on a tank engine design now and then, this could help to get the neccesary PF equipment on board.

This looks like an interesting method of possibly powering Tony Sava's 4449 from inside the locomotive... Hmm... 

Edited by Rotundus

*Shamelessly bumping this up*

But I come bearing a few examples for engines that can be constructed using my L-Frames:

33177157244_af891ee80f_n.jpgGroup Photo by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Be sure to check out my Flickr page for even more photos!

Note: I won't be providing the lxf files for these engines right now b/c they're not done yet.

Wow! These look very good! That's one of the best ways to build when it comes to a functioning model, is to have a (or more) specially designed base which you then build your model off of. I see you did the three wheeled base in blue. Makes me think Thomas the tank engine.