Criosphynx

Those with very large collections and small spaces how do you display?

Hi all!

I'm sure this has been covered, I did a few searches and didn't find much, sorry if this is redundant or in the wrong subforum.

I haven't been in a place where I can set anything large up for many, MANY years. I am now in the process of purchasing a home, but the home is going to be in the 800 sqft range. About the same as my apartment, just permanent.

I have a large collection (think 500lbs or so) and I'm searching for ideas. Shelves mounted to the wall are obvious for me. I have most of the collection sorted into sterilte at the moment, and the unsorted in totes.

I like the way I've seen a certain youtuber did it where he basically has a table low to the ground under the main table. Basically doubling the surface area. 

Otherwise I'm at a loss. I've waited many many many years for this and I really want to make a "lego room" happen.

Another option I think is setting up only one theme and photographing it then tearing it down every 6 months or so.

I'd also love to see pics of how you've set things up if its something besides just a giant table.

Additionally, has anyone used a tuffshed or other outdoor structure for their layouts? I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons of that as well because that is also an option.

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Criosphynx

The only thing I have been able to figure out is to display a few sets, and store the others. The rotate the sets so some sets are in my storage area and some on display.

i think it is better to display a few special things than to try to display them all.

When all things are special, nothing is special!

Just MHO.YMMV,

Andy D

If you have any MOCs of flying things (planes, dragons etc) that are structurally sound, you can suspend them from the ceiling using nylon clear non-stretch beading thread.

Edited by AmperZand

I do not have a large collection contrary to what my spouse thinks.  I use shelves mounted to walls for displaying.  I also separate my stuff into stuff I display at home and stuff I display at LUG events, conventions, etc.  The event stuff I keep boxed away until needed.

I've seen some AFOLs used a shed as a LEGO man cave. Some concerns could be security against theft, temperature/comfort, strong winds.

4 hours ago, AmperZand said:

If you have any MOCs of flying things (planes, dragons etc) that are structurally sound, you can suspend them from the ceiling using nylon clear non-stretch beading thread.

personally im trying to avoid that risk, and my current sets are pretty heavy and usually got a fugly bottom. not wanting some load-bearing string to snap and causing a puzzle on the floor.

13 minutes ago, masterX244 said:

personally im trying to avoid that risk, and my current sets are pretty heavy and usually got a fugly bottom. not wanting some load-bearing string to snap and causing a puzzle on the floor.

Fishing line is great for this. Granted it's not very heavy, but I had the plane that came with the 2012(or so...) airport hanging for years without incident. 

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread linked below as the modular buildings take up a good amount of space, everyone seems to want them all and no one wants to take them apart so they get pretty creative with a variety of different display solutions: 

Edited by koalayummies

9 hours ago, AmperZand said:

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Fishing line is great for this. Granted it's not very heavy, but I had the plane that came with the 2012(or so...) airport hanging for years without incident. 

Fishing line and the nylon clear non-stretch beading string that I mentioned before is the same thing except that the beading version comes in some of the same thicknesses as fishing line plus some thinner ones.

As Vindicare has indicated, its tensile strength does not diminish over time. If the string is going to snap, it will do so the moment it takes the strain. If you think the line might not be strong enough, hover your hands just under the MOC to take its weight just in case. In the unlikely event that the string isn't strong enough, either try thicker string or distribute the MOC's weight with more strings attached to additional fixing points. I have had good results using two sets of U-shaped strings, the top of each U being fixed to the ceiling/rafter. A more likely failure is at the fixing points. Again, easing the mock into its cradle and having hands beneath it just in case should ensure there is no problem, but it's worth checking periodically that the fixing points are holding strong.

My display is mainly a mess :blush:

Well, I share an office with my wife, so I have a rather small desk which I would like to host a small display. It can contain 5 x 3 baseplates. Now it is just a mix of boxes for storage, WIPs, and other stuff.

Furthermore I have some bookcases and shelves for primary storage, but also display. One shelf for three modulars, another for whatever I find is going there.

Due to the limited space, I plan to make small layouts/dioramas and change them now and then. My hope and is to get a bigger layout some day. But it will not be in our present flat.

I am on the same boat as you. I have one room to put a ton of lego's in. What I do though is keep all the stuff out that I am in the mood at looking at and box the other stuff for later. So I guess you can say that I am seasonal.