32861217051_b0765e8ed8_b.jpg

Marja Henrietta Fontonajo stood on the veranda of the de la Montague ranch, a few miles northeast of King's Port on Terraversa. She knew the ranchero Hugo Gonzalo de la Montague from former... missions. Hugo Gonzalo had always been a true Terraversan, opposing the Mardierian throne. Marja had held up the relationship between Terraversan revolutionists and the Eslandolan crown for many years.
But this time it was different. There was no more king Fernando. There was no more master. At least so she thought, until Hugo Gonzalo de la Montague started talking:

"My son might be about to do something stupid, mistress Fontonajo."
"Then you should tell him not to?"
"Which father's words might stop a son's heart, young lady?"
"My father did. Until he died, that was."

"See?"
"I guess you might be right", Marja frowned. "But what do you think he will do?"
"Regarding that", Hugo replied, "I must admit I am not quite certain yet."
"So what do you assume?"
"At the current moment in time I assume it might be love."
"Love?"
"Sure, love. A heated heart leaves place for no cool mind, they say."
"Why are you telling me?"
"I am quite certain you know why, mistress Fontonajo?"
"I won't help you. I cannot babysit your son!"
"What other business hinders you, mylady? That of a broken king? Or your brother's? Highest political ambitions, they say. King of the Colonies he might want to become, or at least there are rumors? Is it this?"
"No. But your son has to care for himself."

"Does he really have to?"
"I said no", Marja replied. "And I mean it."

Hugo Gonzalo de la Montague hesitated for a while, before he replied.
"Then, mylady, I am afraid I have to remind you that you owe me. Most certainly you know what I am talking about? And I guess your personal honour is still intact?"

Marja's face hardened, and with a stern look she replied: "So who am I looking for?"
"Ricardo Alphonso, my glorious son, a good looking..." - "Not him. Her.", Marja interrupted.
"I fear I have no clue who she is."
"No clue at all, Senor de la Montague? None at all?"
"There might be one... thing... A housemaid had told me that she had heard him murmur a name in his sleep. Angelica, she had said."
"Where can I find this housemaid?"

The look in Hugo's face - when he had talked about his housemaid - both ashamed and enthusiastic at the same time, had told Marja all she needed to know. Now she had something against Hugo de la Montague. Whenever she would need it.
But he had made her curious. And he was right in that she owed him. And now she wanted to find out more about this story. Time to find a girl named "Angelica" in King's Port. She had solved harder tasks before.

For the first time since the fall of King Fernando she felt vivid again. Marja Fontonajo was back.

... to be continued ...

32171432903_da5540ef97_t.jpg

Edited by Elostirion

Lovely job. The cheese slopes do an excellent job of creating a stone wall. Very clever.

The story is exciting as well, and I am interested to see what Marja has planned.  

And the story continues: Part I

Nice little vignette, Elos. The use of cheese slopes (which I hadn't identified at first) is very effective, and the low wall and the pillars give the impression of this being part of a larger building.

Always enjoyable cooperating with you, sir, and a great kick-off for our little story! :pir-blush: