Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

POTC ships

I was watching At Worlds End recently and I noticed that the Endeavour (Beckets Ship) was based on a 1st rate ship of the line like the Victory but rather than 3 gun decks it had 4 or 5. Also the Black Pearl doesn't look much like any ship I know. Maybe a frigate but I'm not really sure.

If anyone knows I'd be glad of a little extra knowledge about the best trilogy of films ever made.

Regards, Captain Zuloo

I know for a fact that the Endeavour in POTC is a three decked ship of the line. It does not have four or five deck. It is exactly like the HMS Victory. Here is a screen shot from the movie.

I know for a fact that the Endeavour in POTC is a three decked ship of the line. It does not have four or five deck. It is exactly like the HMS Victory. Here is a screen shot from the movie.

Well there you go! Thanks!

Captain zuloo

No problem... I liked the movie... except when the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman Destroy the Endeavor in about one minute.. It took hours of fighting to just put a ship of the line out of commission and it was rare that a ship of a line would sustain enough damage to sink.. The Endeavor could have put up a heck of a fight in real life... I bet the Flying Dutchman would have taken longer to defeat than the Black Pearl due to the fact that the flying dutchman was a two decked ship of the line... I would guess she was about a 64 gun ship.

I believe the Black Pearl is a medium sized galleon. Or she could be a merchant ship that has had portholes and cannons added.. She has a high stern castle which supports my first two conclusions.

-Tgreen

Edited by HMS243

It works fine for me!

It looks more like a screen shot from a computer game rather than a film however.

more like three miniature ships in someone's pond :-P

could you explain to me what a ship of the line, or any other type is? I suppose it's a ship used by the navy?

TT

more like three miniature ships in someone's pond :-P

could you explain to me what a ship of the line, or any other type is? I suppose it's a ship used by the navy?

TT

A ship of the line is one that would stand in the line of battle, (during much of the age of sail the fleets would form two opposing line and sail together and beat the hell out of each other (this wasn