Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Stark

[Brandon Stark: Part 1, Chapter 4] Overlooking the Reach

Part 1, Chapter 1

Part 1, Chapter 2

Part 1, Chapter 3

This is a crossover with TitusV, and a continuation of Brandon Stark's story. If Blufiji isn't okay with this build being in the Reach, I will promptly remove it. 

32226368023_14c4e910b9.jpgOverlooking the Reach by Brandon Stark, on Flickr

Brandon was observing the military encampment below from the top of a hill. The encampment, located in the Reach, capital of the Goblin Empire, was expanded by the arrival of his troops from Avalonia days ago. As he looked down upon row upon row of goblins, men, elves, and even some dwarves, he came to wonder if this force would even come close to defeating Raavage and the Spire.

Behind him, Brandon noticed Lord Alric Drondil walking up the hill towards him. Lord Alric ruled the province in which Brandon was born, Drond's Fields. Though Brandon barely knew Lord Drondil then, he briefly knew his father, Balric, and later offered Alric aid in retaking his birthright from the usurper Garmaddon. Brandon was greeted Alric first. "Good day Lord Alric. It's a nice view, don't you think? Though we have more pressing matters to attend to."

"Good day, Brandon. We've gotten word that war was already started in the north. While we've sent out our messengers, it seems Raavage is calling his followers also. It is now known that he has aid from the Drow, our enemy, and the Algus, Mitgardia's enemy. While I'm going to stay here with my soldiers to help Lord Gal Turok, Lord Vladivus in Shadowmere, could definitely use some aid."

"It is my plan to aid Shadowmere. I will only stay in the Reach for a few days so my soldiers can rest and prepare for the war. In a few days or so, I will march north with my forces. Hopefully the forces of Zotharith along the way will join us. As for now, I've sent many Green Riders calling all the lords of Avalonia to help. Unfortunately, they don't listen to me like they do to their lords."

"We are heavily outnumbered, though no doubt we're more trained and experienced. Still, this war is now not only contained to Nocturnus. The Mitgardians must be able to hold the main Algus advance from flooding the south, while, us Avalonians must be able to keep the Drow in the holes where they belong. Otherwise, our forces here are too small to be able to hold two floods of Algus and Drow, whose armies number in the ten thousands."

"This situation seems very dire. I will need you to help me to send ravens to every Avalonian embassy in Nocturnus. We must tell them to dispatch every Green Rider they can to send word to all the lords of Avalonia. They must be told to do whatever they can to help the Resistance, either by stopping the Drow in Avalonia, or coming here."

"Yes, I will make sure to do that. Now if you'll excuse me, I must meet with my generals to discuss this war. See you later today, or if not, see you tomorrow, Brandon."

Edited by Brandon Stark

Nice use of forced perspective with the tents down below the ridge! It took me a while to recognize them for what they were, but when it clicked I saw it clearly. A couple of things could improve the visibility of the perspective: first, the random light bley pebble near the edge needs to go, as it confuses the eye; second, and I don't know if this is possible with LDD builds, since I don't do it myself, but it would be better to have the tents just slightly out of focus to imply greater depth in the image. That being said, it is well done. As I said with your challenge build, I think your tree still needs quite a bit more foliage, but that is fairly minor. It is also a bit off-putting to only see the characters' backs, instead of a humanizing close-up of their faces. A bigger image would also be nice to aid the eye in admiring what you have done. Keep up the good work!

Neat build! You tree could indeed have used some more leaves, but overall a very fine build, esoecially the forced perspective :thumbup:

looking forward to the rest of the story!

Nice build, Brandon. The wedge plates in the landscaping are excellent, and I like the boulder off to the left. As Henjin said, some more leaves on the tree would be nice, but overall a great little vignette. :classic:

Nice story and a simple but effective forced perspective build. I like builds and stories that tie the realms of Historica together and make the events and places feel connected rather than going on in separate bubbles.

On 2/21/2017 at 6:04 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice use of forced perspective with the tents down below the ridge! It took me a while to recognize them for what they were, but when it clicked I saw it clearly. A couple of things could improve the visibility of the perspective: first, the random light bley pebble near the edge needs to go, as it confuses the eye; second, and I don't know if this is possible with LDD builds, since I don't do it myself, but it would be better to have the tents just slightly out of focus to imply greater depth in the image. That being said, it is well done. As I said with your challenge build, I think your tree still needs quite a bit more foliage, but that is fairly minor. It is also a bit off-putting to only see the characters' backs, instead of a humanizing close-up of their faces. A bigger image would also be nice to aid the eye in admiring what you have done. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I didn't realize the bley pebble until after I posted. :sceptic: I believe the tents can be more out of focus, if you tilt the model some more, but I'm not sure. I was trying to get a dramatic shot with my sigfig looking down into a sea of tents, but I don't think it worked. Plus, there's not a lot you can do in LDD.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:46 PM, TitusV said:

Neat build! You tree could indeed have used some more leaves, but overall a very fine build, esoecially the forced perspective :thumbup:

looking forward to the rest of the story!

Thank you! I'll have to experiment with a new tree technique to make it look more realistic.

On 2/23/2017 at 4:42 AM, LittleJohn said:

Nice build, Brandon. The wedge plates in the landscaping are excellent, and I like the boulder off to the left. As Henjin said, some more leaves on the tree would be nice, but overall a great little vignette. :classic:

Thanks! I'm glad you like the wedge plates and boulder.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:20 AM, Muakhah said:

Nice story and a simple but effective forced perspective build. I like builds and stories that tie the realms of Historica together and make the events and places feel connected rather than going on in separate bubbles.

Thank you! Yeah, I also like story crossovers, as it always makes stories more interesting. 

Edited by Brandon Stark

Honored to be a part of you and Titus's crossover. On to the build. As others have said, the forced perspective works well here, the tents and encampment looks sprawling. I would like to see a fuller tree and maybe olive green ground in tpuched but I still think you have done nice work.

Good use of wedge plates for the landscape :thumbup:The two bushes and rock add some nice additional detail to the scene :classic:

On 2/26/2017 at 9:41 PM, Blufiji said:

Honored to be a part of you and Titus's crossover. On to the build. As others have said, the forced perspective works well here, the tents and encampment looks sprawling. I would like to see a fuller tree and maybe olive green ground in tpuched but I still think you have done nice work.

Thanks! I'm honored to build in the Reach. 

On 2/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Good use of wedge plates for the landscape :thumbup:The two bushes and rock add some nice additional detail to the scene :classic:

Thank you! The wedge plates were somewhat tedious to do, but I'm satisfied with how it looks and will probably use it again.