VaderFan2187

[MOC] Senate Duel -- Help needed!

One thing I like to do is make MOCs, but design them as if they were official sets.

One example here is my Senate Duel MOC:

79110%20Senate%20Duel_zpssm9crspj.png

However, it has no play features at all, apart from the ability to slide around (thanks to boat bottoms) and the ability for minifigs to sit down, both of which are very bland. The ability for minifigs to sit down could be advertised as a play feature, but I still need 1-2 more. Does anyone have any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance, and no, clipping stud shooters on the side is not an option :laugh:

VaderFan2187

Maybe the pod thingies able to move up and down? My point being, you could build a base to mount the pods on which will allow a specific range of movement, relevant and accurate to the movie but playable.

It looks like each pod has a relatively low piece count, so maybe you up the count to 3 or 4 pods, all attached to a very simple wall structure? Not sure exactly how but this would allow each pod to be ejected with a technic pin to simulate force throwing. With the increase in pieces, a couple of Imperial Guards could be included to balance it out.

15 minutes ago, BrickByBrick Official said:

Maybe the pod thingies able to move up and down? My point being, you could build a base to mount the pods on which will allow a specific range of movement, relevant and accurate to the movie but playable.

5 minutes ago, jamiejme said:

It looks like each pod has a relatively low piece count, so maybe you up the count to 3 or 4 pods, all attached to a very simple wall structure? Not sure exactly how but this would allow each pod to be ejected with a technic pin to simulate force throwing. With the increase in pieces, a couple of Imperial Guards could be included to balance it out.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try out some of these later :sweet:

I feel this is a very important scene which should get a set, so thank you!

Allow me to throw in some random thoughts for inspiration:

• camera droids?
  • the pods could have a spinning feature (Yoda spinning and throwing them), also an exploding feature (explosion of the energy orb created by Yoda and Palpatine during the duel)
  • a mechanism to make Yoda jump (similar to the mechanism in Palpatine's Arrest e.g.)
  • you may think about adding the Chancellor's podium. It would a bit of a different set, but the podium is a good counterpoint to the rather bland pods. And you can add the playfeature of raising the podium, and attaching the pods to it (as if they'd fly)
  • you might also add Bail Organa's speeder and a lower hatch, recreating Yoda's escape

21 minutes ago, jamiejme said:

They'd make sense in this sense in this set. But I would suggest Shock Troopers instead. They also were in the Senate hunting down Yoda (unsuccessfully), and the Royal Guards have been featured rather extensively in the last years (BP, Final Duel, and DS). And we never had a movie version of the Shock Troopers.

cnChiVn.jpg

This is easy. I like the start you have. One play feature I would want to see in this set would be the pods be attached to a wall/structure, and pulling a lever/pushing a button to eject the pod as if it's being flung at Yoda, I think Palpatines podium should be included as well. Some Minifigs Such as Royal Guards I think would be a great addition.  

Looking at the photo of the Shocktroopers above, you might also want to add the ventral fin/podium and a railing as well... would add visual interest and be more movie-accurate. And add some dark gray to break up the palette?

Like what @Flieger said, add some exploding functions or a catapult. If you were to build part of a wall, maybe that could explode as if the pod crashed into it? Dare I say include a super jumper as from what I remember Palpatine and especially yoda do a lot of jumping from pod to pod? Or just include a small inbuilt catapult as part of the pod.