Jim

[TC11] Technic Contest Battle Bots - Discussion Topic

Mwahahaha :devil:

Hopefully my PF IR receiver replacement will arrive in time, will watch some battle bots videos while waiting 

10 hours ago, Jim said:

The rules clearly state the two options.

OK, just wondering if it was an oversight, oh well, guess I'll vote for this contest, and hopefully play in the next one. :classic:

27 minutes ago, XtremeBuilder said:

OK, just wondering if it was an oversight, oh well, guess I'll vote for this contest, and hopefully play in the next one. :classic:

Or make something and join the Raffle :wink: 

37 minutes ago, LvdH said:

a few years ago one of my PF XL motor's internal wire broke, so I cut it a bit shorter and it works like normal now. Is this fine to use?

Let's pretend we didn't see this :wink: 
(it's ok, since you haven't modified the motor)

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

Raffle!, so I can still join some sort of contest, prepare for NeXT Gen Gargantuan! :devil:

Please not that I am not responsible for any and all damages caused by incorrect viewing of this sentence, scale may affect the size of the NeXT Gen Gargantuan, all rights reserved.

Just now, XtremeBuilder said:

Raffle!, so I can still join some sort of contest, prepare for NeXT Gen Gargantuan! :devil:

You do need to follow the contest rules.

By the way; did you even read the information topic? :sadnew:

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

You do need to follow the contest rules.

By the way; did you even read the information topic? :sadnew:

Sorry, I think I'm mis-understanding you is all.

You said

And I had previously said that I only have mindstorms, so I thought you meant Mindstorms was allowed in the raffle, sorry. :classic:

P.S. I did read the info topic.

20 hours ago, Appie said:

Jeroen Ottens' suggestion of a virtual showdown between 2 battle bots before moving to the next round is a nice one, but doesn't cut it imo.

As cool as it sounds, I don't see this work either.

I mean, if one bot has a rotating blade, and the other has a hammer, which one wins? How do you even decide that?

I think voters should use their judgement about what's "cool" and "effective" by themselves. If I were to vote, I might do a virtual (imagined) showdown myself, using what I think could win. Someone else might do the same, with a wildly different outcome, because he imagines a different match between the same two bots. I see the hammer smashing the blade, he sees the blade cutting the hammer.

It's true with the real Robot Wars in the uk too. Quite often even the robot that should technically win on paper doesn't in the ring.

id say just vote as we normally do

After watching some hour battle bot fights, i think I have some concept what to build.

8 minutes ago, KikoTube said:

How about studded technic? If it is allowed, im in

Yes it is allowed! Have fun!

I would hate to be a moderator of a contest, having to repeat yourself all the time for the instructions. 

Studded technic was asked about already and was already answered. It is allowed, why wouldnt it be 

Edited by aminnich

hi all, i've just seen this topic right here and i see it was started on monday, since i main build lego battlebots i was building a witch doctor replica before this post and i posted so e photos on my twitter before monday, it is legal to enter it in the competition?\

edit, first time i've shown one piece of the bot was 12feb first tme i've shown the moc was 15feb.... it is.... new and not even fully finished

edit2 whaat?!? why prices are sbrick for who already own one and ir for who already own them? shouldn't be swapped?

Edited by PKW

36 minutes ago, PKW said:

hi all, i've just seen this topic right here and i see it was started on monday, since i main build lego battlebots i was building a witch doctor replica before this post and i posted so e photos on my twitter before monday, it is legal to enter it in the competition?\

edit, first time i've shown one piece of the bot was 12feb first tme i've shown the moc was 15feb.... it is.... new and not even fully finished

If you have already posted pictures of the model of battle bot, then you can't enter the competition with that model. 

But you are free to start a new one!

36 minutes ago, PKW said:

edit2 whaat?!? why prices are sbrick for who already own one and ir for who already own them? shouldn't be swapped?

I really don't understand what you mean here...

Just now, Milan said:

I really don't understand what you mean here...

I think he means, why are you giving Sbricks to those who already have them, same with the PF IR receiver, instead of giving Sbricks and IR receivers to those who (may) not have them?

8 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

I think he means, why are you giving Sbricks to those who already have them, same with the PF IR receiver, instead of giving Sbricks and IR receivers to those who (may) not have them?

yes exactly

12 minutes ago, Milan said:

But you are free to start a new one!

yes, a bit tired of always making new design (i've almost build 20 of them and i loos almost everything when i have to dismount one to have piecces for a new one) luckily i have a bot that was never posed waiting for this topic and another bot that was never build for the same aim, but again i have no time to make LDD for all the other bots to save them and i don't want to llos al the work i did

CrnNErNWgAAGp_c.jpg

3 bots are lacking here (th secret one plus witch doctor and its opponent) disky(top right) is dead and also 3 designs before them (wheeled scorpion, crab (i've used them in the soccer video on my yt) and a pneumatic lifter that was awesome) while ribaltolando and tracked scorpion still alive in digital form (they are from LRW tournament #1 video)

Edited by PKW

1 hour ago, PKW said:

Please read the prize distribution again. The raffle prize is a Volvo OR an SBrick. And not everybody here owns an SBrick, hence the PF category.

MOCs already presented elsewhere are not allowed, sorry. I'm sure you can build a new one.

34 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

Ahhh okay. In that case...Vengit is sponsor so they decided which prize is for which category.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

MOCs already presented elsewhere are not allowed, sorry. I'm sure you can build a new one.

thanks for the tempestive reply, hoping to be able to build something big before the deadline because i'm already planning to build an arena for my next vid and i may use it for the entry

Okay, I have a couple of different ideas, but first, I'd like to clarify something: Does this contest exclude unmanned tanks? I'm thinking, I could build a small robot tank that fits the rules, but is not really like a BattleBots robot as such. Or, does this have to be something like what you would see on the BattleBots TV show?

+1 to the previous question!
What do I have to aim for: something like TV-show battle bots, or absolutely anything, that can be described as battle bot/robot?Will something animal-like, for example, scorpion-walker design fit the contest rules?

24 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

---

17 minutes ago, Kit Fisto said:

---

You can build any battle machine you want, as long as it fits the rules. There is no fixed rule about the look, BUT try to follow the spirit of the contest! So, unmanned tanks, walkers, bipeds...are okay. Just make sure it can drive/steer and to have a signature move.

I'm assuming it has to be a single bot, not multiple bots that fit in the 45L cube.  Could it have a hangar that a smaller bot drives out of and runs independently?  Can it intentionally drop unpowerred parts of itself?

What does the arena they are hypothetically fighting in look like?  Is the floor a flat hard surface?  Are there obstacles or hazards in the arena?  On Battlebots the bots are often disabled not by the other bot but by the other bot putting them in a position on the hazards in the arena they can't get out of even though they are still working.

6 minutes ago, krtwood said:

I'm assuming it has to be a single bot, not multiple bots that fit in the 45L cube.

Correct.

Could it have a hangar that a smaller bot drives out of and runs independently?

No, it has to be a single bot.

Can it intentionally drop unpowerred parts of itself?

No, but it can shoot rockets and other stuff, as long as the trigger is remotely operated.

9 minutes ago, krtwood said:

What does the arena they are hypothetically fighting in look like?  Is the floor a flat hard surface?  Are there obstacles or hazards in the arena?

Arena is the space where you will take the video and pictures of your model. There are no rules or requirements about that. Your "arena" must be sufficient for your bot to demonstrate its ability to drive/steer smoothly and show off its signature move. So enough space and enough light.