Jim

[TC11] Technic Contest Battle Bots - Discussion Topic

I didnt think about the battery box being effectively an adjustable weight. Was just thinking about completely full ones. Being able to tune the weight of the spinner to suit the motor so that it can store lots of energy whilst still being light enought to spin fast is a great advantage :thumbup:

I am not posting this to self promote, but to have you guys make sure what I did is a legal move.  I did not want to post the same thing on 2 different topics.  

It is a way around the size constraint, but still staying inside the 45x45x45 box

Edited by aminnich

Hi guys, was just wondering would I be allowed to post an entry that is a complete version of a prototype version that I posted a while ago? Today I have completely redesigned everything except the spinning mass, which I am happy with, and the total design time including designing the previous prototype plus today's building is about 3 days.

Edited by allanp

Its a tricky to decide is something "new enough", if it is based on already presented model. That's why we prefer to have new, never seen models on the contests.

So, no keeping any sections that are already presented in the past, but if you can make a complete redesign of a machine, it is ok!

Understood. I'll probably keep it as it is as any change to the disk will probably make it worse :laugh:. I may post a topic on it just to join in with the battle bots fun but won't enter it in the competition unless I decide to think up a new design for the disk :classic:

So as we get closer to the deadline of the contest we are starting to see so real progress on these bots and they are looking great.  

It looks to be instead of having pf and Sbrick categories, we should have had pf and buggy motor categories.....

Harvester of Sorrow and hypnodisk (do not think is officially apart of contest) but use buggy motors for their main weapon and holy crap.... They are gonna destroy the competition.  The buggy motor has a much higher speed output compared to any of the PF motors.  And by the looks of hypnodisk, it packs a punch a mining truck.  

I know it is late in the contest, but I just wanted to share my opinions.  

Great job guys and good luck to everyone participating.

Just now, aminnich said:

So as we get closer to the deadline of the contest we are starting to see so real progress on these bots and they are looking great.  

It looks to be instead of having pf and Sbrick categories, we should have had pf and buggy motor categories.....

Harvester of Sorrow and hypnodisk (do not think is officially apart of contest) but use buggy motors for their main weapon and holy crap.... They are gonna destroy the competition.  The buggy motor has a much higher speed output compared to any of the PF motors.  And by the looks of hypnodisk, it packs a punch a mining truck.  

I know it is late in the contest, but I just wanted to share my opinions.  

Great job guys and good luck to everyone participating.

My brickwave is use 2 RC motor too

11 hours ago, Milan said:

Its a tricky to decide is something "new enough", if it is based on already presented model. That's why we prefer to have new, never seen models on the contests.

So, no keeping any sections that are already presented in the past, but if you can make a complete redesign of a machine, it is ok!

Thaks for specify this! I thought that rules for tc6 still here (the small off road model that was changed but not 100% was able to participate)

Do this mean that if I'be built something like a rubber band powered flipper and I want to use the flipper arm u need to redesign the shape but I can keep the lever? Because there is only one way to build that weapon so i'm forced to at least copy the geometry even if everything else will be different (we are talking of a setup of 20 pieces) it is like to say hey i'm using a lego gearbox and they are made all in the same way so i'm forced to use the same pieces setup, not a copy of something I made but a replica of an existing lego mechanism shared by a lot of builds

Also if I can give an opinion about hypnodisk replica I think that it should be allowed to compete since it is a lot different from the mock up chassis he made than other build presented in other contests were (but I also think my opinion shouldn't weight much)

On 3/24/2017 at 9:50 AM, PKW said:

I thought that rules for tc6 still here

Rules about only new, never shown models, are same as they were in TC6.

About your flipper, I have already answered the same question four posts back.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, allanp said:

I may post a topic on it just to join in with the battle bots fun but won't enter it in the competition unless I decide to think up a new design for the disk :classic:

Just make the new disc and enter it! It works too good to be left out! :thumbup:

I am still deciding what weapon but I don't own a buggy motor and geez are they expensive

Lol skid steer is annoyingly hard to incorporate without tracks

10 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Lol skid steer is annoyingly hard to incorporate without tracks

Agree

@Jim @Milan Just a suggestion: I would indicate the weight in the entry topics, I believe it is a parameter which can also influence the performance. Meaning here the the momentum (p=m*v), and impulse. It is too much physics maybe :sweet:, but we can have a better overall feeling about the bots.

Let's not make it any more complicated than it already is.

I say no to it. 45x45x45 is fine actually. if it is much bigger it's all gonna about the most powerfull weapon. If we leave the rules like this it forces us to use creativity. It also makes this contest a challenge. You have to think about what you are building and not put just a bunch of beams together. I would vote yes for keeping same cubic volume of 45^3=91125 cubic studs where you can have it as long/high as  you want. 

I also think some people are not gonna like it because they already finished their bult and would have build something totally different if they had more space. I personally would be fine with it though.

Because I didn't want to further occupy the other topic I'll ask here:

Keep this in mind - Max 45L wide, deep and high or...max 45 in any direction. From the photo, it looks like you have taken some tiny advantage from diagonal line, ultimately leading to a bit bigger bot than 45L

This was said in aminnich's topic, but it causes me some confusion because these rules seem to conflict. I saw the picture by Erik Leppen and understand why one would say that's not allowed. But at the same time you would be allowed to make a square bot of 45x45 which would have a diagonal of more than 63, but that would not be allowed. So what is the rule? A box of 45x45x45 or a sphere with a diameter of 45?

I really don't get the confusion. The model needs to fit inside a 45x45x45 box.

Yes that is clear but there have been two topic now where it did fit the box but because a diagonal or other line between two points on the outside of the bot was larger than 45, and that it therefore should not be allowed.

Agree with Rennuh, I also don't see the point of limit spinner's length back to 45, as long it fits into the 45x45 footprint in standby mode.

The rules allow to extend weapons after the green light, I don't see how a diagonal blade is different in this case, than a pneumatic arm for example.

I understand the quoted statement, but there is still a geometrical - logical conflict. I tried to visualise below: in standby mode both robots fit, in active mode none of them. 

1.png

We have two statements now:

1. It must fit in 45x45x45 L.
  2. None of any measurement may be longer than 45 L.

In first case the spinner bots should be OK with diagonal blades, in second case we all have to start to measure our models, if there is a diagonal measurement (also in X-Z and Y-Z  and even in X-Y-Z direction) wich doesn't fit. This doesn't sounds realistic. My bot is one of the smallest with 37x26 in Lengt x Width, which is in diagonal 45,22 L, if I count the height also to it (9 L), than I get a 46,1 L line. So should I rebuild?

Edited by agrof

I just wanted to make sure with mine because it was so close, but Milan and I worked it out and mine is exactly 45L wide. 

Sorry for all the size debating and confusion

I think the diagonal rule is good because the spinner bots would not have to get close as other bots

Just like the bots with retractable weapon (in standby mode) - which is allowed according to the rules. In this point of view I can only consider a spinner as a kind of retractable weapon, all is needed: it must be started remotely.

I do think the original rules are good, the diagonal measurement of the blades and thus the restriction is a misunderstanding. In case it isn't, I am open for detailed arguments. :classic:

Edited by agrof

I agree with agrof, the 45 limit to diagonals doesn't make sense if you take in account all other rules like the actual size limit and the retractable weapons. A more logical rule to prevent the example that was given by Erik Leppen on the second page would be that the bot should be facing forward within the 45x45x45 box when in standby mode.