Jim

[TC11] Technic Contest Battle Bots - Discussion Topic

27 minutes ago, Matty04 said:

can we only use photos? or we can use vids as well? is there a maximum vid time?

Please read the rules on the first page. Yes, you do need a video. No there is no maximum video time. The shorter, the better, as voters wont have a time to look all in details.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:18 PM, Jim said:

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Robot name
  • Signature move name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more pictures (max 3)
  • Embedded video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

Okay everyone, this should answer a few questions and stir some inspiration, at least for the PF catergory!

As you can see, pure Lego can be a destructive force! Check out all fights featuring "Whiplash" from Series 4 onwards. To fit within the "rules" of this particular builder, the competitors chassis and armour is no where near as strong as it could have been... 45L in comparison is huge. But as there may not be any actual fights in this competition, it will be interesting to see how people use the space, and if the weaponry can still be effective at such a size.

Good luck everyone and I hope this stirs a resurgance!

8 hours ago, Jim said:

but since we don't have actual battles, the voters will be the judge of that. Basically, these 3 criteria

Muhahahahahahahah that's what you think...

17 hours ago, Jim said:

We have two categories. Let's leave it at that ;)

Or maybe to fights... i really hope my idea will work

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

I chose from start Volvo loader wheels. This time i chose to go big, because almost always something big wins. :)

Yes that is a really bad thing :( hope to show everyone that big bots won't win a battle ever

32 minutes ago, Levitate_me said:

Okay everyone, this should answer a few questions and stir some inspiration, at least for the PF catergory!

As you can see, pure Lego can be a destructive force! Check out all fights featuring "Whiplash" from Series 4 onwards. To fit within the "rules" of this particular builder, the competitors chassis and armour is no where near as strong as it could have been... 45L in comparison is huge. But as there may not be any actual fights in this competition, it will be interesting to see how people use the space, and if the weaponry can still be effective at such a size.

Good luck everyone and I hope this stirs a resurgance!

Sry for double posting but i can't insert a quote on the edit and i haven't noticed this post before: EDIT oops, it worked!

my bot will fit that rules except the use of mostly old techinc bricks, i love to build with 1kg limit and a reasonable size for electronic and the pit to be effective

Edited by PKW

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

I chose from start Volvo loader wheels. This time i chose to go big, because almost always something big wins. :)

I think motorcycle wheels would be best. Large, but without needing too much space. Problem: I sold mine...

1 hour ago, PKW said:

Yes that is a really bad thing :( hope to show everyone that big bots won't win a battle ever

That's why real BattleBots have weight categories. But, as TC11 doen't have weight categories, I'll just pretend that all bots will be scaled to have the same weight. So larger bots would be scaled down to match the smaller ones.

My bot will probably be large too...

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

I'm using the monster CLAAS Tires.:devil: Go big or go home!:laugh: 

The bigger the tires, the less space you have for motors and battery box(es) keep that in mind.  

BTW, who is making the first TC11 topic :classic:

Edited by aminnich

11 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I was thinking, it would be an advantage to use large wheels on a flat bot so it could work upside down. But if I go for that, building a nice body will be a lot more difficult.

You could use smaller wheels and duplicate them on top to enable upside down movement...

It is ok to have the "entry topic" showing building and progress of two robots and then make a video of the two fighting and choose as real entry only the winner? so "likeliness to win a battle" will be sort of less arbitrary

On 25/2/2017 at 10:16 PM, GroundskeeperWillie said:

You could use smaller wheels and duplicate them on top to enable upside down movement...

remember to put receiver so they can receive signal while driving on both side. also you'll remember to drive backward with reverse steering while flipped upside down, or just make an invertible remote ;)

76c507ab-6de9-4ba1-8990-e42403d2419f.jpg

Edited by PKW
new image that should be 966x722, resized but can't check it

2 hours ago, PKW said:

It is ok to have the "entry topic" showing building and progress of two robots and then make a video of the two fighting and choose as real entry only the winner? so "likeliness to win a battle" will be sort of less arbitrary

PKW, lets try to read rules and replies.

- It is already said both in replies, and noted in the Rules, that you can present only one bot. Furthermore, rules stated you can have max 3 pictures, and those pictures should be of your finished model, not building and progress. In discussion topic, you can show building and progress, but again, only from one bot. 

- Please take care of your posted image size, you have posted image twice the size of the allowed size.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

PKW, lets try to read rules and replies.

- It is already said both in replies, and noted in the Rules, that you can present only one bot. Furthermore, rules stated you can have max 3 pictures, and those pictures should be of your finished model, not building and progress. In discussion topic, you can show building and progress, but again, only from one bot. 

- Please take care of your posted image size, you have posted image twice the size of the allowed size.

For the image i'm sorry, I always forget the size of my brickshelf folders, i'll edit with the right size one ASAP.

For the topic: I was asking because I haven't read anything like "the entry topic must contain only info about the entry" but only "you must have an entry topic that you info about you entry" (sorry for not quoting real rules it is hard from phone) so I thought it was better to check:

So all this means also that the video that has to "show the bot signature move...." can't be done with any other boy featuring it in order to show real weapon power or a real fight? Can I make a single entry topic and then use other bots to make the video about that entry and how it can handle a real fight?

I just want to clarify before I do it.  

Are zip ties allowed to keep the wires away from all the moving parts?

I usually do not use them, but in this build and I have lot of wires and a lot of gear moving around, I do not want to get a wire caught in the gearing.  

No zip ties will be used to hold the model together, I promise :wink:

I mean I guess, but rubber bands still have a lot of movement with them.  Zip ties will keep everything where I need them and nothing should move.  

When you get so far on your build that you decide to build it on LDD.... and nothing on LDD lines up.  

Buildings with circles is a pain

9 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I have one more question. Sbrick team can use game contoller instad mobile phone control?

I expected this question earlier. I will get back to you on this one. I'm inclined to say yes, but I will discuss it with Milan and Vengit.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, aminnich said:

The bigger the tires, the less space you have for motors and battery box(es) keep that in mind.  

I allready built some frame 45L wide with Volvo loader wheels. Put L engines for each of two wheels, two standard batteru packs, and theres still so much space, I don't know how to fill it.

15 hours ago, aminnich said:

Are zip ties allowed to keep the wires away from all the moving parts?

No, but, as suggested, you can use rubber bands, and if that is loose, try wrapping them few times until it is tight.

22 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Wait, you can have more than one battery box?

Not sure if I like that. But, well, rules are as they are...

I don't see any reason to limit the number of battery boxes.

14 hours ago, aminnich said:

I mean I guess, but rubber bands still have a lot of movement with them.  Zip ties will keep everything where I need them and nothing should move.  

Or simply guide them using LEGO parts.

9 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I have one more question. Sbrick team can use game contoller instad mobile phone control?

Verdict: Yes you can

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Maybe it is just because of everyone not thinking about being huge things that require more than 1 battery box to move and have enough energy for all its motors, but yes since more than 2 receivers are allowed there is no sense on limiting battery boxes because most build will just require then to move/act properly

What about my ide of a video where I can make my entry fight other bots? I already know I can show their building progress in the topic but I can show them in the video? Also I know videos are better if short, but inserting my video in a play list of flights (about the entry) and saying "if you like the entry and you want to see more of it in action you can just let the play list scroll" it is ok? The embeed video will be only the real one send the other will only appear on entry topic 

4 minutes ago, PKW said:

What about my ide of a video where I can make my entry fight other bots? I already know I can show their building progress in the topic but I can show them in the video? Also I know videos are better if short, but inserting my video in a play list of flights (about the entry) and saying "if you like the entry and you want to see more of it in action you can just let the play list scroll" it is ok? The embeed video will be only the real one send the other will only appear on entry topic 

I will discuss this with @Milan

Just now, Jim said:

Or simply guide them using LEGO parts.

I did not even think to ask about limiting the number of battery boxes, I just assumed you could use as many as you could fit.  In my case I am using 2 because of the number of PF motors I am using.  I battery box would not cut it.  I need as much power as I can get.  

As for the wires, I figured out how to run them so that they stay in place.