Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

Book II, Challenge V, Cat A: A Message from the Jarl

32848699602_f726dd9080_c.jpg

As the Black Spire gathers power, a new hope for Historica is discovered--the High King's heir!  Riders were dispatched quickly and quietly from the Beggar's Inn to the four Guilds and then to all corners of free Historica to spread the word.  Thorir carries this news through the snow-covered forests in the foothills of Mt. Mitgard towards the Bay of Storms.

Woohoo!  I built!  :laugh:  This was a bit of a panic MOC thrown together this week.  I had a wyvern going for this, but the darned thing was getting way to big to fit on 256 studs, so that'll get put in a freebuild or something at some point...  Also, new camera! :wub:

C&C always appreciated!

Spoiler

Very nice little scene.  I like the snow on the trees and the path is neat.  I like the figure although he should probably not carry the letter like that.  lol. 

Great pines! The irregular base with cobblestone and snow is really nicely done :wub:

Glad to see you back to building!

This is great! Your color-scheme really works here, and I am loving the snow on those trees. The trees themselves are also great. I do think the messenger's hands would be cold, though, without gloves...

Excellent build, mrcp6d!

I really like those trees!  The trunk technique give a nice appearance of bark.  What a great way to show snow on the trees as well!  The snowdrifts and irregular base offset the cobblestone path very well.  The Mitgardian figure is perfect with the fur hat and cloak, the 'hand' flags on the spear in Mitgardia's colors, and the snowshoes on the saddle!  As a tough Mitgardian used to the cold, he probably does not need gloves. :wink:

Interesting tree technique, it really gives the tree some texture, and the weighted down branch effect came out well.

Gorgeous tree design :wub: The snow clad branches are fantastic, as are the trunks. Beautiful path too, the bits of snow are a great addition :thumbup:

22 hours ago, zoth33 said:
  Hide contents

Very nice little scene.  I like the snow on the trees and the path is neat.  I like the figure although he should probably not carry the letter like that.  lol. 

Thanks zoth33! I figure we had to show the "messaging" happening for this category somehow, so, there's the letter out in the open. :wink:

13 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Great pines! The irregular base with cobblestone and snow is really nicely done :wub:

Glad to see you back to building!

Thanks Isaac, it's good to have hands on ABS again!

12 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is great! Your color-scheme really works here, and I am loving the snow on those trees. The trees themselves are also great. I do think the messenger's hands would be cold, though, without gloves...

A Mitgardian soldier's hands cold? Pfft! Good call though, oversight on my part.

10 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Excellent build, mrcp6d!

I really like those trees!  The trunk technique give a nice appearance of bark.  What a great way to show snow on the trees as well!  The snowdrifts and irregular base offset the cobblestone path very well.  The Mitgardian figure is perfect with the fur hat and cloak, the 'hand' flags on the spear in Mitgardia's colors, and the snowshoes on the saddle!  As a tough Mitgardian used to the cold, he probably does not need gloves. :wink:

Thanks Slegengr. I really admire builders that use studs/no studs/etc. purposefully to create differing texture within a single MOC. I absolutely was going for rough bark against smooth snow here.

10 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

These are some great trees, and I love how they feel weighed down with snow!

9 hours ago, Blufiji said:

Interesting tree technique, it really gives the tree some texture, and the weighted down branch effect came out well.

9 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Gorgeous tree design :wub: The snow clad branches are fantastic, as are the trunks. Beautiful path too, the bits of snow are a great addition :thumbup:

Thanks guys!!

8 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Beautiful trees! :wub: You don't mind if I steal the technique for future use, do you? The path and irregular snowy base are great. :thumbup:

Thanks Leonardo, the baseline technique is not mine, I saw it first somewhere on Flickr specifically applied for large pine/fir trees. I added the white slopes for the snow. I don't consider any LEGO techniques to be "owned" by anyone, so yeah, go ahead and MOC away!

These trees are great! A very fine moc overall, but these trees man... :wub: